Bunny Hair Everywhere - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wink Bunny Hair Everywhere

My bunnies are shedding like crazy! When you pet them, fur just flies everywhere. Its all over their cage too, and they look so funny because they have clumps of detached fur all over them. I had no idea that bunnies lost so much hair in the summer. I had one of my bunnies last summer but I didn't notice him shedding like this. I wonder how long this will last...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Newborn Pup

one of my bunnies sheds like crazy. only sometimes hers lasts months. the other is siamese, so he doesn't shed as much. i think he has less fur year round. not sure tho. what i have found is that buying a wire kitty brush, the kind with lots of bristles, and brushing her every night as part of the cage cleaning routine, helps a lot. by the time you get done brushing, you could swear a few nice sweaters could be made out of the fur you combed out.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckbrat
by the time you get done brushing, you could swear a few nice sweaters could be made out of the fur you combed out.
LOL. I brushed them today with a kitty brush. Its not the wire kind though, I'll have to get one of those. I just realized that they were shedding today. I noticed the hair before but I thought it was my male being mean to my female. He has been known to pull out some of her hair . I'm so glad that they are shedding instead of fighting! I was worried that they needed to be separated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Newborn Pup

My male is always nice to my female. It's the female who's mean to the male. Let me know how the brushing works out for you.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks. I've heard that the females are usually the dominant ones. Sonora is smaller and younger than Mo and she is totally submissive to him. I'm not liking him too much right now because he is being such a brat to her.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Newborn Pup

I think it depends on who came first. I had my girl bunny for almost three years, before I brought my boy bunny home. I think it's a territorial thing. I'm happy we're moving, because neither of them will be on the other one's terf, so maybe the fighting will stop. I took out to the new house over the weekend, and put them in the yard. At first they fought over the shady spot, but then they actually started being nice and ended up sitting next to each other and eating grass. It was cute!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckbrat
by the time you get done brushing, you could swear a few nice sweaters could be made out of the fur you combed out.
I'm starting to see what you mean! I bought a wire kitty brush and I cannot believe the amount of hair that has been coming off. I read that rabbits go through light sheddings a few times a year and then a heavier shedding. Mo is shedding up a storm! He looks so funny because his fur is all patchy now. He had a bald spot that hasn't grown back for a year and I'm so happy because its finally filling in! I can't wait until they stop shedding though because their fur is everywhere and I'm worried that they are going to have problems with hairballs.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

OMG! So I'm not the only one! I was starting to think there was something wrong with Dutchie...Fur is floating in the air around here and it's all his!! Lucky doesn't seem to shed at all, but Dutchie's...well lets just say we don't need to buy cotton balls anymore I've also started giving him extra papaya just in case and will ask the vet about using any kind of hairball remedy like you would with cats when we go...

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've read that you can give them Laxatone (spelling?) and I did that this morning. Sonora loves it but Mo hates it (of course he does because he's the one who really needs it!) Hay also helps so I reduced their pellets so they will have to eat more hay.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Good idea...I haven't tried the Laxatone, but both Lucky and Dutchie are big on hay and both love papaya, so, I'll check with the vet for anything else I can do...Dutchie's got the fur all over the place!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Mandie, is Dutchie still shedding? Mo is just about done now. It was crazy for awhile there. I'd do a few strokes with a wire brush and it would be completely full of hair! It was insane. I had to brush him like 10 times a day, even though he's a shorthaired bunny! He's still losing it on his lower back. He looks like those hamsters with the tufts of fur on each side of their tail! LOL He looks really pretty though with his brand new coat.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Actually it has slowed down a bit...not too much up by his neck and shoulders but around the lower back to bum area he's still losing it. It's nowhere near as bad though...at least not clogging up the vaccuum hose anymore

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

When rabbits are shedding you need to brush them often cause otherwise they will swallow alot of it when they are cleaning themselves and can get fur balls which have to be surgical removed. Just so you know!!! Try having cashmere's...I have some pictures of Shadow losing her winter coat (in the middle of winter....it's been extremely warm here, although this week is cold). I brush Molly for an hour twice a week and Shadow gets it once a week cause she isn't as bad. I could make a sweater out of one sitting!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

LOL. Like I said, I've been brushing him like 10 times a day

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Sorry I missed that! My bad!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
cage cleaning