bunny not eating hay? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

bunny not eating hay?

Hello my female bun named lady is 10 months old and I have noticed when i clean her cage out that she has a great deal of timothy hay left as if she is not eating it. i own another male bun brownie whom eats all of his hay. does anyone know why she is not eating much hay.. she needs this stuff!! I am pretty concerned of hairballs and all. She has gone thru being in heat as I have yet to get her fixed. any feedback sure helps.. thanks again.

andrea
mom to :
Sammie-shetland sheepdog
Lady-female mini-rex bun
Brownie-male mini-lop bun
and Soon to be REAl momma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:39 PM

Do you put the hay in a hay rack, or just on the floor? Flash refuses to eat ANY hay from the cage floor, which is sometimes rather annoying because whilst eating from the hay rack he knocks half of it onto the floor
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:43 PM

my rabbits don't like hay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

I put the hay on the floor, actually the hay is in a spot where she ususally eats it. I checked her this morning and saw some hay gone.. guessss she was hungry, all her pellet food was gone when i left for work, so i didnt refill it in hopes she will eat some hay. when i get off work i will refill and hope some more hay is gone.
they do have to eat hay for hairball release right?

andrea
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:22 AM

Our buns will NOT eat the hay if it's on the floor of their pen either..... We have racks in both pens, and they will eat it with no problem from the rack, however any hay that has either been pulled off the rack or falling from the rack, they will not touch.
Also keep in mind bunnies are like any animal, they will eat what they want, and when they are done they are done
Hay is a very important part of any rabbits diet, so I would suggest trying alternative ways to ensure she is getting what she needs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Hi again,
i think what i will do is buy some timothy hay cubes, and hope she will eat them.

andrea
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 AM

my rabbits don't eat hay don't matter whatever you put them...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 AM

Hay cubes might do the trick ... ours get those from time to time as well, it is a great way to give them something to chew on as well as help keep their teeth from possible over growth
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud
Do you put the hay in a hay rack, or just on the floor? Flash refuses to eat ANY hay from the cage floor, which is sometimes rather annoying because whilst eating from the hay rack he knocks half of it onto the floor
My bunnies are the opposite! They won't eat from a hay rack, LOL. Won't really touch hay cubes either.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
My bunnies are the opposite! They won't eat from a hay rack, LOL. Won't really touch hay cubes either.
same here... they won't eat from a rack and they don't like hay even in cubes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

question?
how do you give them hay which is supposed to be good for blocking rabbit hairballs?

andrea
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 07:26 PM

Amber and Jasmine dont eat hay, but Billy and Harvey do..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 07:28 PM

If your bunn isn't eating hay for hairballs, you can use other stuff. my girls only like the cube kind of hay, and they don't eat it very much. I give them papaya enzimes in a chewable pill (it's mint flavored so it helps with bunny breath too ) also you can give them fresh pineapple juice.
Robin
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I give my buns unsweetened peices of pineapple which they love, i checked my lady's cage again while she was out and about hopping around and noticed she was eating some. Maybe she just wasnt in the mood last few days.. think she is kinda moody because she talks an awful lot... makes all kinds of squeaking sounds,,, its the craziest thing!
owell.... i had also brought my Brownie to the vet for his first checkup,, he is skd for surgury to fix him next Tuesday! so Happy are we!!!
once he is fixed I can have the two buns meet again and not have to worry about Lady becoming pregnant!
gotta go!!

andrea

Tags
hay cubes, hay rack, timothy hay