Best Advice?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Best Advice??

I was just wondering....what would be your top 3 pieces of advice for a new bunny owner?...Through trial and error I have discovered these.....

1. NIC cubes for a cage. They are so versatile.
2. Buy a parrot water cup that attaches to the cage so they can't
can't flip their water.
3. Use wire mesh in their litter box so they are not standing in soiled litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 PM

1. 24hr hay and boiled water provision
2. vegetable provision as much as possible
3. comb them as often as possible
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 PM

Sorry, what are NIC cubes and wire mesh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

1.) Read all the articles on rabbit.org .

2.) Spay/neuter your bunnies.

3.) Research diets and provide plenty of fresh veggies, hay, and high-quality pellets.

Although there is so much to know about bunnies I think it's better to have a top ten list! Hehe. For example, new bunny owners also need to know to find a good rabbit vet and how to properly socialize and handle bunnies .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with the above posts, however not all things work the same for all rabbits. My rex has problems with his feet if he is on wire, even coated wire, my rabbits have learned to unhook water cups from the side of the cage and they flip them around like toys, and my rabbits have to live outside, so rabbit.org is of little help. I guess my best advice is:
1) Rabbits have different personalities, so what works for other rabbits, might not work for your rabbit, so try to be open minded about things and flexable.
2) Rabbits need exercise, so if you keep your rabbit inside, rabbit proof your house and provide out of cage time, and if you keep your rabbit outside, weather proof and predator proof and provide a rabbit run or rabbitat.
3) Rabbits need companionship, so if you keep your rabbit outside or are away from home for long hours, consider keeping rabbits in bonded pairs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

NIC cubes is a storage shelving system. They are wire grid panels that can be pieced together to form cubes for storage...but can be pieced together to make a cage in any size. They are sold at Walmart...Canadian Tire...Home Depot...here in Canada. For about $28 you can build a nice size cage with two levels. The wire for the litter box is just galvanized mesh (1 cm X 1cm) holes for waste to fall through. I use Yesterday's news for the litter and found he would eat some of it. This keeps him from doing that. The water cup that I have screws onto the cage so there is no way he can get it off. I totally agree with the above posts too about hay, exercise, vet care, neutering, etc....my suggestions were tidbits that make living with bunny more convenient/less work.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Never underestimate their chewing. Protect all cords and wires. Watch your baseboards. Use ivory soap on things to keep them from chewing. Refresh the soap at least weekly.

Fix your bunny. It really does make them a happier pet. Mine are both much calmer since they have been done.

Any questions post them on paw talk. The people here are GREAT!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

[QUOTE=Luckybunny] The water cup that I have screws onto the cage so there is no way he can get it off. QUOTE]

I have to look for one of those cups! What I had was a cup that came with a wire holder that hooked on the side of the cage. One that screws on makes more sense. It's a great idea.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Bunnyholic - if you go to Oliver and Ophelia's cage thread you can see the NIC cage my husband and I made for our buns.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks, Kathydip. No petshops sell NIC cage here. This is the first time I've seen it. I wish I could buy a set here.

In this forum (I am not sure if there are only Canadian bun parents here), the currency you use is Canadian dolloar or US dollar.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Bunnyholic, no petshops anywhere sell NIC cages. You have to get them at places that sell office supplies. NIC cages are made from grids that are sold to create storage shelves!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Department stores and hardware stores carry them as well...they are usually in the sections that sell closet organizers. Good Luck finding them!

Tags
litter box, vet care, wire mesh