Bunny Active-ness and a Stupid Socialization Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Bunny Active-ness and a Stupid Socialization Question

I have 2 questions, so Im gonna just combine them into one thread.

First off... How active are everyones bunnies? Ever since I got Smudge fixed, he hasnt been as active as usual. Im not worried about him being sick, but I just think its a little weird. Since his surgery, he has has free range of my bedroom and the hallway for at least 12 hours a day, and he doesnt seem to be using any of it! I probably have about 20 of his toys scattered through out my room at all times for him, but he wont touch any of them. Ive been getting a little more creative with his toys, and I made him a box with a but of shapes cut out stuffed with shredded paper for him to dug, but he wont touch that either. And he loves to sneak into my moms room when she leaves the door open, and hide under her bed and play with the wrapping paper we keep there, so I raised my bed (it was on the floor before) so he could go under it... So far, he hasnt. :[ Except for a little while at night, he just doesnt do anything! Hes obviously content, because whenever I walk in there he is sleeping completely flopped over on his side with his little legs sticking up, but I just feel bad that he isnt getting much excercise. Its been kinda hot out lately and we dont usually put the AC on, so I dont know if that is contributing to his lazy-ness. Is it normal for fixed bunnies to lose all their hyperness? Does anyone have any suggestions to make him more active? Im feeling kinda sad about this...

And this is probably a really stupid question, but Ive been kinda worrying about this too...
So one of the shelters around here has a "Hoppy Hour", wich is pretty much a massive play time of about 50+ rabbits. I really want ot bring Smudge to this, but Im worried about how he will react to other bunnies. It would be really embaressing if he stats obsessivly humping every bun in sight! So what would be the normal way for him to react to another rabbit? Do you think he would be ready to go meet other rabbits yet?
I know its probably kinda dumb, but the only time I had a bonded pair of rabbits was when I was 6 or 7 years old, so I dont remember how rabbits are supposed to act around eachother LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Betta Bomb

Ummm.....Do you think your parents would slay you if you got Smudge a friend?? He clearly understands his freedom maybe he just doesn't know how to exercise his new rights? Where you kept him in a hutch and brought him inside to play, and now he's all the time allowed to play I think maybe he's just confused??I hope he starts to run around more soon though- just learn bunny language and inform him "Earth to Smudgsicle, you may travel abroad now"

As for the hoppy hour, 1. that is tres cool! I wish we had one and 2. Smudge is fixed now so if he did mount the faces off all his new friends at least they cant make mini-smudgsicles!! ^.^ (btw Im gonna call him Smudgsicle from now on!) I havent bonded my pair and I know each them seperatley- Acacia would only allow boys at her(its onays shes spayed) and Akina would allow anything as she's quite social and won't hunt for a fight. I guess every bunner is different, how has his hormones been lately? Does he have a strong drive to hump everything still?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

If I got Smudge a friend, I think I just might end up in an orphanidge (sp?). Ive been looking at buns up for adoption, but my mom says that we cant have 3 rabbits, and my sister wont get Oreo fixed. So im kinda stuck, unless Oreo passes on or something.
Haha, your the second person whos made up that nickname!
And I think that might be whats going on too, with the freedom confusion... Im not sure how to say that in bun language though LOL Im trying a defferent feeding schedual, and Im giving him his pellets in the morning instead of at night, so maybe he has more callories to burn off? Its worth a try.
And his hormones seem to be pretty low. He hasnt marked anything, and he only humps this one toy that is bunny fur (long story short, I bought if when I was really little, and I was gonna throw it out, but he liked playing with it) but hes always been obsessed with it. He spent last week at my friends house with her female bunny and she didnt mention him getting humpy, but our rabbits only saw eachother through cage bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

It might very well be the heat too - my rabbits never seem to want to run around/play as much when it's hot out. We got them an AC in their room now, but before we got it set up we had a couple of hot days and they where real lazybuns.

Wow 50+ rabbits all together - how do they keep them from fighting? I had a hard time getting my 3 to be nice to each other while I was still bonding them, I can't imagion if there where 50 of them!

Humping is normal rabbit behavior wether they are neutered or not. They do it to display dominance. My three did it a lot while they where getting to know each other and work out he group dymanics, but don't do it much anymore. I would think that with that many bunnies together that don't know each other, some bunny is bound to hump. I would hope that the other owners will understand that it's part of their normal behavior and not make a big deal out of it.

I don't remember exactly when Smudge was neutered, but remember that they can still get a female pregnant for I believe up to 2 or 3 weeks after the surgery, and it usually takes up to a couple of months for the hormones to level out.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Smudge was fixed a month ago, so he should be sterile by now, and all buns that go to Hoppy hour need to be fixed, so there wont be babies. And when I was talking to some people from the HRS about Hoppy Hour, they said that because there are so muny unfamiliar buns in nuetral territory, the just dont fight. I guess it works out some how!

Tags
bunny, excercise, rabbit, socialization