Bi-Odor for Bunnies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Question Bi-Odor for Bunnies?

I saw a product called Bi-Odor for bunnies, ferrets, etc. I know people that say it worked great for ferrets, but wanted info about it before I consider it for my bun. You can put it in their water or food, and I guess it makes their urine not smell as bad? We are on our 3rd cage, and our whole house smells! We lived in an apt before and people would come in and not know we had any animals it smelled so great. We clean the cage weekly, empty the litter pan like every other day. We got the second cage with a wire bottom, but it was like one of those wooden ones, and it reaked the day after cleaning. We thought we just couldn't get the urine smell out of the wood, so we went out and got a 2 level, comfort grated bottom cage, really nice. Well, I figured she was getting used to her new environment, she was going outside the box and going up to the 2nd level and going potty there. We had to take out the comfort grate and the second level to see if it smelled better, to no avail.We use Yesterday's News and have used Carefresh and Feline pine, and nothing is making it smell better. Any suggestions? Or has anyone tried the bi-odor? Oh one more thing..so I ask the girl at the petstore about it, she says"Oh we have it for ferrets, but never heard of it for bunnies" (This was another pet store, but i saw it for myself at petsmart, i know it exists) And I tell her about how it smells and nothing works, and she looks at me like im weird. Then she said "Well another thing you could try is this, someone recommended it" She takes me over to the fish section, and shows me these amonia pebbles and says I could put this at the bottom of the litter pan! Well, I know u cannot put cat litter in the litter box part, the bunny could injest it! Wouldn't these pebbles be bad as well!! Unless she meant under the wire bottom part, but I don't think thats how it sounded. The bunny would eat those pebbles in her box, she eats everything.It sounds bad to me?! Thanks for any input

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 04:35 PM

I have the same problem! (My rabbit's name is bun bun too ) Especially when you're used to the odor free chinchillas, rabbits can be stinky! I put baking soda under the cage where all the waste goes and that helps a tiny bit, but I haven't found any definite cure for a stinky rabbit. I'm kind of nervous about that stuff you give them to in thier water that's suppose to make thier urine less stinky. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has been successful with it though!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Its not just me then! lol. Oh, that baking soda sounds like a good idea! Hey, if it helps a little, thats good! I really want to know if anyone has used this stuff, hope we get some feedback. I just didn't want to use it unless I heard some experiences with it. I originally named my bunny Chloe, but we started calling her BunBun and it stuck! I know, they are alot different from chinnies, they don't smell! I also have a hamster, and I thought the cage smelled bad and when I started to use carefresh, I don't notice the smell as much now. It works great for Oreo. What type of bedding do u use for BunBun?

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

*Becki and I* are still waiting to see if anyone has tried Bi-odor?! I took your advice and put baking soda on the bottom and used Carefresh this time, and it smells somewhat better, I think!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:15 AM

I didn't see your first reply! I don't use any bedding, her cage bottom is 1/2"x1/2" Hardware cloth (with a mat for tootsie relief) so the stuff just falls through, and then underneath I have plastic dropcloth (which actually goes all the way up the wall too b/c we had a problem with flinging pee everywhere ). So I just put newspaper down and sprinkle a TON of baking soda on it. It was supposed to be a temporary setup, but I couldn't find another home for her after I got her cleaned up, so she's still in there because even though it's a pain, I couldn't afford a storebought cage nearly that big for her.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:54 PM

Some people I know use a product called Zaps-It and they say it reduces the odor ALOT. They just spray it in the pan, or on the shavings.

What is the product that supposedly reduces odors when put in their water? I've never heard of that. Some people I know use vanilla in the waer to help reduce flies in the summer and they say it helped to reduce odor also, but when I tired it, I thought the urine smelled stronger
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:37 PM

Wait - I reread and saw that Bi-Odor would be put in the water - not in the pan. Opps! Do you know what the ingredients are?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Hi KimmyAnne
Sorry it took me awhile to get back to ya, I just saw this post the other day. Yes..Bi-odor is what goes in the water. I found the ingredients online, so I didn't have to type it all, lol... here they are:
Ingredients:
Deionized water, aspartic acid, threonine, serine, glatamic acid, glycine,
alanine, valine, methionine, isoleucine, leucine, tyrosine, phenyalmime,
histidine, lysine, arginine, cysteine, proline. May or may not contain sodium
bicarbonate, hydropropyl methylcellulose, sodium benzoate.

Made with 100% natural ingredients
Used and recommended by top breeders and veterinarians nationwide

It says you can also put it in their food, too. What do you think? Is this any good? Hmm Zaps, never heard of that, sounds good. Where do you get that? A regular petstore?
I also have the problem with the litter pan, she keeps pulling it off and playing with it around the cage, or she sits in it, I can't keep the thing in the corner. lol. Jeese Becki, there is pee on my floor too, what are they doing! LOL

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 04:22 PM

Does it make their urine less acidic? I guess that might not be a bad idea. I want to bring my bunnies in this winter but I have the 3 of them and it would be pretty foul in here.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Herp Nerd

I have a Snuggy Bun Bun... but I tend to just stick to frequent cleaning and baking soda. My ferrets are definitely the odor makers in that room.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 12:49 PM

I wouldn't use it personally (outside rabbits, don't mind a bit of odor ), but you could always try it and find out?? But, I'll tell you right now, it's not used by top breeders - LOL. I just thought it was funny that they advertised it as such. I don't know one person who uses that.

Could you try wiring the litterbox in the corner? Some rabbits are just bums and like to throw everything around Some of mine are expert at ripping food dishes off the sides of cages
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Bi-Odor for Bunnies

Hello, I'm Ricardo. I'm new to the forum. I came accross this posting and felt compelled to share my experience. I live in San Antonio, Texas, the area is humid here, so I have my English Angora bunnies inside my home. I show my bunnies and raise breed them for wool or pets, too, but mostly for Show Quality. Well, the first day I had them, they smelled horrible due to their urine ammonia and the stool. I had to open all windows and doors. I found the Marshall Bi-Odor from the bunnyrabbit shop and I am SO happy with it. I clean my cages every 3 days and replenish the plastic, newspaper, and some pellets for the urine. I groom my bunnies 1x/week. The odor is almost eliminated. there is a bit of odor of food and hay, at times, but I have a window open and open the door when I get home to air out the place. I use 2 (2 little) bottles I fill with water and squirt 5 pumps of the liquid into the water (one pump per rabbit), I shake the bottle vigorously, and then I give it to my bunnies. I keep the water in the fridge, CLEARLY LABELLED, and they get cold water. I cannot say anything bad, but ONLY praises for the Bi-Odor. The only drawback, it oncly comes in an 8oz bottle, unlike the other for ferrets which comes in 32oz. It can be a bit steep if you have lots of bunnies. I usually go through 2 per month, which is not so bad, if you can afford it. I rather spend $20 or so per month on the Bi-Odor, than have a house smelling really nasty.
My site is at: http://roadtoangorarabbitry.webs.com/
feel free to visit and email me. I'd like to keep in touch with rabbit breeders, too, and make a good circle of friends.
Hope this post helps out.
God Bless,
ricardo
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

This topic is 5 years old.

Tags
feline pine, food dishes, litter box, litter pan, pet store