bunnies and cats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

bunnies and cats?

as i've said in previous posts, i'm a new dwarf bunny owner. we added 2 to our family of 2 cats and 2 dwarf hamsters.

it is my hope that, eventually, the kitties and bunnies can get along. we've been letting the bunnies run around the house while supervised. the kitties are being VERY good with them, but i'm being careful.

can anyone share their experiences with having kitties and bunnies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:30 PM

So far, our cat has been really good with our bunny. She's never acted aggresive at all towards him at all. She's a pretty laid-back cat though. I still supervise them pretty closely though because Wicket is still a baby. How are your cats with the hamsters? Do they ever act like they want to "eat them up" ?

Adorable babies, by the way!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
can't think of one, help

My kitties are good with the bunny(ies) although they are never unsupervised with them. I used to have a Very Large kitty who was sort of scared of my first bunnies. It was quite funny to see this huge cat being chased by two baby bunnies, as she tried to get away from them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Just make sure you watch them if you're going to have them together. I know I mentioned this in another post.

My old rabbit (before Zeus, Zeus has never seen a cat before) was bigger then a cat and he use to scare some cats - but he got scratched by one once, the cat wasn't mean or anything I just think it got a little to rough. Well the scratch got infected and I'll just say that the vet bills were very expensive and we still came very close to lossing the bunny. Cat bites and scratches can cause deadly infections in rabbits because of the bacteria that cats carry naturally. So please be careful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My kitties and bunnies get along very well. Poor Penelope is alone in the back room so the kitties sometimes keep her company. Bean does get frightened of them and will smack them but she is declawed. It's funny because Oliver just doesn't care at all when she swats him. Opheila will hop wide around Bean to avoid her.
My bunnies were all pretty big when the kitties met them. I would be careful with the little ones.
My kitties were great with my sick bunny Tabby. Tyler would lay in Tabby's surround for hours with her and keep her company.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm with Dragonrain on this one. Watch them very carefully.

I had a bunny once who was playfully scratched on it's ear by my Dad's cat. The ear also got infected and had to be amputated. Vet bills galore.

Just be very careful... sometimes when it looks like they are being friendly with each other, an accidental scratch can happen.

~ Debrya
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

I know a few people who have bunnies and cats and let them run around together...but I would supervise them if I were you!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
baby bunnies, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters