bonding three rabbits? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

bonding three rabbits?

has anyone here ever bonded three rabbits?
someone wants to give me their angora. or they are taking it to the shelter.
I have already have two rabbits that i have not bonded yet. I would like to bond all three of them together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Rodentologist

Yes, I currently have a quartet of four bunnies in my house right now, and we do tend to try and bond rabbits into trios in our sanctuary so that the remaining rabbits have friends when one passes.

Some thoughts:
1.) you're going to need a pretty huge cage. No animal is going to get along if they don't have plenty of space.
2.) all of the rabbits need to be spayed or neutered.
3.) this is going to take time. You're not going to be able to dump them all in on top of each other in one afternoon and come out with a trio -- this will be an ongoing process that may take weeks or months of work.
4.) you absolutely need to have a backup plan in case all or none of these rabbits will get along with each other -- can you do three cages?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

I have a trio. It took me about 3 months to bond them. In my experience, it was a lot harder than bonding a pair, but it's worth it now being able to have them all live together.

I agree with all the points Jennicat made. Other than that, I don't know if you had any specific questions or anything...but yes, it is possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Thanks guys. Ryo apparently doesnt bond well. I tried bonding her years ago with another rabbit. we tried for 7 months before giving up. I gave that rabbit to my friend because she was wanting one.

Ryo actually has run of the whole house other than one bedroom (where Charmin is) so i can divide Charmin's room for another rabbit.

What will I do about neutral territory??? Since my buns just run loose.
It would be fine if the buns didnt bond. Charmin has his room that can easily be split with another bun, and Ryo has the whole house.

is there a reason rabbits need cages?
If the all bond I would like all three of them having run of the house.
LOL it was sooo hard to bunny proof the whole house!
I am thinking that maybe when I am gone or sleeping I should put them in a bedroom. It is chaos around here anyway with a cat, two dogs, and Ryo running around, much less Ryo, Charmin, another rabbit, a cat, and two dogs! The dogs and cat get along great with the rabbit and are left alone with them with no problem. With three rabbits running around it might stir up some more "instinct"?

Last edited by ratty_ratkins; 10-12-2009 at 12:58 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Rodentologist

I don't think there are neccesarily rabbits that "don't bond", but, like people, it's very much a personality thing, and when you randomly pick a rabbit and try to bond them, it's really a crap shoot. Imagine yourself in a situation where you'd be put into an apartment to live with a random stranger and imagine how well that might go -- as opposed to if you got to interview people and "pick" your partner (like with bunny dating. )

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
I don't think there are neccesarily rabbits that "don't bond"
Tell that to Fiona . She's hated ALL rabbits since she was a baby. Part of me thinks that she doesn't realize she IS a rabbit.

Normally I'd agree, though!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Rodentologist

I would be surprised if you'd introduced her to every rabbit in the world. You'd be a very busy person! One rabbit we had literally went through 15 candidates and was a complete jerk that we thought would never bond. When she met #16 it was love at first sighe.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
I would be surprised if you'd introduced her to every rabbit in the world. You'd be a very busy person! One rabbit we had literally went through 15 candidates and was a complete jerk that we thought would never bond. When she met #16 it was love at first sighe.
I honestly think she just doesn't like other rabbits. The fact that she attacked other rabbits even as a baby was just bizarre to me (usually baby rabbits are easy to bond). I tried, believe me, and that's how I ended up with multiple rabbits in different cages .

Eventually I ran out of rabbits to try (since I was restricted to spayed/neutered ones, of course). I'd love to go adopt rabbits, get them fixed, and try again but I obviously don't have the room for so many separate cages .

Before meeting Fiona, I always felt that every rabbit had a buddy out there. But now I believe there are also one-in-a-million rabbits who simply prefer human company and hate rabbits with a passion. So that's why I think it's best to plan ahead what to do in case the rabbit just doesn't want to live with other rabbits. I can't even let Fiona meet rabbits through bars, she'll attack them. She's made things rather complicated (although she's also the most cuddly rabbit I've ever met) but I do love her!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

I understand that Ryo may have just been incompatible with Alex. After 7 months I just gave up. Too much stress to keep bonding that long! I did everything right, by the book. even got professional help!

then my mother was wanting to find her rabbit a new home (female, spayed) well, Ryo was dead set on KILLING her. After about 2 months I gave up! Mom was missing her bunny and changed her mind anyway so that worked out fine.

I think its a very real possibility that Ryo will not bond to these bunnies. and that is fine. I have three unused rooms!

Ryo is a grump. she doesnt even want much human interaction! only one or two pets. you cannot pick her up either.
and she attacks the broom when you are sweeping LOL

Tags
rabbit bonding