Are bunnies okay in -1C temperature? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Are bunnies okay in -1C temperature?

Does anyone know the answer? It's -1C tonight (even though it's May) and I'm worried. I just brought them back to my parents' house and they've been forced to live on the side balcony in a wire cage. I put a tarp over them and some towels inside because the cage bottom is metal and gets cold. Will that be enough?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

uh nevermind. I snuck them inside. They're hiding under my bed. The cage is outside so my mom thinks they're there. I'll put them back in the morning when it warms up. I just put a couple litterboxes in my room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Will It Ever Change?

lol good on you to sneak them in. i'm not sure if it's too cold but better safe than sorry

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Usually they're okay in cold temps., but I would be concerned if your taking them back and forth from inside to outside.

They grow their fur according to the temperatures. So an outdoor rabbit will grow a warmer coat as it gets colder. But indoor rabbits won't if it they're always inside where it's nice and warm. So if you keep a rabbit indoors, then put them outside when it's cold, they might not have a thick enough coat to keep them warm.

If you have to leave them outside, make sure to keep the cage covered to prevent drafts (which it sounds like you're already doing!). You can give them some straw or lots of hay to help keep them warm, and they have each other to cuddle against for body heat so that will help.

Next winter, if you're going to keep them outside, make sure to start putting them outside before it gets cold so as it gets colder, they can adjust to the temperatures.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Were they good bunnies last night?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I feel bad moving them around so much. They get really freaked out by different environments. But it's raining. Stupid spring. -_-

My bf and sister are helping me get started on the outdoor hutch tomorrow. I was just really concerned because they were house bunnies their whole lives but my parents are being...annoying...and insisting they stay outside now that I've moved back in with them. Financial troubles and I just graduated from university and moved from one city to another. (I went to another city for school for 4 years) Poor little guys just shed a whole lot of fur because my old house was so warm and comfortable. I hope the weather lets up soon. If I could, I would let them just have free roam in my room, because I live in the basement, but my mom's afraid of bunny accidents on the carpet.

They were still good bunnies last night. lol one of them freaked my sister out in the morning because she came to wake me up and the bunny almost escaped into the hallway and up the stairs. We got him back, though. Clever little guy was waiting in the corner for someone to open the door.

R.I.P.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

If your moms just worried about accidents on the carpet, Couldn't you keep them in a cage in your room?

My Furry Family

Tags
wire cage