Between a rock and a hard place... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Between a rock and a hard place...

So...to make a [beginning of a] long story short, me and my mom went out to a pet store to buy some hay for Sunny, and, they had rabbits there. So of course, me must playz wif teh bunz.!

WELL...

I noticed there was about 6 buns in a triangular tank with an opened top, so, air ventilation was good. BUT, the tank was big enough for the rabbit (they were all pretty small, all females, different breeds and bonded well) to take 6-10 hops from one side to the other. It seemed is if they had nothing to do, so they just decided to sleep, and they were all in one corner, sleeping almost on top of each other, in a little bun-pile.

Now, I've been wanting a new rabbit (preferably female), and & willing to take the time to bond her/him with Sunny.

So, I really wanted one from the pet store (I know, they're usually sick or something), but got to thinking about the sickness issue.

So then I thought to just adopt from my local humane society.

Now here's where the issue comes at hand..

I don't like the fact of those rabbits being all bunched up together, with nothing to do, and think I could make a good and better-loving- home for one of them.

But then again, it probably is just contributing to the whole "puppy (using that as an example) mill" or backyard breeder issue.

So, I need your guys' opinion. What would you do? It's kind of like 2 different types of rescues.

Thanks for your opinions.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

If their conditions at the pet store where bad, you can report the store.

When you buy from a pet store you are supporting the sales of rabbits there. True, the one you get will be the lucky one, but what happens to the one the store gets in to replace the one you just bought?

If you want to rescue, look to adopt from a local shelter or even look on sites like craigslist where I usually see at least a couple of rabbits a week listed for free. If you adopt from a shelter, you can save yourself a lot of trouble because they come already spayed/neutered, vet checked, and you should be able to take Sunny in to meet the rabbits up for adoption before you adopt, so you can see how they get along. And the money you pay for the adoption fee will go towards saving the lives of more animals, instead of towards buying more animals to stick in a tiny little cage and sell to anyone who comes along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, I think that should really be up to you. It is a wierd place to be put in, but honestly if the pet is really what you're looking for, and you feel that great connection (and its healthy enough) I think you should do what you want to do. Whichever animal you feel the most connection with, go with that one. Not because they 'need' a better home (which sounds like that is both the situations).

As much as anyone will say what they'll say, its hard to resist an animal you've fallen in love with at the pet store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

While I can relate to what you're saying, it's even harder to fall in love with them and buy them, only to deal with medical problems their whole lives and then have them pass away far to early due to problems caused by bad breeding.

Not to say that that will be the fate of every single pet store rabbit, but it's all too common and it's heartbreaking.

Also if you bring home a sick one, and rabbits can hide illness well so it could be sick with no oveous signs in the store, you are putting your current rabbit at risk of catching whatever the pet store one may have.

I'm an advocate for adopting. If that doesn't work out for some reason, consider finding a good breeder, because their animals should be far healthier than pet store ones.

Basically it's like what you said in your first post, buying a pet store rabbit is comparable to buying a pet store puppy mill puppy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankz View Post
So...to make a [beginning of a] long story short, me and my mom went out to a pet store to buy some hay for Sunny, and, they had rabbits there. So of course, me must playz wif teh bunz.!

WELL...

I noticed there was about 6 buns in a triangular tank with an opened top, so, air ventilation was good. BUT, the tank was big enough for the rabbit (they were all pretty small, all females, different breeds and bonded well) to take 6-10 hops from one side to the other. It seemed is if they had nothing to do, so they just decided to sleep, and they were all in one corner, sleeping almost on top of each other, in a little bun-pile.

Now, I've been wanting a new rabbit (preferably female), and & willing to take the time to bond her/him with Sunny.

So, I really wanted one from the pet store (I know, they're usually sick or something), but got to thinking about the sickness issue.

So then I thought to just adopt from my local humane society.

Now here's where the issue comes at hand..

I don't like the fact of those rabbits being all bunched up together, with nothing to do, and think I could make a good and better-loving- home for one of them.

But then again, it probably is just contributing to the whole "puppy (using that as an example) mill" or backyard breeder issue.

So, I need your guys' opinion. What would you do? It's kind of like 2 different types of rescues.

