Biscuit & Gravy - update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Smile Biscuit & Gravy - update

Hi Guys

Sorry I haven't posted in a while - work, kids, bunnies - you know how it is.

I took both buns in to be spayed and neutered earlier this month and they're doing great.

They lived next door to each other in their cages and had ajoining playpens since about 3 days after surgery. My first attempt at letting them meet ended quickly because Biscuit was only interested in humping and Gravy wanted none of that. After about a week, I took down the barrier between their playpens, sat inside, and let them meet again. Everything went really well.

I've let them spend all of their out-of-cage time together and to this day I haven't seen any aggression from either one of them. They chase each other, and binky together, so I guess I got pretty lucky on the bonding issue. They don't hug up to each other or groom each other yet, but they seem to be content in the same space. The only thing I have noticed that's a little odd, is that Gravy doesn't want Biscuit coming up and sniffing her. She's not afraid of him, because she'll take off when he comes up to her, but she'll make a circle and come right back around and sniff him. She'll crawl all over him, and sniff him, and that seems to be fine with him as long as it's not his hind feet.

I moved them into their new house w/ attached playpen today - and so far, so good. I decided they should have plenty of space, so I built them a 3 story condo. Here's a picture:

They're both resting on the second level - Gravy is laying in the back right corner, and Biscuit is in the front left. (This is what my dining room looks like now, by the way.) Had to move the table to make room for the babies. Who needs a table to eat anyway... lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm glad to hear things are going well! Your dining room set up sure looks like mine! ahhh the things we do for our babies
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Part of the Pack

i love your set up! its beautiful! i'm sure your buns absolutely love it!

i wish my two buns would binky together instead of fight! i would love to see that!!! hehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you Chrissy & Fane81

The bunny setup used to be in my living room and it got so big we were having to detour over the coffee table to get through...

Yeah, the things we do for our babies! And to think, I started out not wanting any animals in the house, and now they practically own it!!

I caught them a few minutes ago, but couldn't get to my camera in time - Gravy was letting Biscuit groom her ears and neck. Of course when she was tired of it, she just went hopping off. I guess that would mean she's the dominant one since she's not returning the favor yet??
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

YES!!! I caught them again. Didn't have anything near me but my camera phone and it's a shot through the fence, so the picture is kinda crappy, but here they are:

And - I've noticed that more often now when Gravy gets close to Biscuit, she'll put her head down like she's waiting for him to groom her. Of course, he's your typical male, and she doesn't always get what she expects (no offense intended to the men out there)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

their bonding really was quick!!
they are an adorable couple!

i love your setup, are those just squares of fence that just connect anyway you want them? my buns have their own room, but they only have "one story" - i'd love to build them something like that
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have 2 dog kennels in my dining room. We haven't bought a dining room set yet and I have to say I am in no hurry to get one. It is so easy keeping the dogs in there. I have a nice cover over them. On Thanksgiving I put up folding tables and chairs and use their kennels as a buffet table!
The cats and Tabatha share a room. We only have furkids. I don't think I would have room for a non furkid at this point. Unless they are willing to share a room!
I like your set up. It is very spacious. I could never go up with Tabatha she is too unsteady for that. Right now I have her in an enclosure made from coroplast. I bent up the sides to fit inside of the xpen my mother in law had for a nephew. To be honest I don't think I need the xpen. The sides of the coroplast are about 8 inches high and I don't think Tabatha could clear it. But I worry she may try to climb it and get hurt. So I keep the xpen up but have an opening for the cats to go in and out. They just love to lay in her enclosure!
I am glad to hear their bonding is going so well. They are just too cute together! I wish the kitties would groom Tabby. Maybe one day!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi Jewels & Kathydip

Thank you, I think they're adorable too, but I'm a little prejudiced

They did bond pretty quickly, but I think I have to attribute it to Biscuit having such a laid back personality. Gravy is a little more high strung, and I'm sure another high strung bunny would have made bonding more difficult. I can't pick Gravy up without a getting pretty scratched up because she hates it, so I don't try unless it's a necessity. When I pick up Biscuit for something, he's kind of like "okay - no big deal" as long as I don't touch his back feet.

The squares are Target's and WalMart's version of the Neat Idea Cubes. They're really great and versatile for whatever you have in mind. The only thing I hate is cutting the ends off of those zip ties - after a while my fingers get really sore.

It would be wonderful if the kitties would groom Tabatha, it would be so sweet and I know she would just love it, bless her little heart.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 08:00 AM

What did you use for the bottom? Do they use their litter box? Tabatha stopped using it. Not that she used it for long and she really only peed in it. I believe that she stopped b/c of her condition. I would love for her to start again but I am not pushing her.
I would like to have a bigger hop area for her and I am trying to think of the easiest way to set it up. It would be when I could watch her not all the time.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The cage itself doesn't have a bottom. They use their litterboxes about 99% of the time, so what I did is use some cheap vinyl tablecloths to protect the carpet on the very bottom. Then I took an inexpensive area rug (5' x 8', I think) and used it as the next layer. More tablecloths are wrapped around it to keep any liquid from soaking into it. Then it's covered with 2 full size flat sheets. If somebody pees outside the litterbox between washes, I spray the spot with vinegar to kill the smell and keep them from continuing to use that spot. The cage is light enough that I can move it with someone helping on the other end. I can pull the sheets and wash them once a week. I use a shop vac to get up the runaway poos and the hay every day. They do like to pull the sheets underneath the fence in the play area, but now they're wrapped under the edge of the rug and I use medium binder clips to hold the fence in place and keep them from pulling the sheets. They can't pull the sheets from under the cage area because the cage is heavy enough to hold them in place, so they are just wrapped under the edge.

You might be able to set up a play area the same way for Tabatha with an area rug, tablecloths and sheets. And since it would be only while you're watching her, you probably wouldn't have to use the binder clips and you could set the fence more inside away from the edges of the rug. Then, just take the sheet(s) after she's back in her cage and wash them for next time. You could even get away with using just the tablecloths and sheets if she isn't bad about pulling the sheets under whatever fence you set up.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:46 AM

That is a good idea! I am using bath sheets now to line her enclosure. I cannot believe I didn't think of a bed sheet. I already have clear a plastic tablecover to keep the floor safe all I needed was something for her to get traction on. I have some old flannel sheet that would be perfect! I don't think I will need any clips b/c she is such a good bunny and wouldn't pull on the sheet. Oh thanks so much!

I keep saying that I still know nothing about bunnies - I only know about Tabatha.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I hope it works for you. She is such a pretty baby.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks! She really is one of the brightest lights of my life! I am still amazed at how much I love this little creature I never realized I wanted or better yet needed!
Bunnies can really change a person! I never ever thought I would say I was a bunny person - but she has converted me 100%!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
litter box