bloody paw? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Unhappy bloody paw?

Turbo seems to be the dare devil recently, jumping on and off of surfaces.
Just today he jumped off of a small table and right into a crack in the cement, then he faught with me when i picked him up and scratched my arm up, on my arm there was blood ... but it was unusual, normally when he draws blood its direct and on the scratch marks, here it was just blotted... i found bloody paw prints on my shirt and went get him and held pressure on his paw.

it turns out that as he hopped down, the crack in the cement caught his toe nail and ripped the skin around it. he's doing fine and we put baking soda on it to stop the blood because we ran out of our usual quick stop.

what can i do to prevent this from happening again?

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Wouldn't baking sode sting since it's salt?
Unless you can make him a little pair of bunny shoes - I say fill up the crack in the cement

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would say be careful where he runs around, and if he's on something he can jump off of, perhaps put a blanket below!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlee View Post
Wouldn't baking sode sting since it's salt?
Unless you can make him a little pair of bunny shoes - I say fill up the crack in the cement
i called his vet and he said that baking soda will stop the blood flow.

Turbo Bunny

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
I would say be careful where he runs around, and if he's on something he can jump off of, perhaps put a blanket below!
i watch where he is, i have limited him to the hallway (which is a VERY large space its long and wide) and the bathroom when i'm in there (there is nothing he can get on or in without me knowing)

Turbo Bunny

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

so that's good, accidents happen I guess, if you're careful it shouldn't happen again
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

thanks so much. i felt SOOOOO bad when it happened but truthfully, i don't think he even knew he was bleeding. he was fighting me trying to get down and play again and he got mad when i wouldn't let him. its been 3 days now and his paw doesn't show signs of infection or re-opened wounds.

Turbo Bunny

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have used flour to stop the bleeding on my buns paw when his toe nail fell off. I am not even sure what he caught it on. His nails grow so fast and they are very thick. The vet said I need to keep them short so it's less likely to happen.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip View Post
I have used flour to stop the bleeding on my buns paw when his toe nail fell off. I am not even sure what he caught it on. His nails grow so fast and they are very thick. The vet said I need to keep them short so it's less likely to happen.
what is the prime age to cut their nails?
i haven't asked the vet this but i believe it is time to begin.
i just know he won't let me turn him upside down to cut the nails.

Turbo Bunny

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I never thought there was a certain age to do it. More of a when they get long or too pointy. Penelope's nails are not long but they get points like a cat does so I just nip them off. Ollie and Ophelia's never really get long or pointy. So Teddy is the only one that really needs to be watched. Try flipping him over and trancing him for practice. You don't need to leave him long - work up to it. Maybe even give him a treat after he has a calm trance. If he still won't trance -there is always the bunny burrito. You wrap them snugly in a towel or blanket And then try and get one paw out at a time to trim. Having two people helps. I have had to trim Ollie and Ophelia's nails from time to time -I never thought I would live through it since I am not permitted to pet them! I am happy to say it was much easier than I ever dreamed. The first time I refused to believe I would fail. I thought about all the cat nails I had trimmed and just went for it. I think they were calm because I was calm.
If all else fails I have heard that some people take them to the vet to have it. done.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

turbo HATES being on his back.
he's spoiled rotten and always gets his way.
when i go to get him neutered, i'll see if they can cut them and i'll try to take it from there.

Turbo Bunny

Tags
help! bunny's paw!