Thanks for your opinions.
There are several things to consider with this:

1.) Pet stores are notorious for missexing their animals, even easy to sex animals like rats and guinea pigs. Rabbits are tricky to sex. It's easy for them to say "Yeah, they're all girls!"

2.) Rabbits are notoriously picky about their partners. When this bunny grows up and is spayed, it's possible your rabbit won't even like her! Are you committed to keeping this new rabbit in a separate cage and then getting a partner for each of the two?

3.) Do you have a big vet fund? Mill bred store animals are notorious for carrying illness. Pasturella and E. Cuniculi are both diseases that can kill your rabbit and that can't be cured -- they require a lifetime of management. And both can be carried by "healthy looking" animals, but they thrive in the disgusting conditions perpetuated by pet stores and animal mills. I've also been told by numerous breeders that there is an odd disease tearing through rabbit herds, and many of the less scrupulous ones are selling off their exposed stock to pet store to "start from scratch" (so to speak).

4.) Yeah, it's perpetuating the mills too. You're giving money to the pet store and telling them in the clearest way possible that you support this -- with $$$$.

I wouldn't consider it a "rescue" because when you "rescue" that one, you're just dooming another rabbit to have to endure the same thing.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I recommend to rescue from a shelter instead of buying from a store. As everyone else said, "rescuing" from a pet store serves only to support the mills and stores breeding and housing practices. Any money you give to a store is money you could have given to a reputable rescue.

Bottom line: You can pay money to rescue a pet from a source which will work to continue overbreeding unhealthy animals, or you can pay money to rescue a pet from a source which is working to eliminate overpopulation and breeding mills.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Well, I think that should really be up to you. It is a wierd place to be put in, but honestly if the pet is really what you're looking for, and you feel that great connection (and its healthy enough) I think you should do what you want to do. Whichever animal you feel the most connection with, go with that one. Not because they 'need' a better home (which sounds like that is both the situations).

As much as anyone will say what they'll say, its hard to resist an animal you've fallen in love with at the pet store

Ugh! I agree with you all. Becrac16, the last sentence is so true. They're all such cute buns..it's hard to resist. It's the bunny lover in me .

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The thing is if you rescue or get from craigslist there is no saying that you aren't getting the older version of the same thing. They all need homes, the ones at the rescue were most likely gotten at a petstore, the same for craigslist or backyard bred. So besides supporting the pet trade at a store you may still be in a round about way, theirs no way of saying that the person that you got a bun from on craigslist didn't just get tired of that one and want a new bun from the store. Or they may know of health issues and deside to get rid of it.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Rodentologist

That's definitely true with a private rehomer, but a reputable rescue is not going to send home a rabbit to you that hasn't been through quarantine or that has health problems that they know about. It's unfortunately too, too common for rabbits straight from mills and backyard breeders to be rife with pasturella and other diseases.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Most rabbits I see listed on craigslist around here are listed for free. Maybe the old owners will just get another one, who knows, but if they planned to get another one already then where the old one goes probably won't effect their decision.

So they can get it from a pet store, and you can get one from a pet store, and you can both show the store that you support what they are doing. Or you can take in an unwanted one instead of supporting that. Even if the other person still buys from the store, at least you are one less person doing so. As long as people continue to buy them, the store will continue to stock them. If more people adopted or took in rehomes, the pet store wouldn't make as much money from their sales.

A good rescue will have their rabbits checked by a vet, and have it treated for any illness it may have.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

Buying from a pet store is exactly that...buying.
It is not "rescue".Buying an animal from a store just opens another place up for more bunnies to be sold.

It is alot better to rescue from a rabbit rescue or shelter.
If you don't want that,then find a reptubale breeder.There are thousands of homeless animals out there though.I have also gotten animals from free ads like Kijiji and NLCLassifieds.But you never know what your going to get,people lie all the time...I found that out with one of the cats I got from someone from one of these sites.

I know what you are saying though,I have been to pet stores and wanted to take animals home and I won't lie,I have bought animals before.But I am more of a rescue/adoption supporter.

The small animal rescue here where I got one of my rats and my pigs are FULL right now with rabbits.They cannot take in anymore animals,because they are full and short on foster homes...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *