Bathing bunnies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bathing bunnies?

I don't do it, because I don't really see a need to. But I've seen pictures of some people actually bathing their bunnies in a sink. :/ That doesn't seem right to me. I wouldn't think they'd like to be drenched in water, and my old housemate's bunny certainly didn't even like getting spray baths with those "special" small animal no-water shampoo sprays from the pet store.

Do any of you bathe your bunnies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I dont... Ive just never thought she needed it.. and i seriously hope she never does.. since she doesn't like to be held.. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like being held in water. I think it would stress her out way too much. I have thought about maybe putting a pan of water out or something when its warm outside, to see if she would play in it or anything, but haven't yet, since when its hot here David turns the A/c on and i would be afraid of her catching cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Part of the Pack

I have mostly given bunny butt washes. Molly was quite messy once and we put her in the tub with a tiny bit of water. That was way to stressful for her. She was trying to jump out of the slippery tub. I don't think I'll ever try that again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Playful Pup

we have to sometimes with molly, she's has arthritis and struggles to clean her bum properly. shes really good though, she'l just stand there when we put her in the bath (we only ever have the water not much past her paws). she does love a clean bum afterwards tho, i think she realizes it makes her feel better.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I had to bath my bunnies because they hit maturity and started spraying eachother with bright orange wee! I couldnt leave them like it so a bath was the only way of ridding them of it! I put my 2 in the sink and bathed them and i have to say considering they are rabbits both of them loved it!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Strangly, Zeus loves playing in water!

I've never had to give either of my bunnies baths though. They keep themselves very clean and I wouldn't want to stress them out by giving them a bath unless they really really needed it.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I am going to try the water free bath! They are inside bunnies but their feet always smell! I want to try it but my husband thinks that I am crazy! LOL I won't try the water bath! I really don't want to look like I was in a knife fight!! HAHAHA

Medusa (Ball Python)

Ares & Athena

Apollo-Maia (Dwarf) & Hermes-Aphrodite (Floppy/Dwarf) They are both boys!! HAHAHA

Pandora (Savanah Monitor Lizard)

Artemis (Mixed Black Dog)
Don't forget Gary, Bob & Pat (HERMIT CRABS)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

If its just there feet.. maybe you could try putting out a shallow tray of water during playtime to see if they'll go in it? Or, I'm not sure if this would work with rabbits, but when our cat used to come in with dirty feet we would wet our hand and touch there foot, they of course would be disgusted that we got them wet and they would go clean the area.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thank you for the advice Angel! I will try that! Do you ever put anything in the water? Like soap or anything? I don't really want to make them sick or anything!

Medusa (Ball Python)

Ares & Athena

Apollo-Maia (Dwarf) & Hermes-Aphrodite (Floppy/Dwarf) They are both boys!! HAHAHA

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
is a little "special"

Sometimes I bathe Smudge in the summer b/c hes a outside bun. Im just kinda paranoid about flystrike cuz weve had a bun die from it before, and I wanna make sure hes clean and fly-egg free! ^^ I dont bathe him during the winter at all tho, and maybe once a month in the summer. Hes really good about it tho, and he doesnt really freak out or anything.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I put rabbit shampoo in when i bath my boys. They are fine with it and it leaves them smelling sweet! They are also outside buns so i like to keep them as clean as poss to avoid fly strike!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I only bathed Tabby's tushie because she could not clean it herself. She didn't like it and she went very limp. It was horrible the first time but I had to be sure her tushie was clean. After a few she did get better. I used bunny shampoo - they sell it at the store. I was also told by my vets office that I could use dawn. But it is so hard to wash the soap off of them. And you have to be extremely careful that you dry them very well and that they don't catch a chill. I would not bathe them unless there was a good reason - such as Cazamps reason -ewww!!
I did try and wash Teddy when I first got him. Mostly his paws. I thought he had oil or grease on them. He was so white but his paws looked dirty. I found out that it wasn't dirt - he is really tipped in grey fur!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Like cat's rabbits really shouldn't have to be bathed, but with that said I have bathed many bunnies.
Aniseed i found two years ago covered in motor oil, she needed to be bathed to remove the oil from her coat. My Bubba used to get a dirty bum, and to keep him comfortable and clean I would give him 'bum baths'. I also had a handicap bunny who was partially paralyzed. She needed regular bathing, almost daily.

If i have to do a full bath on a bunny I use a hair drier on them. Rabbit fur is very hard to get totally dry. You have to be very careful with the hair drier as the rabbits skin is very sensitive, so you need to move the dryer constantly and never have it close to the skin. I bought a specific dryer with a cool function.

I always wondered why people would wear rabbit fur, after spending hours to get a bunny dried I could imagine wearing a coat that never dried once it was wet :p

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Adolescent Pup

i only clean their feet sometimes they really seem to like it oreyo loves when it rains he always goes by the door to get wet he looks very realxed when it rain on him caramela doesnt like it that much but still enjoys it, oreyo loves going in the sink to get wet but i never gave him a full bath only his feet and butt plus my rabbits are clean freaks if anything dirty is on them they will clean it until its totaly off so for me no need for shower

I LOVE MY BABIES:
OREYO & CARAMELA ( BUNNIES)

( RIP oreyo & caramela i love you
)
COTTEN & CANDY ( PARAKEETS)

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah my husband tells me not to bathe them all the time! Which I haven't but I think that I will clean their feet!!

Has anyone tried the no water powder? Does that work for getting rid of the smell??

Medusa (Ball Python)

Ares & Athena

Tags
pet store