Bunnies vs. Litterbox -- advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bunnies vs. Litterbox -- advice?

I have two new dwarf bunnies. They are approx. 3 months old. Recently, I've purchased them a corner litterbox in hopes that they would start using it. I've read tons of websites on the subject and have done what they all say: try different kinds of litter, rotate the corner where the litterbox is, put some of their droppings in the litterbox. However, nothing has worked!

I've read everywhere that bunnies usually only potty in one spot. Well, they have a huge cage and they potty ALL OVER it. Seriously. Everywhere but the litterbox.

Any suggestions? Is this normal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

They're still babies - just like any other babies, they don't have their potty habbits down yet. Zeus had accidents all the time when he was that young. Baby bunnies are usually a lot messier with their bathroom habits then older buns are.

Spaying/neutering them when you can would also probably help immensly.

Do you put hay in the litter pan? I know it sounds gross because they eat hay out of the box they use the bathroom in, but it does work - bunnies like have a little snack while they're doing their buisness, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

We were lucky with our rabbit, he caught on right away, i think maybe because we started him off in a really small cage. how big is your cage? and how big is your litter box? is it big enough they can sit in it comfortably? What are you using for litter? sorry for all the questions, but the more we know the easier it will be for us to help. Maybe you could post some pictures of your cage set up?
like Dragonrain said, put some hay in there box, cuz they will potty while they munch on it.. and keep in mind they are still babies, and they will still have accidents, also, are the peeing all over the cage? or just poops? most rabbits will continue to leave little poops around there cage for awhile, its kinda there way of saying 'this is my home and i like it here' the liquids are what you want in the litter pan. If they pee everywhere in the cage i would suggest cleaning the cage daily, and putting some urine soaked bedding in there litter box each day.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

They are right. Poos are not as much of an issue as piddles. And getting them fixed is the real key if you ask me. Ophelia would pee next to the box up until the day she was spayed. Oliver was better but not as good as after his neuter. Penelope really caught on well but got even better after her spay.
Teddy is piddling in his box but poo's...well.. some are in the box - some aren't. I think that once his hormones go down he will improve.
Don't worry they are babies and they will improve. Make sure they each have a box with litter and hay. I heard they like soft things to go on but I use feline pine (or wood stove pellets). And make sure the box is large enough. Clean it often. Right now I am cleaning Teddy's twice a day because the box is small (it has to fit in the cage).

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for all of the advice. To answer some of the questions:

1. I have put hay in the litterbox. They get in there, eat the hay, sleep, but don't go potty.

2. They both poo and pee all over the cage. As you've mentioned, the pee is the most problematic.

3. We have one of those big cages on legs/coasters. It is approx. 50x30. I ordered a bunny corner litterbox. It is plenty big enough for both of them to sleep in. They are dwarf buns.

4. I have rotated corners for the litterbox and rotated litters. I used wood chips, the pellets that came with the litterbox, some natural wood pellet cat litter... nothing seems to work.

Like I said, they have their first vet appointment tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll know more then. In the meantime, any advice is welcome.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

It really sounds to me like the problem is just that they're still young.

Young bunnies will pee and poo everywhere, then when they get older they should start to get better and pee in the same corner most of the time.

Tags
baby bunnies, feline pine, litter box, litter pan, wood stove pellets