bunny problem! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

bunny problem!

I picked up my lop tonight to cuddle with him and give him a kiss and I smelled something funny. actually not so funny ... very unpleasant. I put him down and thought better of it a minute later so I picked him up again and inspected his ears. Down in his ear canal, I noticed this "moldy" looking stuff and it smells very bad. I can't believe I didn't notice it until now but it's hard to catch unless I pick up his ears and look down into the ear canal. He has no outward symptoms of illness .. runny nose, sneezing, lack of appetite, tilted head, etc. Everything looks fine except for this stuff in his ears. I plan on calling the vet in the morning but may not be able to secure an appt right away. This particular vet does my chinnies and he's in high demand for "exotics". Any ideas as to what this is .. and / or what I can do about it????

Danielle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:46 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Sounds like he might have ear mites. Treatment usually includes removing some of the crusty stuff in the ear and then putting mineral oil in the ear to kill the mites. Sometimes a injection of ivemectin is needed. I would also disenfect the cage and isolate from any other animals.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

he's a "house" bunny, hence, has no cage. I tried to get a closer look inside his ears but he's very "aggravated" with me touching them. I also noticed he's shaking his head more than normal and pawing at his ears. I just can't believe I didn't notice this sooner. He's very energetic and rambunctious as always. I never would have suspected anything except for the smell. Kinda like "dirty belly button" smell if you know what I mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Yep shaking his head and pawing at his ears is usually a sign. They probably feel kind of tender, but I am sure once treatment has started he will realise you are trying to help, and will calm down a little bit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

yep get him to the vet...he needs treatment! Once he gets his treatment he should be fine.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I talked to the rescue today where I got Monty (last year) and she said it definitely sounds like ear mites. she recommended a good bunny vet, where I have an appt for Friday. Apparently, he needs to get some kind of shot (injection). hope it goes smoothly...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

just an update .. it was earmites and an extensive ear infection because of them. He got his ears cleaned out, plus a shot. I have ear drops for him now plus I have to take him back in two weeks for another injection. poor bun bun

Tags
ear infection, ear mites