Bunny fur question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Bunny fur question

Anyone here own cashmere's? Molly is a Cashmere and she knots soooo easily. I groom her and de-knot her and a couple of days later she is knotting up again. She is a lot worse in shedding season which she is doing now and she started when I was on holidays. My friend was looking after her but she kept biting her (she never bites me....but she has trust issues) and so she could only brush her so she had quite a few knots in her. I'm going to have to clipper the ones off her back paw cause they are just too bad. She'll let me do it and I am a dog groomer as part of my profession so I'm confident. I have two questions...
1. Any ways you can help stop the mass knotting without grooming 24/7 (she gets an hour twice a week)
2. When I'm brushing out her knots she goes to sleep on me and I'm very gentle but she loses the fur right from her skin. So she has bald patches all over her. She isn't irritated at all it just always happens. She gets a well balanced diet of mixed pellets, hay and vegetables (same as my other rabbit who does not have this problem) and is healthy. Is it just her, cashmere's in general or could she have a vitamin deficiency even though it doesn't appear that she does?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

hey carmen -

i know nothing about bunnies, but have a ques/answer...
for the knots, is there any way you could buy an animal-safe hair detangler? cause i know that it helps yorkies. i have no idea about the bunnies...cause i have a feeling your bun's hair is super fine and poofy. maybe you could try some sort of powder to help keep the hair really dry and then it won't bunch up as much. ???

let us know if you find a solution! i gave up with penny and just shave her now! haha...but i guess you can't do that with your bun bun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

I would ask on this board http://rabbit.lyrical.net/ it is a bunch of show breeders and if they don't know they can probably tell you of a person that does.

Is Cashmere the same as Angora?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:21 AM

Ok I researched and it isn't LOL It is hard to know when sometimes every country has different names for same breed of rabbits.

I found a webpage, http://www.uptonlops.co.uk/grooming.htm which might help you
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks for your help guys!!! I guess Molly is just one of the cashmere's with a bad coat...I don't know where she came from originally. I'll look into getting a flea comb for her for when we go on holidays to help my friend out. She normally doesn't get matty with me cause I spend so long with her. I'm more worried about the fact that her coat fully comes out when she has a matt but that may have to do with her fur growing cycle. She has cler eyes and a clear nose and her teeth are in good condition, she's not dehydrated and she's eating and behaving normal. I'm just being a worried mum!!!
Jane I possibly could get some kind of powder but her coat is so so soft I'd hate to dry it up.
Catherine cashmere's and angora's are different breeds.
The first link is pictures of angora rabbits...the second is cashmere's! Just incase you are interested....Angora rabbits (to my knowledge) need to be clipped cause their fur is like wool and doesn't stop grwoing where as Cashmere's don't. They have long fur but it stops at a certain length. They also look different too as you'll tell from the pics.
http://www.fluffymeadowrabbitry.com/OurAngoras.html

well it was taking too long to find pictures of cashmeres on the net but here is molly and she is a cashmere!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh and catherine if any of the breeders have any info. I'd love to hear!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 09:12 AM

Ok I think a Cashmere Lop is probably like/similar too an American Fuzzy Lop. Maybe if you did a search on those you would find more info. There is probably also a club webpage for the AFL too which may have info.

I have to run, but if you don't find anymore info I will look later.

Catherine
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks for all your help catherine...I don't have time to research right now but I'll do some later on and see what I find. I appreciate all your help!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:03 AM
jon
User Is No Longer Welcome

About the dog detangling thingy, you should try some lorriel kids detangle thingy, or some other child friendly stuff
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks jon but I would be a bit scared about using a kid detabgler on rabbits...half of the animal safe detanglers out there probably won't be safe for rabbits!! They are really sensitive to that stuff!! Thanks for your reply though, I appreciate it!