Bunny eye tracking hit his head - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bunny eye tracking hit his head

Snow was hopping around today like normal. I was trying to catch him to put him back in his cage, and he was hopping away, then suddenly ran right into the side of the desk. It didn't seem like a hard bang, so I didn't think much of it. He's had this thing where his eyes and head track slightly side to side for years. My vet said it was because his eyesight isn't very good, so it's always been considered normal for him. But today I noticed it's gotten worse after hitting his head. His right eye is moving side to side, not all the time, but a lot of the time. He had a head tilt back in May and it's doing kind of the same thing, but it was much worse with the head tilt. He must be feeling some kind of vertigo. His head is not tilting, but he kind of moves it a bit from side to side like he's always done with the eye tracking before. It's worse when he's in darkness, and he doesn't do it nearly as bad when he's in the light. Of course I have a vet appointment for him, but I could only get one tomorrow morning, and there is no emergency vet that deals with rabbits here. He's eating and drinking fine, and he seems normal other than that eye. I'm scared he might have gotten head trauma. I'm so worried. There will be no sleep for me tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM
can't think of one, help

thinking positive thoughts for him

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

I hope the vet was able to tell you Snow is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks. Snow is actually fine. It was just me being paranoid again! He has always done this thing where he'll turn his head side to side, like scanning, and kind of looks like a robot! Because he hit his head a little, it freaked me out and I thought the head thing had gotten worse when it really hadn't. I was watching him more closely than usual because of the bump, so everything he did had me all jumpy! Apparently this head turning thing is a behaviour issue in some bunnies, mostly albinos. Snow actually has dark eyes, but because of his white fur, I'm guessing he has some albino genes. He doesn't do it all the time, only really when he's trying to focus, or when he's in a darker place where he can't see as well. This head thing seemed to get worse after he had a head tilt in May. He still has a small wobble from it that never completely went away.

Anyway, he's eating and drinking normal, he's energetic, and he's completely fine. I think the vet is getting really annoyed with my constant paranoia. I'm calling them for every little thing. I wish I could get over this fear because I feel so stupid when I realize I was freaking out for no reason.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Glad to hear the good news! Its okay, your just a cautious mum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think I'm way overly cautious! But I'm just so afraid of losing my precious little baby.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Betta Bomb

Phew, scary! Glad he's ok
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Very scary - so glad he is fine

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes, it was really scary, but I'm so relieved he's ok. I just hope he'll watch where he's going from now on!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Playful Pup

Glad to hear that he's okay

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks. He's doing fine now, but he is a little fat. I've been giving him less pellets which he isn't too impressed about!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is Snow all white? I know for white rats, their eyesight isn't very good, and they'll scan their visual field before them looking quite a bit like what you described - like a robot.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He's almost all white (hence the name), but he does have a little grey around his nose, and around his tail area. His ears also have grey fur on them. His eyes are pretty good, he doesn't usually run into things, but it seems he has to move his head to the side when he wants to focus on something. I've read it's a behaviour thing some bunnies have, and it's most common in albinos. He's had it for as long as I can remember.