Bonding Time Again - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Bonding Time Again

It has been 5 weeks since Molly was spayed. While she was healing we had her cage beside Lucky's. Yesterday we tried our first re-bonding session (in the bathtub) and it went very well. Lucky kept seeking Molly out for comfort because his footing was not stable enough for his liking even though he was on a towel. Molly spent most of her time digging and trying to eat the tub. Molly stretched out beside Lucky and rested for like a whole two minutes before she began digging again. I hope their next session goes as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Will It Ever Change?

wow im glad their session went so well! thats great to hear that they still know each other. keep us updated!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Day 2- still going well. Molly has been mounting Lucky and he has tolerated it so far. After the 5th time I ended the session so as to not annoy him and risk a fight.

Should I allow her to continue mounting him over and over or should I separate them if it goes on too many times? How long does it take for them to decide who is dominant?

I would also like to start switching them in their cages but their needs are so different. Lucky has an afghan covered with a sheet as well as carpet on his upper floor for his sore feet...but Molly would eat and dig at that. Last time (before Molly got sick) Lucky would go crazy trying to get back to his cage...he even bit her through the bars and lunged at me. Their play area is outside their cages but I fear that Lucky is too territorial about his cage that I couldn't let them play there together. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Day 3- Okay now I need help. Today when I put them together Lucky was thumping. Then Molly was thumping. I have never read or experienced this before. I ended the session because I didn't know what it meant. Are they mad at me or with each other? Not sure what to do next!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Barnaby thumps alooooooooot, usually when he hears a louder than normal noise, or sees people that arn't me. When he thumps, Zeus will too even if Zeus isn't afraid of what made Barnaby thump. But Zeus never thumps first, only after Barnaby does.

Alot of diffrent things could have set them off, but I don't think it should set back bonding any. It's not considered a sign of aggression or anything like that. It could have been that one of them did it for a silly reason, then the other one picked up on it and they just kept doing it in response to each other. Silly bunnies. You probably know this, but they do it when something makes them nervous, to warn other bunnies that they're could be danger. But if one of them does it, the others sometimes do too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Day 4- I did some research on the thumping. It is quite common for them to thump when bonding. Molly once again mounted several times and he was accepting it. I think he may have submitted to her dominance today. He kept seeking her out for some snuggles and he even was licking her head for five minutes which is something he has never done to her before. We are keeping our fingers crossed that this is working.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like things are going great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Day 5- Molly is still mounting but now she is doing some urine spraying as well. Lucky was quite agitated today with her. He did a fair bit of nipping. They lasted about 20 minutes today before getting riled up. We were sitting by a campfire before bonding so I think we may have smelled different and Lucky couldn't relax.

Day 6-It seems when we put Lucky in the tub first, he is more agitated with her. Today we put Molly in first and he was more tolerant. She was not so active today so things went better. Lucky did some nipping but there was no mounting or urine spraying today. This session was 40 minutes.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Will It Ever Change?

sounds like things are slowly working out im happy to hear it!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Day 7 - They spent an hour together today. I put banana on Molly's head and Lucky spent quite a while grooming her. He always gets antsy after a while and then starts to nip. I don't know if he has to pee or what. I tried putting his litterbox in the tub but he wouldn't go in it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Will It Ever Change?

what about giving a treat after good behaviour but before the nipping starts? that might ease his tension?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Other than banana-I'm not sure he would eat anything else. He seems too nervous. He is such a smart bunny. He seems to know when it is bonding time and he stays to the back of the cage. We have a hard time getting him out. The banana has worked a few times but he is catching on to that too. I think today I will try the bathroom floor instead of the tub. Maybe he will feel more secure with a bit more room.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Newborn Pup

In the next few days I will be going through the same thing as you. We are getting Joey (we hope, that is) a female companion. I know that bonding can take awhile but what I was wondering is why do you use the tub? Doesn't that hem them in too close? If one want's to get away they really can't. I was thinking of a small bedroom. What do you think?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Really you just need a neutral area - so choose a room that Joey hasen't been in and marked as his. I think using the bathtub is common because it forces them to be close to each other. It's not necessary though. I bonded my two rabbits in the living room and it worked fine. The only thing with using a big room instead of the bathtub is that for the first couple of days all Zeus wanted to do was explore, so he completly ignored Barnaby. After that though, the bonding went well, so it is very possable to do it in a room

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

You need to be within arms reach in case a fight breaks out as it needs to be stopped immediately. A small space forces them to interact with each other instead of exploring the room.