Broken Heart? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Broken Heart?

Hi,

My lion head Chubby just passed away at the young age of 1 and a half. He left behind his brother Thumper. Thumper seems to be acting very quiet and not as active as usual. I know this is normal but I don't know what to do. We just recently bought another lion head so Thumper could have a companion. The new bunny is only a few months old. We decided to take them to a room where neither of them have been. We let them both on the floor with hiding spots for each of them to go if they wish. They acknowleged each other and were nose to nose at one point. After that they both just ignored eachother and had no interest. Is this a good sign or a bad sign. When I look at Thumper I get extremely upset becasue he is not himself. I'm not sure when I should intorduce the two in Thumper's territory.. is it too soon for that?

Thanks,
Jessica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

i'm sorry for your loss.

~Sam-Woodmor~

My pets-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jewel and Ruby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Merlin

Gotta Love Them

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so very sorry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm a new bunny mum so don't know much about getting them to bond but I would think that ignoring each other is kind of a good sign as at least theyre not fighting. I'm so sorry for your loss of Chubby and hope the new one becomes a good companion for Thumper.

What's your new bunny called?

Jo xx

Mummy to:

Ash - Miniture Yorkshire Terrier
Cookie - Bunny
Fudge - Bunny
Missie - Hamster

R.I.P

Rocky - Staffordshire Bull Terrier (my dad's)
Joey - Budgie
Petre - Budgie
Harry - Hamster
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:19 PM
is a little "special"

Aww, sorry about your bunner
Ignoring eachother is acually a good sign. When Thumper gets back to normal, Im sure they will show more interest in each other.
Dont introduce buns in territory that isnt neutral... Thumper wont be thrilled about having a strange bunny in HIS space! Bath tubs and cars are good places, and setting up a pen out in the grass has worked really well for me when I bond animals. Outside is about as nuetral as it gets!
And its normal for animals to mourn for a while after their buddy dies. As long as he is still eating, Thumper should be just fine.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

So sorry about your loss. Jess gives good advice. Two of my rabbits recently bonded, and moved in together. For a couple of weeks they shared the same space, and ignored each other, but now they act like an old married couple, they groom each other and are the best of friends.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry for your loss RIP

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
broken heart, death, lonely, rabbit