Bad bunny mom - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww, you aren't a bad bunny mom! Stuff like that happens sometimes.

The other day Sakura chewed through my wire protectors and bit a cord. So even though I took precautions it didn't mattter .

I'm looking into metal protectors...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
Jewels -Funny that you said that Charlie was a starter bunny. I have to say that Oliver and Ophelia are our starters.
Any baby bunnies are starter bunnies!!

They are all so different and so cute at being horribly misbehaved and curious that you almost never know exactly what you're supposed to do with them... does that sound about right?

Handling baby bunny syndrome (BBS) has just now gotten easier for me now that I've gotten to the fourth one!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Part of the Pack

Kathy-I have tried rubbing a tiny bit of Ivory soap onto baseboards and it keeps bunny from chewing on things he isn't supposed to chew. I had read it somewhere while researching "bunnies". ONLY IVORY SOAP...because of the ingredients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Part of the Pack

I think my chinchilla marlo used to chew the cords in my room... well I KNOW he did. But about 4 years ago, when he was out in my room, now and then he would just kinda go limp, and sometimes twitch, and just lay there in my arms, I took him to the vet every time it happened, but she coudnt find anything.
Then when I changed my room, I made sure ALL the wires were 1/2 way up my wall, covered with this plastic wire covering so he couldnt get to it at all. And all the sudden, he stopped doing that. So I think it was when he found a wire and chewed on it that he would go all limp.
-But even though you think you have all the wires covered, they always find a way!! smart little critters =)
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am still amazed at how much they get into. Thanks for the ivory tip. I have used the ivory on the baseboards already. It also fills in the baseboards some and also the white covers the wood color.
I thought I had secured my cable wire well enough behind the coroplast but somehow it came out. I was wondering why QVC looked so terrible. Well when I checked that the wire was completely in the wall I found they chewed on that as well. I have a new cable now and have it out of their reach now. I will zip tie it tonight so they cannot pull it out again. I cannot get over that he pulled it out to get to it. At least all the other wires are as covered as possible and I put coroplast on the back of the table so they cannot get behind the table to get to them. I thought that they would not pull on the cable wire. I really must stop underestimating them. I will also begin to check my plastic tubing on the floor lamp and kitty heating pad daily.
Ugh the mistakes! I feel like such an idiot! I KNOW better.Why am I not doing better?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
Ugh the mistakes! I feel like such an idiot! I KNOW better.Why am I not doing better?
Just the fact that you are so worried about it tells us that you are definitely NOT a bad mom. The way I've dealt with it is I find everything I can see, and then I deal with the new stuff as they find it. Eventually there is nothing left to find and they are left to play with their toys instead.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Well they certainly have enough toys to play with. I am always looking for anything fun and new I can find. I just bought sisal rope so Jay and I can make them toys with scraps of wood from Jay's projects.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

And thanks everyone I do feel better.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 AM

Youre a great bunny mum..and tabby was a learning curve and so are these two little devils!
mm bunnies can be ultra destructive or like poor dead oscar never chewed a cable in his life..ever..untilla few weeks before he died we moved the pc trolley and he wanted to squeeze through his fave slot in it and nikki had put the cable in there..only time he ever chewed a cable!
bifs had the electric heater trying to move cable out the way..bertie after a fortnight in my bedroom with my makeshift bunny proofing on my internet cable under my bed..decided on his last night to move it..with devasting damage to 4 inches of the cable..!!
My 9ld bun woozle was a furry termite..a split second and any accessible cable was his..and gone!
Our first bun..kibbleswas a holy terror..ate through my cable tv cable in loads of places whilst i was out shopping and she finally figured out how to move the sliding/folding door to get into the lounge! The teeristrial aerial cable ran along with it..but she didnt touch that one..oh no..she wanted the cable tv one!
we use plastic conduit..looks like small vaccum cleaner hose..comes with a slit down the middle..got it from amazon uk i think..the other stuff was from maplins an online electronics place..you guys have that clear stuff with a slit running through it..

http://www.bunnybunchboutique.com/necessitiesnew.html

that looks very good and i like the citric detterent..i have a bitter lime spary and i use it on the cables..stops the kitties too cos they chew everything being 4 months old!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I have to thank you. Yesterday I found that they chewed the plastic protector on the one light wire to bits. I was relieved that they has not done anything to the wire itself. I unplugged the light immediately to address it later. Then I foundd they got to the kitty heating pad wire. It had the plastic protector on it but it had some room to move and they pushed it to get to the wire. I was way frustrated last night. I took electrical tape and taped up the kitty wire. I used the plastic tubing that they chewed to add a piece for the kitty heating pad and taped the heck out of where they meet. I also taped the tubing to the pad itself and ziptied the cover closed so they cannot get into it. Then I put the plastic tubing back on the wire of the light. I have the light on an upside down wooden crate so I ran the cord through the handles of the crate and wrapped as much as possible under it to keep it out of their reach. Then I put electrical tape all over the plastic tubing they can reach. So far today it's working.
I was so frustrated last night. They just chew on EVERYTHING. And there are bunny chew toys all over their cage and the floor of the room! I hate to shut them back in their cage when I cannot be in the room with them. Even if their cage is plenty big to do that. But I cannot have them hurting themselves. We can replace the woodwork but we cannot replace them.
I am lucky I have figured out a great way to keep them away from the TV electrical wire. I placed coroplast on the table I have the TV on. So it fills the gap between the table and the wall. At least that is holding up!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, chew toy, chew toys, heating pad, litter box, litter boxes, pet store