Bad bunny mom - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Bad bunny mom

Everyone warned me to cover all electric cords. Never to trust a bunny. I thought I was careful. I covered the cords with the tubing for all cords that were exposed. At least I thought. We moved my computer up into their bedroom in the closet. I have my cell phone charger and bluetooth ear piece charger in the outlet strip. It was all plugged in in the closet (we have an outlet in the closet). I kept the door closed all the time. Well, almost all the time. When I was cleaning the litter boxes I would leave it open because I keep the litter and hay in that closet. I kept an eye on them and hadn't thought they had gotten in there until I tried to charge my phone the other night. It wasn't charging. I checked it was plugged in the phone correctly. I checked it was plugged in the strip correctly. Then I saw that the cord was snipped. It looked as if someone cut it with scissors. I felt terrible because now I think that is why Oliver was acting a bit strangely. He didn't so anything that made me think he was hurt. It just seemed like something had startled him. I thought it was the cats fighting in front of him. Now I think it may have been that he had snipped the cord. I am very lucky he is now fine.
I picked up the strip and hung it HIGH on the wall. The cords are not reachable and I now take out the litter and close the door right away.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM

I'm glad he's ok! We had something similar happen with one of our rats not too long ago. It's definitely made me think twice about cord placement since.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 PM

I'm glad he's ok !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Part of the Pack

That was close!!! Glad everything seems fine. It doesn't take them long to find something they are not suppose to have. Lucky took out two chunks of my central vac cord. Lucky for Lucky, he only chewed the coating. So much for vacuuming until I found the electrical tape to patch it up.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

heh, hoppity once got out of his play yard and chewed threw my web cam cord while it was plugged in.. people warn you.. and you think you checked everything.. but they always find something we didnt think of.. something we over looked... but we learn from our mistakes, and thank god our pets live threw them.
im glad olivers ok, give him some extra head pets for us!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

does anyone put anything around their cords to protect it from being chewed? some kind of rubber or something tube like to enclose the cords? any suggestions would help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Awww, your not a bad bunny mom! You did everything you could. He is just a naughty bunny *giggles* Bunnies are like that, little tricksters. Maybe thats why they have a bunny for the Trix cereal o.O lol
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
does anyone put anything around their cords to protect it from being chewed? some kind of rubber or something tube like to enclose the cords? any suggestions would help

i believe you can buy tube stuff at the pet store to protect your cords, but you can also goto a hardware store and buy some rubber hose, might be cheaper from the hardware store, but im not really sure
this isnt really ment to stop them from being chewed.. a very persistant bunny left alone could still chew threw this, and get to the cords, but, it gives you more time to catch them..

My Furry Family
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I feel a little better.
I have the hard plastic stuff around the cords. You can pick it up in the electrical department in hardware stores. I think 10 feet is about $3.50. The problem is I didn't think I had to put it around the cords that were in a closet that I keep closed - most of the time. That is the problem. You open something for a second and they can be in there. I have the door open now (I am using the computer in the closet) and they were trying to get in. Mind you there is not that much room to get in and yet they tried. Now I have the power strip hanging HIGH on the wall. I still need to cover the power strips cord. I bought more tubing last night along with the clear plastic that is used to protect wall corners. They started to chew on the corners and sides of the lineoleum on the cage bottom! Still I feel bad not letting them have the run of the room. I swear if I try to close the cage doors Ophelia looks at me as if to say "why? why would you close that?" Not that they are not usually in their cage! Bunnies definitely want things their way.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

go you have any grids left over from building there cage? we had a bunch extra so i made a lil ex-pen sorta for him, 2 grids high.. and well ive no idea how long, it basicly cuts our office in half. so he cant get to the computer.

My Furry Family
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 AM

That same thing happened to me in the past. I was using a flat iron and doing my hair close my buns cage (that was closed). When I walked out of the room for a second somehow my bun actually pulled the cord into the cage and bit it. When I came back in he was running around his cage about 4 or 5 times in circles and then went back to normal. He must have gotten quite the shock!!!

I brought him to the vet for a check up and everything was fine. My vet said that it is important to have a check up after something like that because there could be burns in the rabbits mouth that you would never notice and they have to be treated. I would maybe bring your bun for a check up
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Charlie was the "starter bunny", so needless to say many mistakes were made!

Charlie taught my husband the value of cordless video game controllers... more than once... we'll just leave it at that...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Do you think it's still necessary to see a vet since it's been a week?
I will call them tomorrow and see. I hope I can get an appointment. I tried to get one for my dad's cat and they can't see him until next Saturday - but maybe because Boo has not been there before.
Oh poor Jason. I know my Jason would not be too happy if they got through his cords but his cords are a lot thicker. He plays bass and guitar and the cords are pretty thick and covered with material. Luckily the buns are upstairs and Jay's things are downstairs.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

if its been a week and hes eating fine and acting normal, i wouldnt think its really necessary, but thats just me.

My Furry Family
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Jewels -Funny that you said that Charlie was a starter bunny. I have to say that Oliver and Ophelia are our starters. Tabby may have technically been a bunny but she was very special and not able to get around like most buns.
I guess we will get this. Oliver and Ophelia are not the patient teachers that Tabby was but they are trying. I am really glad that they have each other.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, chew toy, chew toys, heating pad, litter box, litter boxes, pet store