Bad Bunny! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Angry Bad Bunny!

My bunny is driving me nuts! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get a bunny to stop chewing on the cage bars. My bunny does this every morning around 5am!!! Then I get up and feed him hay and go back to bed. Lately he wont stop chewing on the bars no matter what I do, and its always early in the morning when I am trying to sleep. Its driving me nuts.

At first I thought it was because he sleeps during the day so hes up all night. He started this behavior when I would feed him treats through the bars. When he heard the bag of treats being opened, he would start chewing. Now its constantly in the EARLY MORNING. Maybe from when the sun rises??? Who knows,

I read somewhere to put vinager on the bars, I tried that but he just licked it and then continued biting. I read that lemon might help as well, Im going to try that tonight. Do you think convering the cage with a blanket would help? Like they do to birds?

Any info you guys have will be GREATLY appriciated, IM GOING NUTS!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Mine do the same thing. They do it because I feed them veggies and hay in the morning and usually let them out. I don't have many suggestions because I have to deal with it too and haven't really found a solution. Bunnies are very smart and when you do something once, like feeding them at a certain time, they expect to stay on that schedule. Is he in your room? Luckily mine aren't and I keep the door shut. If they hear me get up they start chewing and clanking their bowls around. Try to get on some kind of feeding schedule that he can get used to and don't feed him or play with him late at night or early in the morning. That may help. Good luck. I feel your pain! BTW, I've read that bunnies are most active at dawn and dusk so that could be another reason why he's chewing in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

I hear that there this spray called Bitter Apple, you could try that.
I'd also try not feeding him through the bars.
Also try to ingore him when he does it...I know it's hard...but he probably does it to get you to come to the cage when he does do it for attention.
The Bitter Apple spray worked on my chinchilla though!
Good Luck!!!

~Misty~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Im going to see how the lemon works out, so far so good. I just went to give him a treat and he stiffed the bars and then just waited for me to give it to him instead of biting at the bars. If in the morning the lemon wears off and he wakes me up again Im going straight out for that bitter apple you are talking about!! Thanks guys!!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I think every bunny does this. I would just ignore him and feed him at a regular time. I wouldn't use the bitter apple, IMO, because it might discourage him from chewing on the things that he's supposed to be chewing on...I could be wrong though. Good Luck!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well the lemon didnt work, but what did work was I put a blanket over the cage this morning when he started chewing and then removed the blanket when I woke up to feed him. I guess he wont try and get my attention if he cant see me!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wow, I think my bunnies would keep chewing even if there was a blanket on there! I'm glad you found something that works.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Okay the blanket thing doesnt work anymore!!! I am seriously going nuts. He did the biting thing all night last night starting at 3am!! I had to go sleep on the couch. What is going on here, I dont understand why he is being so bad. He had enough food, hay, water and toys. The only thing I can think of is that he wanted to come out and run around, but that is definitely not happening, I dont feel like watching him at 3am!!!!

Stormshy: What type of bitter apple did you use? Was it made for chinchillas? I have only seen the one for ferrets and for dogs. Im assuming the one for dogs will be too strong for bunnies. Please let me know.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I say, buy ear plugs! I think your bunny just wants attention and you turning the light on is rewarding him in his sense, I would just buy ear plugs and ignore him, he'll stop on his own then, I bet.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

It's a hard one....it's a new game for him!!!! Try setting a time each day that he is let out of the cage...like for an hour before you go to bed. Then say things like 'goodnight' to him and when you are up say 'good morning' and encourage him to play after you have said good morning. He will learn that the time out of his cage is run around time and if you say goodnight and all lights go off he will eventually learn that chewing on the bars is no use. You could try stomping your feet on the ground when he does it of a night so he knows you are cranky about him making so much noise. If he ignores that spray him with a water bottle.
The reason I say to say good night and good morning is cause I say it to my girls and when I get up of a morning they are all quiet and I go out in the room and they stand on their back legs and wait for me to say good morning. If I don't say it they sit back down and go to sleep....if I say it they start banging around in their cage! I don't know how long it took them to be like this cause I was never really training them...I just always say good morning!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

your bunny's really not trying to be bad, it is more of and "out cry" for attention...but the bitter applestuff i used was more for ferrets, but i checked with my vet about it being okay for my chin, I'm sure it would be fine for your rabbit too, but you could always ask just to be sure.

The good moring thing from RSbunny sounds like a good idea...it could take a while however. But basically when he does the chewing in the middle for the night if you give him any attention at all, yell at him, stomping your feet, or even turning on the light it lets him know that your paying attention...and that's prolly all he really wants.
Keep us posted!! I hope things get better!!!!

~Misty~

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

From now on Im going to do the goodnight/good morning thing, hopefully he will get it at some point.

Unfortunatly I cant stomp my foot when he does this in the middle of the night because I have neighbors downstairs...instead Im going to try what RSBUNNY said about letting him out for a while just before we go to bed...maybe I have to tire him out so he can sleep through the whole night...thanks for the suggestions!

If this doesnt work Im going to go ahead with the bitter apple...my fear is that he will actually like it! He seems to like everything else Ive tried....vinager and lemons! Has anyone heard anything about hot sauce??
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well he did it again last night, even after I let him out for an hour before we went to bed. This time I did not react to his chewing. I just laid there in bed, didnt move and tried to fall back asleep! He would chew for about 20 minutes and then stop when he realized I was not reacting. He did that periodically through the night. Hopefully he will learn that I am not going to pay attention to him until the morning. Thank you all for the help, it looks like its getting better.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I think the ignoring thing is the only thing that works in most cases. I think that all bunnies chew when they know we will give in lol. They are smart little devils! Some of them give up faster than others. My girl bun will do it for short periods of time and then stop when she doesn't get her way. The boy bun I used to have would do it for hours on end and never give up. It drove us insane! I just got a new boy bun and the chewing hasn't started yet. I'm hoping it doesn't but it probably will lol.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Okay I guess he is chewing because he does not like his cage. He broke out last night in the middle of the night and then when I got home from work today he was out again!!!!!!!!!! I have a little houdini on my hands!!! He seems to really like it under my bed. I dont know what to do he cant be wondering around when im not home, the last thing I want to come home to is everything torn apart and thats what bored bunnies do right? I either need to bunny proof my bedroom and leave the door closed or get a better closure for that door!

Tags
animal hospital, bitter apple spray, cage bars, pet store, stuffed animal