From bunny fun to bunny burden =[ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy From bunny fun to bunny burden =[

About 4 weeks ago I got surgery for my back. It's a long story but I was really worried about Ruby, my bunny love =D because I didn't want her to forget about me while I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. When I got home I couldn't bend my back so it was difficult to reach down to Ruby's cage so my mom helped me take care of her but Ruby seems to like my mom a lot more than me. She let my mom brush her which, for Ruby, is major. When Ruby is playing she won't let you pet her let alone let you hold her and brush her. Now that I can mostly take care of her by myself I went up yesterday and it felt like taking care of her was a chore which is NEVER how it used to feel. I figured it was just because I was tired but today it felt the same.. and I really wasn't tired either.

I don't really know why I'm making a thread about this but I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way about their rabbit? And if so, PLEASE tell me it goes away! Because I don't think it's fair to Ruby if I don't want to play and take care of her. Also, any suggestions on how to make her more.. touchable? Lol. I don't know the right word but I've had her for 7 months and I've tried a slow approach to try and pet her but nothing really works. Maybe she just isn't a cuddly bunny but, thanks to whoever read this whole thing and thanks in advance for anyone who helps!

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

How'd your surgery go?? I hope you're doing well!

Honestly, most bunnies really arn't cuddly.

Are you going to get her spayed? Because that may help things in the coming months when she starts to get (if she hasen't already) more hormonal.

Other than that I'd say you should take things slow and just see what happens. Every day talk to her, spend time with her, even if all you do is sit in the same room as her while she's out playing, give her treats. It took me months after I got Barnaby just to get him to trust me enough to take a treat out of my hand. I use to let him out to play and just sit on the floor reading a book or doing my homework and never tried to touch him unless he came up to me. All that paid off, but it took a long time and I did all that every day.

I think I know what you mean about taking care of her feeling like a chore. After Zeus died I didn't really enjoy taking care of Barnaby as much. But I took the time to strenghten my bond with him, and then it started to not feel so much like a chore anymore. Maybe your feeling kind of the same way, like you don't have as strong of a bond with Ruby anymore after the time you had to spend away from her? Maybe spending some extra time with her would help?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM
can't think of one, help

I've had my bunny for 10 years and there are many times when it hasn't been a joy to care for him, but I still love him. And even after all these years there are times when he doesn't cooperate when I want to pick him up. hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

The feeling like a chore thing happens to me too, especially since im allergic to her hay. I've even talked with my boyfriend about maybe looking for a new home for her. but then i let her out of her cage for some exercise.. and she'll do her little binkies around, and i fall in love with her all over again. Our rabbit doesn't really like to be held or cuddled at all either, she'll let us pet her, but only if shes in the mood, and it never lasts very long. I don't know if you can, since you just had back surgery, but sitting on the floor with her helps. my boyfriend and i used to just sit in her exercise pen with her, which isn't that big, so sooner or later she comes to say hi.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yea, I'm actually doing a lot better. And I can sit on the floor and pet her so I guess I'll just grab a book and maybe a cushy blanket and just sit on the floor with her for a while everyday. And can rabbits have treats (ex: a few pieces of fruit) everyday or just a few times a week?

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Betta Bomb

im glad to hear your doin better

and as for the chore thing,everybody has bad days and rough times but they go away.animals really help with that feeling!

Acacia likes to be left alone while she's out playing,but i'll do some painting or reading on the floor so at least she has to cross my path and not feel lonely,And like Dragonrain said, talk to her.even if its actually to someone elae at least she hears your voice. its hard to come by a bunny that loves to be cuddled but since Akina was bred by a breeder who handled her at birth and stimulated her and her siblings(i dont support breeders i just adopted her off my cousin)she has a bond with me and practically any one else!! understand that just because Ruby may not enjoy being picked up and cuddled doesnt mean she's not appreciative of your affections ()

As for the treat thing,yes they can have treats.i tamed my wild little Acaica as a baby with treats,i tried fruit but she didnt care as much for them as a treat than as for her supper so i went to the pet store and bought yogurt drops which she loves and will only get one if she stands up on my lap

good luck recuperating,i wish you all the best and i think its wonderful that your mom is helping you take care of Ruby,good luck
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
can't think of one, help

yes talk to her whenever you are near her. I say good morning to him every morning and talk with him whenever I'm near him. I sing to him too. Its so neat to see him poke his little head up when he hears my voice. If I wake him up I always apologize to him.