BunBun sitting in the litter pan! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Question BunBun sitting in the litter pan!

Hey
We just got a new cage for Bunbun last night.. It has a wire bottom, unlike the other cage. So we put her litter pan in the corner and she started using it *YAY* But now, she is in it all the time and wont sit anywhere else in the cage?? She likes the new cage, a new cubby hole for her to hide in,she ran around and checked it out and was playing last night. But today, she picked her new spot and I was wondering if they like to sit in their litter box, or is that normal??

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hmmm ... you might try to give her some more solid surfaces?? Maybe that's why she's in it?

Stephanie

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Hey Jade
Well as last week went on, she came out of her litter pan, but then she stopped eating. She only ate a little hay. We were going out of town for the weekend, and I started thinking, maybe she doesn't like the new cage? So, before we left, we put her in the old cage and she went back to burrowing and digging around. She has also started eating again! Picky Bunny! Question is, I just spent a nice amount on a new cage, since its wire, should I try to put bedding covering the wire in the "cubby hole" area, so she has her bedding still? Maybe she just likes to lay in it?? Or like u said, she likes the solid surfaces?

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Erin

I've been reading that rabbits should not be houses on wire bottom cages, they can develop sore hocks. Maybe cover the cage floor with a layer of hay, or newspaper so she is more comfortable.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Ya I was thinking that too, so I asked someone who breeds rabbits, and she said a wire bottom was more sanatary and the cage itself would smell better. I asked about their little feets(Bc i know guinea pigs shouldn't be on wire cuz of thier feet) and she said something about the sores but since rabbits had big furry feet(unlike piggies) it wasn't as common and just to keep a close eye on her. atleast that is what she said. I think I will try to put some more bedding on top of the wire, or an old rag for her to lay on in her little cubby hole.:cool:

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 11:49 AM

Sore hocks are mainly a genetic problem, and then are caused by improper sanitation - -wire floors *are* more sanitary as the rabbit isn't hopping thru bedding he/she has soiled in. Most times this doesn't come into play if te rabbit is litter trained well, but the wire floor still won't hurt their feet. You can place some silas or straw matts in the cage and place hay or straw in their for her to burrow in, or if the cage is big enough a hay filled box that she can dig thru
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:41 AM

I don't know of any rabbit people who keep their rabbits housed on anything other than wire. They do like a sitting board to get off the wire but mine tend to urinate on the solid surfaces and then they get really smelly. It's hard to sanitize a wooden floor too. The fur on the bottom of a rabbits foot is very thick and so long as their cages are maintained properly sore hocks aren't a major problem for them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 09:56 AM

Hi, my lop eared rabbit, Daisy, also has a wire floor cage. I put a small piece of cardboard on a portion of it so she doesn't have to stand on the wire, but she likes to sit in her litterbox too!

Maybe she sits in there to keep cool? I also cannot keep any litter or newspaper in the litterbox because she will push it out! Her poops are pushed to each corner and she sits in the middle!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Turbo's mommy.

for some reason turbo sits in his litter pan as well. he sits other places as well but finds the corner the litter pan is in comforting... other than his house haha

Turbo Bunny

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

This topic is from 2003

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Turbo's mommy.

oh darn ... well ... its still as cute as can be

Turbo Bunny

Tags
guinea pig, litter box, litter pan, litter train, litter trained