A bit Worried - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy A bit Worried

Hey,
As i last posted i told you that i got a new rabbit !! Well i think i mite need some advice. I got him home the first day and let him settle in and have some food. The next day i graudually started to give him some food. Well i've been noticing that he isn't eating properly and his poo is quite wet and stuck together in a lump.
I'm not sure whether this could be because of the increase of warm weather.
I have noticed that he is not drinking a lot either. I have been out just now and marked where his water level is today and i'm going to check tomorrow at the same time to see how much he is drinking.Me pictures 022.jpg It seems a little weird attaching a picture but i want to be sure.

He was living with other rabbits, so do you think that he is a little lonley ?? I don't like going school i miss them all soo much.

Thanks very much,
All your help will be helpful

RsBowden, Thanks for helping me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss twiggals.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tupence.

Burt

Ruby.

Billy.

Princess

Simpkinn
(gone Missing)

Bubbles

Dillie R.I.P
go to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

That might be its cecotrope. They drop wet poo's that they eat afterwards!!!! They normally look like a little bunch of grapes!!! If it continues or get worse see a vet asap. x

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

hey

Thank you,
Yeah it does look like a bunch of grapes... But i will read more on it ! I shall keep an eye on him

Miss twiggals.

Tupence.

Burt

Ruby.

Billy.

Princess

Simpkinn
(gone Missing)

Bubbles

Dillie R.I.P
go to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

I've never actually seen cecotrope in real life - that could be what it is. Normally you don't see it because the rabbits eat it right away. If you do see it, I think it can mean that the rabbits diet is to rich. Reduce the amounts of greens, pellets, and treats and feed more hay. Remember that hay should make up most of the rabbits diet.

What are you feeding him now, and what was he fed before you got him? I would feed him only lots of hay, and slowly introduce pellets and greens. Something your feeding him could be new to him and could be causing problems.

Are all his poops like that, or just some?

I would keep an eye on his eating. If he's not eating enough he could have problems, such as digestion issues, or even teeth issues.

Remember that rabbits not eating or pooping for a day (12 hours) is an emergency situation. If he doesn't start drinking more (especially if it's hot where you are), or stops eating or pooping altogether, get him to a vet ASAP. You don't want him to get dehydrated or go into GI stasis.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
. If you do see it, I think it can mean that the rabbits diet is to rich. Reduce the amounts of greens, pellets, and treats and feed more hay. Remember that hay should make up most of the rabbits diet.

What are you feeding him now, and what was he fed before you got him? I would feed him only lots of hay, and slowly introduce pellets and greens. Something your feeding him could be new to him and could be causing problems.

Well before i got him, The person i brought him off ws feeding him on a goat mix. But now that i have got him i'm feeding him on Burgess food. I see what your saying about his diet being to rich. this may be why.. Is goat mix quite dull ??

He has hay and straw for his bedding and then i give him fresh hay everyday in his hayrack. I give him plenty of roughage a day.

I have noticed that marking his water bottle i can see how much that he has drank and i'm going to mark it tonight at the same time to see the difference. I will keep you posted about him and how he is getting on. Thank you.
Are herbs good for rabbits because the food i'm feeding him theres herbs in them??
I

Miss twiggals.

Tupence.

Burt

Ruby.

Billy.

Princess

Simpkinn
(gone Missing)

Bubbles

Dillie R.I.P
go to
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
. If you do see it, I think it can mean that the rabbits diet is to rich. Reduce the amounts of greens, pellets, and treats and feed more hay. Remember that hay should make up most of the rabbits diet.

Well before i got him, The person i brought him off ws feeding him on a goat mix. But now that i have got him i'm feeding him on Burgess food. I see what your saying about his diet being to rich. this may be why.. Is goat mix quite dull ??

He has hay and straw for his bedding and then i give him fresh hay everyday in his hayrack. I give him plenty of roughage a day.

I have noticed that marking his water bottle i can see how much that he has drank and i'm going to mark it tonight at the same time to see the difference. I will keep you posted about him and how he is getting on. Thank you.
Are herbs good for rabbits because the food i'm feeding him theres herbs in them??
I have read up about the cecotrope thing... i printed the info out aswell... i have found this very useful.

Miss twiggals.

Tupence.

Burt

Ruby.

Billy.

Princess

Simpkinn
(gone Missing)

Bubbles

Dillie R.I.P
go to
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

sorry i sent it twice but one of them has more info at the end

Miss twiggals.

Tupence.

Burt

Ruby.

Billy.

Princess

Simpkinn
(gone Missing)

Bubbles

Dillie R.I.P
go to
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Part of the Pack

It does look like the cecal poops. I know Lucky used to have those mushier poops like that not eaten when we fed him those store bought treats (puffs and yogurt drops). The poops are real sticky and stinky. Since we have stopped giving him those treats he has not had those poops since.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

Are you sure he's using the water bottle? I give Flash his water in a bowl, because he never did figure out how to use the bottle that came with his cage. But if his poo is wet, he's probably getting enough water.

--Fromper
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Are the rest of his poos normal though? If those are cecals, then there should be other, normal poops in the cage as well.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
Are you sure he's using the water bottle? I give Flash his water in a bowl, because he never did figure out how to use the bottle that came with his cage. But if his poo is wet, he's probably getting enough water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper

Yeahh he is use to a bottle, he had a bottle b4 i got him. I don't like giving them a bowl because usually the water ends up with hay & straw in it.

He does have dry poo buthe has had a lot ceco poo's aswell... if u remember i sed i was marking his bottle to see how much he is drinking and i can see that he is drinking quite well only about an inch a day but that's better then nout !!
Cheersss

Miss twiggals.

Tupence.

Burt

Ruby.

Billy.

Princess

Simpkinn
(gone Missing)

Bubbles

Dillie R.I.P
go to