Best News Ever - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Best News Ever

hi, i talked to my brother yesterday trying to convince him to take me to neu. my rabbits, i showed how they started to put feces everywhere in the room, and told him to try to catch them and that they wont let him hold them cuz their starting to become aggressive ( thier not aggressive but they dont let him hold them cuz he always likes to chase them aroud the house and now they dont trust him thats why he cant hold them but i made the agfressive part up cuz i know how much he likes to hold them and told him after their neu. they'll let him hold them and play with them lol) and many other reasons and he finally AGREED!!!!!!!! so i will be taking them to a vet in a couple of weeks ( when they turn 6 monthes) yaaay im sooo happy i get to keep my babies
but to every happy story theirs a problem ! all hospitals are far from my house and the one thats kinda close ( 50 mins away) is very expensive! to neu. a rabbit its 500 dollars!! ( and neu. a cat or dog its 45 dollars crazy ha?) see i was hoping maybe it'll cost $150-200 most people that i asked said its around that price but 500 thats crazy and i have 2 rabbits so it'll cost me like more than a thousand dollars
ill telll the rest later cuz im in school now lol

I LOVE MY BABIES:
OREYO & CARAMELA ( BUNNIES)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

( RIP oreyo & caramela i love you
)
COTTEN & CANDY ( PARAKEETS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Will It Ever Change?

that's great you're keeping them! im so happy and they are too

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Part of the Pack

yay, you get to keep them!! The price you got does seem very high even for a female. I just finished paying $294 for a female which is still very pricey. Have you checked with the shelter to see if they would do it? BTW...you are soooo sneaky (with your brother).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

will im gona check the yellow book thats in their room i just hope oreyo hasnt riped up the parts that have vets. in it lol. oh btw are clinics a good place to neu. ur rabbits i seen some around but ill have to go call them and make sure they have good rabbit experts.

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybunny View Post
yay, you get to keep them!! The price you got does seem very high even for a female. I just finished paying $294 for a female which is still very pricey. Have you checked with the shelter to see if they would do it? BTW...you are soooo sneaky (with your brother).
lool i know i got him from his weak parts lol ( he loves by babies but they never let him touch them so i used that as an excuse for not being spayed llol)
im sooooooooooooo happppppppyyyyyyy omg u guys do not know how relieved i am for getting them spayed
oh and im taking dual enrollment in school so i get to go to college next yr whie being in highschool and im gona take vet. assistant for all pets including rabbits so now ill get a chance to learn more about them and thier illnessness and stuff so i thinks thats good for me cuz ill learn about rabbits and how to treat them and stuff

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok i found some good places, i found one that oretty close like 25 mins. away and its $160 which is good, but i also found a hospital thats really close 10 mins. and it only cost $45 for a short time only and it seems like a good place read about it and read some reviews from previous costomers and some say it good, some say not that bad, and others say it great but idk iv read some posts here that say cheep hospitals are not good so im still kinda thinking about that???

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Call them all and ask how often they do spays and neuters on RABBITS and if they have lost any patients and what the circumstances were.
If they will do it, but have never done it before, keep looking.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the most important thing isn't usually price, it's the vets experience and knowledge of rabbits.

Ask about how many rabbits they've fixed, and out of those did they ever have any pass away for any reasons. Don't go to a vet that's only worked with a handful of rabbits, or one that's had a lot die on them.

To make sure they know what they're doing, it's a good idea for you to read up on the facts then ask your vet questions and make sure they know the right answers too! Like ask them if your rabbit can eat the night before surgery, and the answer should be yes, you do not fast rabbits like you would cats or dogs because they need to have food in their system, and they can't throw up. Also, ask your vet what kind of anesthesia they use on rabbits - isoflurane is usually considered the safest to use on rabbits.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreyo View Post
hi, i talked to my brother yesterday trying to convince him to take me to neu. my rabbits, i showed how they started to put feces everywhere in the room, and told him to try to catch them and that they wont let him hold them cuz their starting to become aggressive ( thier not aggressive but they dont let him hold them cuz he always likes to chase them aroud the house and now they dont trust him thats why he cant hold them but i made the agfressive part up cuz i know how much he likes to hold them and told him after their neu. they'll let him hold them and play with them lol) and many other reasons and he finally AGREED!!!!!!!! so i will be taking them to a vet in a couple of weeks ( when they turn 6 monthes) yaaay im sooo happy i get to keep my babies
but to every happy story theirs a problem ! all hospitals are far from my house and the one thats kinda close ( 50 mins away) is very expensive! to neu. a rabbit its 500 dollars!! ( and neu. a cat or dog its 45 dollars crazy ha?) see i was hoping maybe it'll cost $150-200 most people that i asked said its around that price but 500 thats crazy and i have 2 rabbits so it'll cost me like more than a thousand dollars
ill telll the rest later cuz im in school now lol

OMG 500 dollars thats like 250 pound over here thats way to pricey for a vet cant you look around for another vet, vets over here charge about 50 pound (about 100 dollars) if you cant find another vet do a little research on em first just to make sure your not being ripped off maybe you could find someone who has used that vet and ask their opinion, if not then i hope everything goes well for ur little buns xxx

Last edited by mamabun; 04-11-2008 at 05:55 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Yeah, the most important thing isn't usually price, it's the vets experience and knowledge of rabbits.

Ask about how many rabbits they've fixed, and out of those did they ever have any pass away for any reasons. Don't go to a vet that's only worked with a handful of rabbits, or one that's had a lot die on them.

To make sure they know what they're doing, it's a good idea for you to read up on the facts then ask your vet questions and make sure they know the right answers too! Like ask them if your rabbit can eat the night before surgery, and the answer should be yes, you do not fast rabbits like you would cats or dogs because they need to have food in their system, and they can't throw up. Also, ask your vet what kind of anesthesia they use on rabbits - isoflurane is usually considered the safest to use on rabbits.
well i asked if they do alot of rabbit surgeries and they said yes, and i went to their site and all the comments were good saying that their very nice and knowledgable about wat their doing but ill call them tomarrow about all the other stuff, thank alot for all ur help u guys dont know how nurves i am and at the same tiime happy... weird feeling lol

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

oh and what should i do the night before the surgery anything diffrent?should i give them antibiotics the vet said that i can get them antibiotics after the surgery. how should i treat them after surgery i read some where that i shouldnt carry them and that i should seperate them? any info

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Part of the Pack

There is no preparations that are needed...just lots of snuggles because you feel guilty putting them through this...but it is for their health and well being.

Metacam is a pain reliever that my female was put on twice a day for three days after her surgery. My male was not given any pain medication...he rebounded beautifully like nothing happened.

I'm not sure if bonded bunnies should be separated or not. If there was conflict before surgery I would think they should be separated until the healing is done. Females 14 days...males 7 days I believe.

Supervised playtime is needed to control the amount of activity they are doing. No binkies...no jumping up on furniture. They could undo stitches.

If bunnies are grooming too much after surgery they may need to wear a collar so they can't work at the incision.

It is surprising how fast they resume their normal activity.

You will also need to check the incision at least twice daily to see that all looks well.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

can i carry them or not?

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Part of the Pack

I think you could carry them. You will need to lift them to check out the incision so as long as they are not struggling to free themselves it should be okay.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

make sure you get pain meds for female bunnies. i've heard thats very important

[/CENTER]