Bunny Nightmares?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Bunny Nightmares??

Lately Jellybean has been stomping in the middle of the night. Just one random STOMP at around 3am. At first I thought it may just be some sort of a bunny nightmare but lately its been more and more common.

After the first stomp scares the living daylights out of me, I usually go over to the cage and pet him, and then go back to bed. That usually does the trick. However, if I dont go over to him he will stomp a few more times.

Anyone heard of anything like this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 AM

Thumping is usually one of three things:
a. asserting dominance in the presence of other animals (especially other rabbits)
b. "Look at me! Look at me!" (used to garner attention of those around the "thumper")
c. a motion out of fear -- either of another animal, or a threatening situation.

In the wild, when a rabbit thumps, usually all the other rabbits stop for a bit to see what's up (assess the situation), and then either take off running away from the hungry bobcat (or whathaveyou), investigate the new stimuli, or show submission (or challenge) the dominant bunny.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree thumping of the back feet normally is a sign of fear of dominence or in this case it could be attention seeking as he knows everytime he does it you go to him straight away especially as he stops once you have given him a tickle

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Harry randomly thumps too. Everytime he uses his litter box he has to smack is back foot on the cron cob bedding. At first I thought he had poo stuck to his foot or something but the litter box is generally clean. Unless your bunny does it for a reason, he might be doing it for the fun of it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Haha thanks for the info guys. Its so hard to understand "bunny language"!! But I guess thats why we are all here!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:00 PM

I know that I have seen cats and dogs save their owners from things like gas leaks and such. Was wondering if a bun could smell that stuff too? Have you checked that kind of stuff out around your house. Oh... just another idea, does your home have a water softener and if so maybe the bun can hear it cycle and he thumps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:30 PM

Usually it is things out of the ordinary, or attention seeking that causes rabbits to thump. I have yet to hear of a rabbit thump over something that is "normal" (such as a water softener cycling. That would get to be a fairly regular occurence and would not stress the rabbit).

The best bet is attention seeking.

Tags
litter box