Bonding tips? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Bonding tips?

Okay I am going to begin to bond Penelope to Oliver and Ophelia. On Monday I brought Oliver and Penelope in the hall bath. They did well. There was no fighting but I didn't push it either. I probably had them together for tops 10 minutes.
Last night I accidently left open the gate to Oliver and Ophelia's room. Ophelia went into the hall and was looking into Penelope's room. She left "evidence" behind in the door way. When I went upstairs it STUNK! One or both of the girls left off their "stink butts". I had to light a match. But neither girl piddle anywhere so I was pretty happy.
This morning though I found piddle in the bunny/kitty bed. I was not too happy about that but all I have to do is pop in in the washer.
I am concerned how Ophelia is going to accept Penelope. I really want my happy little trio. I also want them all together so it is easier to spend time with them.
Any tips?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I've never bonded bunnies myself - but I do some work with shelters so I know a little about it

Well hopefully first off all your rabbits are fixed, because that can really reduce the amount of aggression they could show to one another.

Make sure the rabbits meet in a nuteral area - somewhere neither have been so that the one that's been there before doesn't see the other rabbit as invading his/her teratory. Some people put them in a bathtub or hallway like you said.

If they nip and mount each other - let them. They need to figure out who's boss bunny. If you just let them figure it out, they should stop the nipping and mounting. If you seperate them every time, then it will just start all over again next time they are together. Only seperate them if they are truely fighting.

If they seem to be getting along, let them stay together as much as possable when your around to supervise. They should eventually learn to be good friends.

I've heard of some people bringing the rabbits they are trying to bond into a slightly stressful situation, so they can bond together over that. For example, bring them all on a short car ride and they may huddle together for comfort and learn that the other bunny is a friend.

The most important thing is to just keep at it, eventually they should learn to tolerate each other, which will then turn into friendship. The more time you spend on this, the quicker you should succeed. Maybe at least 20 mins a day of them being together, provided their are no fights. If you want, get Ophelia and Penelope use to each other first, then bring in Oliver. If your most worried about Ophelia and Penelope then those might be the two you have to spend the most time working with. Make sure you watch them when you finally have all three together though, you don't want anyone to get ganged up on!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Thanks. Yes they are all fixed. Penelope was done 3 weeks ago the other two were done in October/November.
Someone told me to wait a month after Penelope's spay to start but I am not sure if that was to be sure she was completely healed or so that her hormones were down.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny