Bunny Homes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Trying to get ready for when I get my own bunny, I have been doing alot of looking at pictures of rabbitries. I see alot of places have stacks and stacks of cages with bunnies in them. Why does this feel wrong to me?? Do these bunnies ever get out of these cages to run around? The cages look so small. I guess if I was a breeder and had alot of rabbits I would have to do this. Do the smaller breed rabbits not need much room? If I was to get a holland lop, my hubby2B was going to build me a pen about 4' wide and 8' long as it would be mostly inside and was going to make another one just for outside. I was thinking about getting a opened pen but I had this fear of some bird swooping down and carrying off my bun. ( we have eagles here as well as other birds of prey). Maybe cages just look cruel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Will It Ever Change?

all animals need lots of space to run and stretch their legs. you can get cube thingies to make a sweet cage,

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f134/...buy-38624.html

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
all animals need lots of space to run and stretch their legs. you can get cube thingies to make a sweet cage,

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f134/...buy-38624.html
Ditto.
I have a cube cage,but don't use it
Buster (my rabbit) sleeps on my bed with me& my two small dogs.
I don't like cages either.Thats why I believe the bigger the better& definately lots of time outside of the cage!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If the rabbit is going to be a pet I'd say get the largest cage possible . You can make cages out of storage cubes like Natalie said or you can use an exercise pen. I have store-bought cages but my rabbits are mostly free-range anyways .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I use a cube cage - but Zeus is only in his cage when I'm not around to keep an eye on him.

Are you going to have your bun be indoors or outdoors? I would suggest keeping him/her inside. Inside is safer for buns, you won't have to worry about anything attacking them or scaring them. If you kept them inside you could get an open pen and not have to worry about birds of prey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

When I can finally find my elusive bunny he/she will indoors. I will make sure that It will get fixed. I have already been intouch with my dogs vet and made sure that he can also look after my bunny.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

We made a large cube cage. Our buns love it. I has shelves so they can get up high. They love to lay and sleep on the top shelf. The doors of the cage are never closed though. They have the run of our middle bedroom. I bunny proofed the room as well as I could.
Penelope has the run of the back bedroom until we can get her bonded to the other two. All three are completely litter trained.
And I will give them hallway hop time occasionally. All three of them love this. I am not sure why other than they usually don't get to run the hall.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you want a pen for outside, you might be able to find a used dog kennel (chain link) for a reasonable price. That is what I use. With some models, you can buy an extra side which you can attach and use as a top, or you might want to cover the top with a cargo tarp for shade. The biggest danger would be if your rabbit digs his or her way out. My rabbits never try to dig out. They seem to think they need to know where everything is before they dig, so I move their cardboard tunnels, tree branches and step stools around once a week.

Some rabbitries do have exercise areas for their rabbits. I don't like the idea of animals being kept in small cages, but it happens a lot these days with all kinds of animals. This is called "factory farming" and it is a big issue with chickens. Do a web search sometime and it will make you cry.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:46 AM

Bertie lives in, & has a double storey cage. He also has the run of 80% of the flat, so is only 'locked up' at night.
As we have a balcony we can take off the top floor, and put it outside, with the door opening to the balcony door. He can then hop in & out at will, and loves being outside in his cage.

He goes in his cage freely, and loves it. He has a straw house in there & when he dosen't want to be disturbed, he goes in that. The cage is his space, we respect that & it works well for him.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Check out this website
Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs.

I got the rat cage, the top comes off (I always keep mine off). I just bought a rug at home depot for 15 bucks and put it underneath

They love it...the cage is always open and they don't want to come out of it
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 PM

just a heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieQC
Check out this website
Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs.

I got the rat cage, the top comes off (I always keep mine off). I just bought a rug at home depot for 15 bucks and put it underneath

They love it...the cage is always open and they don't want to come out of it
Martins Cages are wonderful.
I bought rat cages from them.
Theres a problem though,good thing = wire floors allows you to hang toys& hammocks etc.
Bad thing = it's a wire floor.
No small animal should have to stay on a wire floor.I recommend martin's cages,just not for rabbits or chinchillas,unless you get some nice solid flooring.My rats have fleece flooring.I can still hang their toys,but the fleece gives them solid flooring (it's mat like,attached with hooks so you can easily remove it to wash but when in the cage the hooks prevent the rats from moving it).
I can get a pic of my rabbit cage tommorrow to show you.It was only used once & right now pretty much serves as a clean laundry storage place until I fold my clothes
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I have read alot of bunnies getting sore hocks cause they are in cages. For those that have multiple bunnies and cages are more practical than pens, how do you gaurd against this?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

I think you asked something about this up above - I wanted to tell you that just because you get a smaller breed rabbit doesn't always mean you can use a smaller cage! Some websites I read say that dwarf rabbits can live in very small cages, and I don't think that's true at all! The smaller breeds are often more hyper and need more room in my opinion.

I don't have multaple bunnies and don't keep Zeus in the type of cage your talking about - but to prevent against sore hocks you need to cover the wire on the bottom of the cage with something. Rabbits don't have pads on the bottom of their feet like cats and dogs do to protect their paws - so standing on uncomfortable surfaces can really bother their feet. If you do get a cage with wire on the bottom, you need to cover up at least part of the wire so they have a place to rest their feet. You could cut a piece of plywood or something to cover it, or just use blankets or towels or something - or use both.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I would have to say that Penelope our dwarf is more active then the other two larger bunnies. Our two bbig bunnies love to hang out on the top floor of their cage. I find them sleeping more than Penelope.
I really love their cube cage even though it's never locked. It just gives them space to hop up.
If you ask them they will tell you multiple levels RULE!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozette
I have read alot of bunnies getting sore hocks cause they are in cages. For those that have multiple bunnies and cages are more practical than pens, how do you gaurd against this?
If the cage isn't wire-bottomed (or they can get off the wires) and is kept clean then sore hocks aren't a problem.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
holland lop, litter train, litter trained, rabbit cage, rat cage