In a bit of a predicament here.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

In a bit of a predicament here....

A few days ago during his floortime, Smudge decided my bed would make a wonderful litterbox, and peed all over it. Im not mad at him or anything, cuz I know he didnt mean any harm... I just wish it could have been before 10:00 pm.

My moms regretted getting rabbits for a really long time, and now she seriously wants me too get rid of him... I could NEVER do that, and never will- even the thought makes me cry.

Shes sick of the fuss Ive been constantly making for the last 3 years about how much I want to keep Smudge inside, about how he "destroys everything" (he honsetly doesnt do that much), about how many stains are on my carpeting from him...

I just dont know what to do right now. I guess hes not allowed in my room anymore, but Ill still bring him up there... its the only place hes allowed to run around.

I feel so terrible about everything... I love him to death and want to give him the best life I possibley can, and its so hard when I cant.
The fact that Im constantly threatened that I have to get rid of him sure isnt making me feel any better...

Ive been thinking about getting him fixed so he'll use his litterbox better, but Id be really scared too. Hes over 5 now, and Im not even sure it would make much of a difference anyway. Another thing with that that Im worried about is the money... I have more than enough to get him fixed, but Im worried that if I spend $300 on that, I wont have enough to cover a real emergency... I dont get help financially for any of that kind of stuff, and if I couldnt afford treating him in an emergency Id have to put him down.

Im sorry for my ranting, but I just feel like Im in such a hopeless spot here. I definatly dont want him to be stuck in a cage 24/7, but I dont want ot put any more stress on my mom... She already gets enough crap from my dad, and she doesnt need anything else from me.

I dunno... does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Is there some way I could at least kep him off my bed? Ive had such a nasty week, I really just need some help here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Man that stinks! I wish I had some advice!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 PM
can't think of one, help

Maybe you could make a playpen for him to be in while he's indoors. Something he can be that was comfy, but could be easily cleaned or replaced if he messes in it. Neutering would help with some of it and the scent might not be as strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

What about something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Small-Animal-Playpen-Mat-Cover/dp/B0009YHROE/ref=pd_sim_k_1

A large, collapsible dog kennel might work well too. That would give some room for playtime without letting her out and about.

The connectible storage cubes would probably be a cheaper way to build a playpen, but you'll have to find something to put underneath. A tarp or something else non-absorbent would probably be pretty easy to come by.

Stephanie

Last edited by Jade; 12-05-2008 at 10:20 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry your having so many issues with cute little Smudge!

You could make a rabbit proofed area where he can't do so much damage. Since you know he causes problems on the rugs and furnature, keep him away from them. You could take litlebunnies2's advice and maybe build him some kind of a play pen where the rugs are covered, and he can't get out to get onto your bed. Fill it up with toys and boxes and other fun things for him to play with. You could use something like Neat Idea Cubes if your worried about cost, and could even make them so you could take them down and fold it up after he's done playing. Maybe get a tarp or something to cover the floor so if he pees it doesn't soak into the rug.

Something like this, but maybe you could make it yourself.
http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/mercha...Code=2Playpens

Ha Jade! You must have posted while I was still typing, but wrote pretty much the same thing I did!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

If you want to bring him on the bed but are worried about him destroying the mattress I suggest that you get one of the plastic sheets that people often use on childrens beds in case they wet the bed.
We have one on our bed so that I don't have to worry if a buns piddles on the bed - which has never happened luckily - or the cats puke on it.
It can make you hot at night so you could take it off after he's done playing - or you can get the kind we have that has a terrycloth like top.
I have also used the plastic mattress covers to cover a large piece of cardboard that I used under a NIC cage for extra protection. You could just use that as a bottom of the pen. It's easy to fold when not in use. And easy to wipe down. If he needs more traction you could add an old over it.
I feel for you because I remember how it was to be living with my mom and her threatening to give away my cocker spaniels when I was at work. It's really not an easy thing to deal with.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have the playpen and mat that Jade/Dragonrain posted. I usually use the mat as a cover because my rats can climb out of it, but it does work quite well underneath, blocks the pee and whatnot. It also folds up easily and you can put it in a closet or under a bed.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:07 AM

kathydip gave a really good advice. You should cover the top of your bed with the plastic mattress cover when he's outside his cage. It's cheap and not very difficult at all. Do you watch him when you let him out? It shouldn't be too difficult for you to stop him from peeing on your bed if you were constantly interacting with and watching him while he's in your room.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I was going to say a play yard too, And one of those waterproof sheets on the bed, If you cant find one, you can use a shower curtain too. you can buy them at the dollar store, i used to always keep one on my bed just in case something spilled or when my cousins stay over they had accidents sometimes. they work great.

My Furry Family
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks everyone for your advice!
I alread use my NIC cubes for a pen type of thing in my room... I makes gates around any cords, block off my closet, and make a gate around my dresser so he cant get under there either.
I never thought of a plastic sheet thing before. But the thing is, he has to be 100% off my bed... Apparently he not even allowed to go there at all unless Im with him. I guess I could try to make a 3 foot high gate going around my bed, but that might be kinda hard to do.
Is there some way he just wouldnt want to be up there? Like if I could put something that rabbits find unappealing on my bed...?

Squirrely~ If I locked myself in my room for 4 hours a day, my mom might get a lil worried! Im usually in there for a hour to an hour and a half doing homework, and otherwise I check in on him every half hour or so. Its the best I can do to get him some exercise...

Oh, and I just wanna say thanks to every one for putting up with me on here lately! I know Im probably getting really obnoxious with all my rabbit problem stories, but this is really the only place that cares, and that I can get any sort of advice from... So thanks every one for your support and help, and Smudge is very thankful too C:

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

You got some good advice on here!
When I had guinea pigs,I would use those plastic tablecloths...you can get them very cheap and you can put those over your bed.You mention he is not allowed on your bed at all?? Is that your mom's rules?

Whynot start litter training him???
I am sorry...I don't have much better advice then that,I don't have bunnies.But I hope you can think of something.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ya, that is my moms rule :C Personally I dont mind, but I gues she does.

He already is pretty well littertrained... In his cage, he goes in his litterbox 100% of the time, and hes pretty good about it in my room- the more hes in there, the better he gets. Practise makes perfect I guess. But its the "practise" that is causing my problem here.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Rodentologist

As far as neutering or spaying rabbits, we've done so as old as 8 or 9. Basically if there's no compelling medical reason not to. 5 is not really that old for a rabbit.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
rabbit