bad rabbits!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

bad rabbits!?

I heard some rabbits in the wild will sick or old rabbits mercilessly to death. Domesticated rabbits seems to be less vicious and only haras until the target is sick.

I read it from cramptonarts.com and mypetrabbits.com. I can't give you the exact link because I dont have over 20 post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

o.O I've never heard of that. And if that's the case, that's unfortunate, but it's survival of the fittest out in the wild, and you can't do anything about it. The old and ill must die so that the strong and healthy can thrive.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Rodentologist

I've never heard of that happening either. Domestic rabbits generally won't harass sick or old rabbits either. If anything, ours seem to know their friends are sick and spend extra time cuddling and grooming them.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

Domesticated and wild animals behave very differently. A lot of wild animals will cannibalize or desert sick members of the group to maintain the safety of the rest. It's not really bad, it's just nature. Even domesticated mice/hamsters/gerbils will eat their young if they are stressed or in a time of 'famine' (neglect from the owner). They do it to ensure they have enough food, and they can always have another litter later.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The only difference between how domesticated and wild animals act in regard to that is the health of a group-mate. With domesticated animals, they are more likely to stay with their sick group member(s), because they are of no threat to predators inside a home. Whereas, out in the wild, there are very few species who will stick around with a sick mate, and the ones that do, are the ones that can otherwise defend themselves, like Elephants. Wild deer kick the sick ones out of their herd, and many other prey animals do the same. Meanwhile, BOTH domesticated and wild animals will abandon/kill and or/eat their young that they sense something wrong with.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

What species of rabbits did you read the article about, binkies?

Domestic rabbits are decedents of the European rabbit, who where the only species of rabbits to be domesticated. European rabbits do live socially in the wild.

There are a lot of species of rabbits though, and not all of them are as social as the European rabbits are.

I'm just curious about if the rabbit species talked about in the articles where European rabbits, or perhaps another species not know for being as social.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
What species of rabbits did you read the article about, binkies?

Domestic rabbits are decedents of the European rabbit, who where the only species of rabbits to be domesticated. European rabbits do live socially in the wild.

There are a lot of species of rabbits though, and not all of them are as social as the European rabbits are.

I'm just curious about if the rabbit species talked about in the articles where European rabbits, or perhaps another species not know for being as social.
That's a good point, different species of the same type often behave differently.

I asked the local wildlife rehabber about the deer and she said they don't typically drive off sick members, and that they often will stay with a wounded or dying member of the herd if there is no immediate danger. The same goes for malformed fawns, she said the mothers would stay and feed them as long as they could to try and help them get well.

She rehabs orphaned fawns so she knows quite a bit about deer behavior.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
bad, rude