bunny eating litterbox - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation bunny eating litterbox

Hi everyone. This is my 1st time on here. I have a 9 month old bunny - Serafina (Sera for short). She was supposed to be a miniature lop bunny, but now she's bigger than my cat (who just had kittens), over 10lbs. I got her last halloween. The first couple of months were great. She's so sweet & so good, such a wonderful disposition. She would just sit still while being held for the longest time. She let kindergartners hold her, she'd never kick or squirm. I'd have her out of her cage for a few hours every day to socialize. Then, every time I'd pick her up she would eat my clothes, as soon she was close enuf, she'd eat a piece out of my shirt. I have holes in my pants now too, just from squatting in front of her cage to feed her. At first I just quit holding her, & still let her out. Then she'd go places she wasn't supposed to & I couln't get her back in her cage. She'd bite the back of my ankle & leave huge swollen bruises. I can't let her have the run of the house, with computer wires & all. I'd leave her cage open all the time & let her have the run of the kitchen if I could find a way to confine her to it. I turn the table on its side to keep her in the kitchen while I clean her cage. I put a litter box in there for her a few months ago, & she's eating it. Half the wall of one side of the litterbox is gone. She eats and swallows it. Same with my clothes she doesn't just bite them, she eats & swallows chunks. I don't know what to do about her weird eating habits. Any words of wisdom?
Nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:35 AM

I'd say your bunny has hit puberty. She's all excited about her environment & wanting to check everything out. Some bunnies do get very excitable & she will probably get even more territorial if you don't do something about it. I would recommend desexing as it will calm her down & would ensure you have a healthy & happy bunny for many years to come.

If you do decide on desexing, find the best rabbit savvy vet you can as operations on rabbits can be a concern if not done correctly. Post operative care is also very important & your bunny will need to be kept warm & confined for a little while until the stitches are removed. Your bunny will also need to be monitored at all times to make sure she is eating & going to the toilet happily.

If you decide you don't want to desex your rabbit, then expect lots of bites & scratches in the future. This is why a lot of rabbits end up at shelters because of their behaviour at this age and many people are unsure how to cope with it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I agree with boing, it is pretty normal behaviour for an intact bunny. and just to solve any possible confusion, I don't think 'desexing' is a word used in America but it means spey/netuering!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for help! I will call the vet & check into having her spayed. It never would have occured to me, since she has no access to other bunnies - hasn't seen one since I brought her home from the pet store when she was 6 weeks old. I hope she's not lonely for her own species. I will see if I can find a vet who can spay her though, I'll let you know how that turns out. I hope it helps, thanks for the great idea!
Nikki

Tags
litter box, pet store, rabbit savvy vet, sit still