Bunny Q's / Problems? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Bunny Q's / Problems?

I just received a rabbit and I know nothing about them... I'm wondering if it wasn't very well taken care of..... I have a couple q's if I should worry or not. First off, it's got quite a bit of poo stuck to it's backside.. I washed it off as best I could. The bunny is shedding, so is that why? Or is it a more extensive problem? Also, the people who gave it to me THINK it's a girl, but when I cleaned it up, it looked like he had a pair of testicles. How do I tell for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:29 AM

It sounds like diarrhea to me. You should probably take it to the vet for a check-up but most diarrhea in rabbits is caused by too many fruits and veggies.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:30 AM
jon

i thought that the bunnies testicles were inside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 AM

If your bunny has diarrhea, he needs to go to the vet because it could be cause by internal parasites. My bunnies had that because the pet store didn't take care of them that well.
Also, get a book from the pet store about bunnies, they can really help. Why did you get a bunny if you know nothing about them?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

I agreed to take in the bunny because he has no where else to go- my step sister no longer wanted to take care of him/play with him. I don't think it's diahhrea because it's not runny- it's not really even that soft... It's just stuck to his back end... Also, what kind of food should I be feeding him, treats, and toys? They gave me a bag of his food, but I don't know if it's a very good brand.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:48 PM

You can use Ox Bow, that's a really good brand and veterinarian recommended. Mine use Kaytee pellets because they will eat nothing else, no matter what I try.
It could still be diarrhea and parasites. My Charlie had feces sticking to her butt, and we took both buns to the vet, and they had diarrhea and parasites. But, it was from the pet store not taking care of them properly, not from us. I hope this helps.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

www.rabbit.org is a great site for new bunny owners!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:44 AM

I use Kaytee Fortified pellets. The site Carmen suggested has a list of veggies and other good info.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
I use Kaytee Fortified pellets.
I use those too!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

I think its the cecotrophs (sp?) that are getting stuck to his behind. I read that this sometimes happens when they're overweight or arthritic and cant reach back there to eat. How do I tell if he's overweight?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:06 PM

Check books or websites on breed profiles and see what breed your bunny is, then check the average weight, and then weigh your bunny.

I would take your bunny to the vet even if he's not sick just for a check up. I take mine in annually unless they get sick. He might have parasites without you knowing since he wasn't well cared for.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Check books or websites on breed profiles and see what breed your bunny is, then check the average weight, and then weigh your bunny.

I would take your bunny to the vet even if he's not sick just for a check up. I take mine in annually unless they get sick. He might have parasites without you knowing since he wasn't well cared for.
I agree. You should take the bunny to the vet for a checkup. Then you can confirm the sex of the bunny and see if he/she is spayed/neutered as well. You should be feeding your bunny lots of timothy hay or grass hay. It really helps with degestive problems and should always be available for the bunny. Let us know how everything goes.

Tags
grass hay, pet store, timothy hay