Breeder problems? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Breeder problems?

I think it is fair to say that all people on this board care deeply about their rabbits. Some have outdoor rabbits, some house rabbits and some are breeders. One breeder stated her concerns about bad breeders and the conditions their rabbits live in. She believed it to be a good idea that rabbits have bigger cages and be let out for exercise at least twice a week.

Then the attacks came! House rabbit people let their rabbits out at least 4 hours per day etc. The thread continued with more attackes on breeders, and the amount of anger displayed was chilling! Breeders need to stop breeding!

Is it likely that breeders will be shut down anytime soon? No! Not going to happen. Is it reasonable to expect breeders to let their rabbits out for exercise for 4 hours every day? No! Not going to happen. Would the lives of caged rabbits be greatly improved if they had bigger cages and exercise twice a week? Yes! It could happen. So why the attacks on responcible breeders who might be able to make a difference? Aren't we supposed to care about all rabbits, not just houserabbits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild View Post
Is it likely that breeders will be shut down anytime soon? No! Not going to happen.
Depending on your definition of "soon", I disagree. I boycott all breeders, regardless of practices, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. The only way to save the animals in shelters is to adopt them, and that won't happen if people are buying from breeders and pet stores instead. Only by discouraging breeders and pet stores by boycotting them will we eventually get them to stop creating overpopulation among animals that die every day in shelters.

Do I think breeders should treat their rabbits better? Yes. Treat them better by not treating them as a commodity and overbreeding them!!!

--Fromper
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
I think it is fair to say that all people on this board care deeply about their rabbits. Some have outdoor rabbits, some house rabbits and some are breeders. One breeder stated her concerns about bad breeders and the conditions their rabbits live in. She believed it to be a good idea that rabbits have bigger cages and be let out for exercise at least twice a week.

Then the attacks came! House rabbit people let their rabbits out at least 4 hours per day etc. The thread continued with more attackes on breeders, and the amount of anger displayed was chilling! Breeders need to stop breeding!

Is it likely that breeders will be shut down anytime soon? No! Not going to happen. Is it reasonable to expect breeders to let their rabbits out for exercise for 4 hours every day? No! Not going to happen. Would the lives of caged rabbits be greatly improved if they had bigger cages and exercise twice a week? Yes! It could happen. So why the attacks on responcible breeders who might be able to make a difference? Aren't we supposed to care about all rabbits, not just houserabbits?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
Depending on your definition of "soon", I disagree. I boycott all breeders, regardless of practices, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. The only way to save the animals in shelters is to adopt them, and that won't happen if people are buying from breeders and pet stores instead. Only by discouraging breeders and pet stores by boycotting them will we eventually get them to stop creating overpopulation among animals that die every day in shelters.

Do I think breeders should treat their rabbits better? Yes. Treat them better by not treating them as a commodity and overbreeding them!!!

--Fromper
If you want to boycott breeders, that is your right, but it will be an uphill battle. Rabbits first came to this country as livestock, and they are still bred as livestock today, far more than pets. To stop breeding rabbits, you would have to fight the ARBA along with the ALBC, and both of these organizations have business on their side, both big and small.

Unfortunatly, people adopt pets for their own reasons, not ours. Some people will always opt for a rescue because they want to give an unwanted pet a home. Some opt for bunnies because the want to get the right pet for their family, and a bunny is what they want to raise, and they feel no obligation to the rescue rabbits because they themselves did not cause the problem. And then there are all kinds of people inbetween. If people who wanted baby bunnies could not get them, rather than a rescue rabbit, many of these would opt for a kitten or puppy instead of a rabbit.

If rescue organization worked on developing good relationships with other rabbit owners and others in the pet business, perhaps pet store bunnies would be sold as altered, which would lessen the problem of backyard breeders, and large chain stores might be open to donating more to rabbit rescue organizations. This would allow organizations to set up more santuaries to put unsocialzed rabbits in, which would allow organizations to spend more time and effort on those rabbits that really do crave human contact. I can't say for sure that this would work, but I can say for sure that what is going on right now isn't working. Who wants to donate to organizations that try to force their beliefs on others with intimidation tactics?

The problem of too many pets in shelters reflects a problem with our society, and to change that is going to take a lot more than a boycott.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
The problem of too many pets in shelters reflects a problem with our society, and to change that is going to take a lot more than a boycott.
True, but boycotting breeders and pet stores that sell animals is the logical and easy first step.

First, don't personally add to the problem. Second, talk to everyone you know about not personally adding to the problem the next time they want to get a pet. These are basic steps anyone can take to help reduce the overpopulation of rabbits and other "pet" animals, even if you don't personally have time to volunteer with an animal shelter or organization.

The next easy step towards helping animals is to become a vegetarian (or better yet, vegan). Once again, boycotting animal farming industries is the simple first step. More involved activism can come later.

--Fromper
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Fromper I agree about the boycotting of breeders and pet stores and all that but I think making everyone a vegetarian is really never gonna happen. First of all even if every person became a vegetarian (which is highly unlikely) as long as people have certain pets such as dogs, ferrets, etc they all need meat in their diet, so you'll have to get the meat from somewhere, and if you say, yeah we can just hunt, it will just induce people to breed animals for hunting.
Boycotting animal farming industries will probably only end up affecting those who actually care well for their animals. Because taking good care of farm animals is far more expensive than not doing it. I mean the pet industry I suppose with a lot of time and effort you can get somewhere eventually but the farm industry is always gonna be there as there will always be a need for animals as food, I mean for most animals that was the reason they were domesticated in the first place.
Anyway just thought I'd add my opinion.

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter_frost View Post
Fromper I agree about the boycotting of breeders and pet stores and all that but I think making everyone a vegetarian is really never gonna happen. First of all even if every person became a vegetarian (which is highly unlikely) as long as people have certain pets such as dogs, ferrets, etc they all need meat in their diet, so you'll have to get the meat from somewhere, and if you say, yeah we can just hunt, it will just induce people to breed animals for hunting.
Boycotting animal farming industries will probably only end up affecting those who actually care well for their animals. Because taking good care of farm animals is far more expensive than not doing it. I mean the pet industry I suppose with a lot of time and effort you can get somewhere eventually but the farm industry is always gonna be there as there will always be a need for animals as food, I mean for most animals that was the reason they were domesticated in the first place.
Anyway just thought I'd add my opinion.
It may not be realistic to change the entire world, but it definitely won't happen if nobody tries. As Ghandi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world".

--Fromper
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Is changing the living conditions for caged animals and not breeding animals really the same issue? To stop breeders would take many years, however, changing the living conditions and making life better for caged animals is something that can happen in the near future. Many states are working on legislation right now to improve conditions for caged animals. Is it fair to the animals to get in the way of people trying to improve conditions for caged animals just because we don't agree with breeding animals?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Please don't start any arguments/debates. We have had problems with similar topics and peoples feelings are getting hurt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, you may not agree with them but please try to respect them all the same.

This isn't directed at anyone, I'm just saying it before any problems start.

Tags
breeder problems?