Bunny Mess Advice Please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bunny Mess Advice Please!

Hi guys! been forever since I posted, but i'm hoping for some tips! After trying a million different things (well not quite a million lol) I'm nearly tearing out my hair! Both my buns have litter boxes and although they do use them alot, there is still poops EVERWHERE! other problem is the hay, it is inevitably always tipped over and scattered everywhere! They are inside buns and these messses are destroying 7 clogging vacuum after vacuum lol! i have a bagless vacuum atm & the clog is just crazy! TYhe one with a bag was just as bad! My one bunny is a neat idea cube type of complex and the lower front half has a plexi glass wall to prevent the mess from coming out, but its still there! the other bunny has a section of our den with a small pet fence thing to keep her in. For their hay I use big cat litter pans, the plastic type. It still gets dumped everywhere. Their litter boxes are the enclosed type of litter pan.

What are your secrets for a cleaner house or simpler clean ups? LOL, Id love to hear the ideas, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't vacuum hay or poops regularly.

Flash is pretty good now about keeping most of his poops in his litter boxes, though occasionally, there'll be one or two kicked out. I just use a scoop to put them back in the litter box.

As for hay, some of it gets on the floor around the hay bin and litter box. He gets hay in the box to eat while he "goes", which might be part of why he's so good about using the box. But again, I just use a dust pan and brush to get most of the hay up, rather than vacuuming. I only pull out the vacuum every couple of weeks to do a really thorough cleaning.

--Fromper
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

I got a cheap rug from the doller store. Then got a plastic tarp. But the plastic down over the floor then put the rug on top of the plastic...then comes the cage on top of that. Of course you can still use whatever flooring your using in the cage now, especially if your afraid your rabbits might chew on the rug. Be creative and try to find something you can wrap around the sides of the cage to keep the rabbits from being able to kick stuff out. You could probably use cardboard, coroplast, or something like that, or even build a wooden frame if your good with stuff like that. Then when it's cleaning time, all the mess should be contained inside the cage. You can empty out the cage, pick it up and move it over, then all the mess should be on the rug. I just roll up the rug and take it outside to clean it. If anything does happen to soak through the rug, the plastic tarp will protect your floor.

Also, I don't use a vacuume to clean up after my bunnies I use just a broom and dustpan, you don't have to worry about those clogging. Of course that might be hard if you have rug floors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Betta Bomb

Both my girls will pee in the litter but poop goes everywhere when theyre out around because they dont like each other and have seperate running times-so they smell each other and poop to reclaim territory. I learned to grin and bear it, there could be worse mess in this house- a little brush and dustpan help me everyday and weekly vacuum keep it tolerable. honey,bunnys are messy but theyre adorable so you cant get mad at them-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Im not mad at my bunnies at all! I was just looking to exchange Tidy Tips (LOL) with fellow bunny owners! My main concern is the cost of vacuums since they are breaking lol! My one bun is our living area so that is carpeted and it really has to be vacuumed unfortumately. The plexiglass wall do keep most of the mess from getting out, but its not your tip over kind of cage. It is a LARGE neat idea cube condo home, so no tipping that, heheh. My other bunny I may try the tarp idea with. Findinga good sized cheap rug though will be tough, but worth a shot. Wish it was as simple as a dust pan, lol!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

They need to make super vacuums that can withstand bunny messes! I broke one before using it on my bunny messes too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Betta Bomb

I wish my bunnies could have run of the living room or whole floor-but that would mean serious back pain from having to carry my doggie from room to room so he dont have to jump the Rubbermaid squares-(coz he basically my shadow)

And too bad there wasnt a "Turbo Charged Vacuum-Bunny Edition"that would take soo much out of the floor and sprinkle a fine coating of magic which would prevent any mess for a week!.........that would be marvellous.....but for now ill stick to the same ol' routine and hope its good enough for them
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Ha yeah... actually I've only ever had my bunny cage on the hardwood floors, then it's easier to just sweep up after them.

I keep my buns in a large NIC cage for now too, and even though it's big, once I empty all their stuff out of it it's pretty light. I can just move it over to clean underneith it. I only do that once in awhile though, since both mine are good with their litter boxes. I don't mind the stray hay much as long as it stays in their cage and isn't all over the floor.

I swear bunnies love messes. I'll make their cage all comphy and clean looking and as soon as they go back in they set to work making it look like a tornado hit again.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Betta Bomb

yes- so much for clean animals...they are remarkably clean they just untidy..oh well.i had to move botrh cages to the computer room b/c i have a ceiling leak in my bedroom where they were and once the landlord sends someone i need them out of the room till then b/c the landlord just thinks we have 2 cats..........wont he be surprised to see everybody?! so i had to hide them till the ceiling is fixed... in my bedroom its a canvas floor so its just breathe on it and dust bunnies roll away-its harder in here where its cramped and carpeted....are your bunns in your bedroom>?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, untill my boyfriend and I move the bunny cage is in our bedroom. It's kind of annoying because they can be so loud at night. But we bunny proofed the whole room so they get to run around in it all day, which is nice

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Betta Bomb

i know what you mean about them being so loud! at night their toys become super loud and concentrated-its been peaceful while they were moved up here-but when theyre in my room i use ear plugs to sleep....really helpful but not to drown out every sound.