Breed suggestions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Breed suggestions?

One of our doctors has a friend looking for a couple of rabbits. Their previous rabbit was very large and they want a small, friendly rabbit instead of another large one.

They do have children, ages around 8 and 10. They will be indoor and litter trained, but temperament and size are their main concerns.

Suggestions welcome!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

A dwarf or mini lop would be my suggestion...or even a holland lop. Don't quote me but I think the holland lop is the smallest one (I could be way wrong but after a night of listening to huge electrical storms I'm exhausted and can't be bothered looking). Lop breeds have a great rep. as a friendly rabbit! So do Rex's (although not 100% on their size, I think they get bigger than the lops).
Tell them to look into lop breeds, tell them to avoid a netherland dawrf. As gorgeous as they are they don't make great children's pets as can be very skittish! Sure you can get some very friendly netherland dwarfs but to discriminate all breeds that's the catergory the netherland would fall into

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:17 PM

Well, I suggest a medium sized rabbit, because generally, the smaller the rabbit, the more hyper they can be. Some smaller breeds can even be aggressive!

Usually, mid-sized breeds that go over well are Holland lops, Mini Lops, Mini Rex, mixed breeds, and recently Lionheads have become more and more popular. These rabbits are about 3.5lbs to 6lbs (mini lops I believe are 6lbs, mini rex are about 4lbs).

Angora breeds (Jersey Woolies, English/French/German angora) are generally high maintenance -- lots of wool brushing, though as a breed, they are usually quite docile.

Some people absolutely love Netherland Dwarf rabbits (about a 2-3lb breed -- one of the smallest with Britania Petites), but I've found that they are really hyper, and that kids generally want something that is more inclined to sit on their lap like a cat or dog might.

We raise Mini Rex, and I absolutely love them. They're active enough that you can hook them up on a harness and take them for walks, but they're also docile enough to sit in your lap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would recommend a mini-lop or a Holland lop. Both are small, with the Hollands being a bit smaller. Mini-lops tend to be friendly and outgoing...I have one and my ten-year-old brother will be getting one next week . Also, the mini-rex would be another good choice as well as the Dutch. Lionheads are also good for children, however their mane needs to be groomed.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM

Dwarf rabbit- very hyper, not cuddley.

Mini Lop - Lap rabbit, not easily frightened, will let you do almost anything to it

(that's my experience with the ones I have and the ones we get in at work. Personally if they are looking for calm, good natured bunny for kids...go with a mini lop)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:57 PM

I had a great expeience with my netherland dwarf but I've heard that dutch are really sweet and Polish rabbits also.
My mini lop wasn't the friendliest, but a french lop is heavenly. I know they are huge but they are so great!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:56 PM

I definitely would not recommend a netherland dwarf, a dwarf hotot, or a britannia petite (the smallest true dwarf breeds). They can be very hyper and many lines tend toward aggressiveness. Some are very sweet, but i's hard to get away from the hyperness. Personally, I ADORE netherland dwarfs and britannia petites, but it definitely takes a special person to deal with them.

Here are my recommendations...keep in mind that weights listed are accepted show weights, and a pet quality one could be heavier or lighter than the standards.

Mini rex I have found to be GREAT. They are usually sweet, and their plush fur is just perfect for cuddling. They range from 3 to 4 1/2 lbs.

Holland lops tend to be either very hyper and nervous or very calm. There is not as much in between as I have noticed with other breeds. Pick a male if you go with this breed. Their maximum show weight is 4 pounds (no minimum, though most are 3 pounds and larger).

Mini lops are usually very sweet, but they are a bit bigger; running from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 pounds for show weight.

If you don't mind red eyes, I would highly suggest a Himalayan. They are not only exceptionally calm (I call them the "bombproof breed"), but they are very good sized as well. They range from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds.

Havanas are a little bit of a plainer looking breed, but they are generally very sweet. They range from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 pounds. I know of several breeders who, despite their plainer look, just adore them for their temperament. One breeder I knew sold out of holland lops because her havanas gave her so much less trouble.

If they have time for grooming once or twice a week, a Jersey Wooly can make an excellent pet and tops out at a maximum show weight of 3 1/2 pounds.

I'm not overly enamored with Dutch. They are cute and can make good pets, but they are notorious for spraying (definitely get it fixed whether it is a male or a female as females can spray, too), and they can tend to be hyper. It may be due to the fact that netherland dwarf was introduced into the breed a while back, or it may just be that the competition in show lines is so tough and good markings are so hard to get that a quality rabbit is more important that a good temperament. They can be between 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 pounds.

There may not be a breeder in the area, since the breed is not showable yet, but mini satins would be another breed I would recommend to a family looking for a small, sweet breed. They are a cross between polish and satins. They stay pretty small and they have a lovely extreme shine to the coat that is like satin, the fabric. I had them for a while, but they were taking so long to get recognized, and I really needed to focus on my main breeds so I sold them. I really like them, though. Then again, I'm a sucker for a little, round-bodied bunny like this breed (and mini rex).

If you can convince them that large rabbits can be great, french lops are AMAZING! They can be like dogs! If you litterbox train them, they will just run around the house and hang out with you. They are huge, but they are oh-so-sweet! I was sad when I had to sell my frenchies, but I didn't feel I had the room to really work with them properly and give them the space they needed. But really, having them is like having a dog that doesn't bark, doesn't have to be let out to go to the bathroom, and isn't going to bite your ankles. Plus they are almost kid proof because they are so big they can take some more roughness than the smaller breeds can.

Last edited by Miyabita; 02-02-2005 at 07:59 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

that was great info! We should get that saved someone for future references!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:10 PM

Oh, I forgot to add, not only are dutch notorious for spraying, but many tend to like to roll in it and get all nasty. Uck! Holland lop bucks are known for that too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 PM

I would suggest a mini lop. Caesar was one and he was the sweetest rabbit ever. Charlie is one too and she is sweet as can be as well. But honestly it depends on the rabbit itself, each one has a different personality, than the breed.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
But honestly it depends on the rabbit itself, each one has a different personality, than the breed.
This is one of the big reasons I suggest people get a rabbit that is at least 4 months old (6 to 8 months is best...old enough but not too old). By this time they are usually pretty set in their temperament, and you don't have to worry much about them getting aggressive or hyper when they reach sexual maturity. Just get one that has been handled well, and there are rarely problems.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 PM

I must have been lucky or special cause Opie was a sweetie. Although he did tend to "sniff" my sisters ankles. (she was terrified of my ND)

My french lops were awesome, but they are huge!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabita
If you can convince them that large rabbits can be great, french lops are AMAZING! They can be like dogs! If you litterbox train them, they will just run around the house and hang out with you. They are huge, but they are oh-so-sweet! I was sad when I had to sell my frenchies, but I didn't feel I had the room to really work with them properly and give them the space they needed. But really, having them is like having a dog that doesn't bark, doesn't have to be let out to go to the bathroom, and isn't going to bite your ankles. Plus they are almost kid proof because they are so big they can take some more roughness than the smaller breeds can.
I agree, I LOVE French lops. I didn't used to have room for one but now I do and so I definately want one for my next bunny. Either that or another Californian .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
holland lop, holland lops, litter train, litter trained, mini lop, mini lops, mini rex, mixed breed, mixed breeds, netherland dwarf, pet quality, red eyes