Brushing the bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Brushing the bunny

Flash started shedding for the first time a few weeks ago. Usually, I just get a handful of hair when petting him, but I decided to get him a brush so I could brush out his hair properly. Unfortunately, he just doesn't like the brush, and he always turns around and tries to attack it when I try to brush his back. It's cute, but not very productive.

I've held the brush in front of him to let him sniff it, and he doesn't mind that, but it's just when I try to use it that he gets mad. Any suggestions for how to get him to accept brushing? Should I just keep trying in the hopes that he'll eventually accept it?

At this point, I think he's just about done molting, so it might not be an issue, but I'd still like to get him used to being brushed for future molts.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

He will molt again - trust me.

I actually have found it easier to use a sticky lint roller on my buns and they don't mind it much. Two of my buns will actually let me vaccuum them - but I don't recommend that until he's comfortable with the vaccuum in general. But you can get the lint roller anywhere - I've even seen them in pet stores. On a regular day, I'll brush them with a regular lint brush like the one you use on business suits. It looks like a hair brush but with no bristles and it has course velvet patches on either side that collect lint. I've found that bunny fur doesn't seem to collect very well on a brush like it should.

Good Luck!!

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PT's Official Poker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
can't think of one, help

i've never had any luck with a brush either, as their fur is so fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

All of my buns dislike being brushed. I now have a furminator - they don't like that either but it is something that has to be done. I got Ophelia last night - I am not sure if she is talking to me yet. A few days ago I got Oliver - he is only now forgiving me. Penelope and Teddy take it better but still are not happy.
I tried a few different brushes but found that a horse stone and the furminator work best - and quickly. You need to be careful with both that you don't scratch or irritate their skin.
I view grooming them as a neccessary evil - I think they just view it as evil.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Betta Bomb

oh man,lets get into this grooming hassle! should it be so evil?? Acacia thinks so,i dont know why...she seems to be addicted to molting her GD color and is darkening yet again,hmmm,grooming to help her?? NO! "Dont touch me!!!" she'll holla.so alas,im sitting with a hairless brush as she sits in the far corner giving me the eye(you all know it)..Frighteneing! im outta there,lets see if Akina will let me brush her,yep even lies down and gets all cozy for the brush.what do i use? a cat's ZoomGroom brush with rubber teeth so it really sticks to the loose fur,and glancing over to Acacia in all her bratty glory-looking back at me! she's holding a weapon,(does this mean war?)Well, im ready when you are soldier!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

I use the furminator on Barns a couple of times a week. He actually likes being brushed though, which makes things a lot easier!

Zeus use to hate it. Luckily he had short hair so it wasn't as big of an issue. I never really use to brush him since he hated it so much. When he was molting I use to just take a damp towel and gently rub him with that, or wet my hands and pet him and a lot of the loose fur would come off that way.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have sweaty palms so I can say that the wet hand thing works really well!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash is a short hair bunny, so I suspect I'll never need to brush him enough to get him used to it. I've kind of given up on the brush for now. I'm thinking of leaving it lying some place where he can play with it, though, just to see if he takes a liking to it. I'm just worried that the teeth are thin plastic that he could bite through. I don't want him swallowing any of it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Betta Bomb

well if he swallows the pieces he'll get a good groomin on the inside!!