Best Brand of Pellets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Best Brand of Pellets

Hi,
I have a mini-rex mix and I thought I was doing OK with her diet. But, she is over weight and seems to be getting worse even though I cut down on the pellets..
I wanted to know what brand would be a good one for her to lose weight, and then maintain her weight. I believe she is on Purina, that what the people at the feed store tell me anyway..Also she is picky so she wopnt eat alot of veggies i have tryed giving her. So far she will only eat lettuce(romaine), carrots and lil bit of parsley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I feed mine L'Avian Plus and they've never had weight problems (or any health problems, for that matter). I recommend Oxbow if you can find it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 11:29 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Is she getting timothy hay too? She needs grass hay. How much pellets are you giving her a day? A regular mini rex shouldn't need more than 3/4 cup a day. Now it depends what she is mixed with whether she would need more or less than that. How much does she weigh? Can you post a picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

She does get hay, I give her a big handful at night and 2 handfuls of food, which comes out to less then a cup. I dont know what she is a mix of but she is pretty big. I can try and get a picture, the only ones I have are of when she was younger.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe she just needs more excercise. How much out-of-cage time does she get?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I let her out of her cage as soon as I come home from work..that 4:30, I let her play until 11:00Pm..when i go to sleep...thats about 5+ hours a day...She's pretty lazy and dosent do much though...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:12 AM

i feed farm and fleet bulk feed. its not very high in fat and ive always used it and never had problems. it doesnt have any other stuff, seeds, treats exc. in it. you might want to try something like that... and its $5 for a 50 lb. bag!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:58 AM

I give mine oxbow timothy pellets, hay and fresh greens. My bunny is a little on the fat side also because he loves to lay down constantly (especially under the bed!)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:11 PM

You might want to take your rabbit to the vet's just to make sure that there is nothing wrong on the inside with her. Also, do you feed her a lot of treats? Treats make rabbits fat, too, if not fed in moderation.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Also, you said that she doesn't move much. Maybe you could try playing a game with her like hiding treats around a room or teaching her to play fetch. You could also try bringing her outside on a leash. My rabbits love running around outside.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:44 PM

You know honeybunnie, my rabbit is the same way. Is out of the cage from 5pm till 1130/12pm when i go to bed but he just goes under the bed and lays there for hours. My rabbit is a little on the fat side also. I guess some rabbits just prefer to relax all day. My rabbit doesnt play with toys, wont go on a leash, pretty much wont do anything involving any type of exercise!

My vet said he was on the fat side but its not an unhealthy weight. Im just going to leave him be!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I will try to get a hold of a camera to take a few pictures of her.. I also found out she had been sneaking food..my chinchilla food at that...now its in a locked container...I give her a raisin or cranberry or 2 at night when i go to bed...Should I not do that? She goes to her cage very easily because she knows she gets a treat when she goes in at night.I just call her and shake the container and she runs to her cage.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I have a leash for her but i live in an apartment so i have to let her walk around on my front pourch which has like maybe 10ft of grass/cement with a road...or take her to the park but she freaks out around children or more then 2 people..and when people see her they run over and want to touch the bunny. Then she gets so upset I have to take her home. She plays with a rattle thing i got her but other then that she wont play with me, just looks at me like I am a freak.
I was told she was a mini rex mix...but she is to big to be a mini I think...

Tags
grass hay, mini rex, timothy hay