Bunny Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Bunny Questions

Hey! I just joined this site and just got my bun bun Lola. Lola is a Dwarf Lop. I just got her sunday. We have had 2 rabbits before. We bout them both on the same day from the same place, but for some reason they both died 2 days later. We took them to the vet ect. when they started acting funny (the night after we got them) and they seemed healthy, to this day we don't know what happened to them.Well anyway we are being extra careful with Lola! I was wondering if Lola's diet seems ok and what else we could add to it...

Her diet is
*Unlimited hay
*Unlimited water (of course)
*1/4 cup of pellets a day
*Every morning she gets a little bit of alfalfa, but just a few strands becuase we had read that alfalfa isn't good for bunnies.
*She gets a treat once in awhile (dried fruit) but we are very careful with this as well and she only gets half of a normal pice.

I was wondering...

*What could be added to her diet to improve it

*What types of fruits/veggies aer good for young bunnies

*And what is the best type of nail clippers are best for bunnies.

*Also how do you litter box train a bunnie. She already will go to her cage to go to the bathroom when she is out, but she goes anywhere in her cage. and If she is litter box trained will she use it even in her cage so that she is not sitting in her 'filth' all day.

Thanks sooo! Much!

~Megan and Lola~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBunny
Hey! I just joined this site and just got my bun bun Lola. Lola is a Dwarf Lop. I just got her sunday. We have had 2 rabbits before. We bout them both on the same day from the same place, but for some reason they both died 2 days later. We took them to the vet ect. when they started acting funny (the night after we got them) and they seemed healthy, to this day we don't know what happened to them.Well anyway we are being extra careful with Lola! I was wondering if Lola's diet seems ok and what else we could add to it...

Her diet is
*Unlimited hay
*Unlimited water (of course)
*1/4 cup of pellets a day
*Every morning she gets a little bit of alfalfa, but just a few strands becuase we had read that alfalfa isn't good for bunnies.
*She gets a treat once in awhile (dried fruit) but we are very careful with this as well and she only gets half of a normal pice.

I was wondering...

*What could be added to her diet to improve it

*What types of fruits/veggies aer good for young bunnies

*And what is the best type of nail clippers are best for bunnies.

*Also how do you litter box train a bunnie. She already will go to her cage to go to the bathroom when she is out, but she goes anywhere in her cage. and If she is litter box trained will she use it even in her cage so that she is not sitting in her 'filth' all day.

Thanks sooo! Much!

~Megan and Lola~
Hi Megan!

First of all, welcome to PT. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your other bunnies.

How old is Lola? Bunnies under a year old can have alfalfa hay. After that, you should stop feeding it completely. They get alfalfa in their pellets as well so feeding alfalfa hay to adult bunnies provides too much calcium for them. What other kinds of hay do you feed? Timothy hay is great, and you can also get an oat, wheat, and barley combo that they love.

Bunnies should get a minimum of two cups of veggies per day. Some good choices are: cilantro, parsley, italian parsley, kale, dandelion greens, broccoli, carrots, mustard greens, collard greens, endive, and escarole. www.rabbit.org has a more complete list of fruits and veggies as well as info on litter training your rabbit. Rabbits naturally like using a litter box, so you shouldn't have much of a problem there. I use Feline Pine for litter with hay on top. They like to munch on the hay while they go to the bathroom.

I use small nail clippers that look like tiny scissors. I believe they were in the cat section at Petsmart. They work great.

Is Lola spayed? If not, you'll want to look into that. They are much happier and live longer lives if they are spayed. Let us know if you have more questions!

Last edited by veggiegirl; 09-15-2004 at 06:10 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for replying, Lola is a little over 3 months. I feed timothy hay and will look into those other types when we get more hay. Lola is not spayed but we are looking into that. About how much does it cost and when is the best time to do it? Also she is my only bunny and I doubt we will be getting another because if we do get another it will be an angora and I don't know where to get those (friend has one, but got hers from a friend lol) but she should be spayed even though this is a one bunny house right? thanks!

~Megan and Lola~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:50 PM

Bunnies can be spayed/neutered any time aftre six months. You should still spay your bun bun because her temperament and personality will be a lot less agressive, or so to speak, if she is spayed. I don't know how much it costs, but let a bunny experienced vet handle the operation. Good luck with your bun!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 07:33 PM

Millimi is right. They get crazy when the hormones kick in! Female bunnies are also very likely to develop uterine cancer if they are not spayed. It has to be performed by a rabbit experienced vet, and the cost varies. I've heard it can be pricey but if you contact a local rabbit rescue they can probably refer you to the clinic that they use. It was only $60 to spay my bunny because I got it done at the clinic that the rescue uses.

If Lola is only three months, you can feed alfalfa. I got my bun Sonora at about that age and I fed timothy, oat/wheat/and barley combo, and a small amount of alfalfa. I wasn't big on alfalfa because some bunnies tend to like it so much that they ignore the other types of hay. But its really up to you because I heard its good for them while they are still growing.

Last edited by veggiegirl; 09-15-2004 at 07:35 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

(I am sorry if this has been posted like 3 times, but I can't see it show up newere so sorry if it has lol)

this is how lola sleeps every night. SHe refuses to sleep one the shavings, or the ground for that matter lol (she is out growin her little home thingy! We have to get a new one lol. That one is from our other two bunnies I talked about in the first post)

Lola, probably wondering why she keeps seeing flashes
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:27 PM

Awww, she's soooooooo cute! Do you use wood shavings as bedding? If so, most shavings can cause health problems in bunnies so you might want to look into a different kind of bedding.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I use wood shavings. What do you use? We where going to get a cage where the bunny is on a wire type floor and then u have that little pull out tray, but I read that they can get deformed feet as a result of getting their toes stuck in the wiring so we didn't get on.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awww soooo so cute!!! Great advice everyone!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:53 AM

She's sooo cute! She looks just like Caesar, but her head is shaped like Charlie's! I miss my bunnies being babies, they were so cute! Lola is precious!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:51 AM

Once she's litter box trained, you don't really need to have bedding on the floor of the cage. I have one of my bunnies in a large dog crate with a plastic floor. She has a litter box with Feline Pine in it, and hay on top of that. Feline Pine is a pellet type litter used for kitties. When it gets wet, it turns to sawdust and its rabbit safe. You can also use Carefresh litter in the litter box or for bedding instead of the shavings you are using now. Wood shavings can mess up their livers and cause other health problems, and www.rabbit.org has more info on that. My other bunny Rusty is in an exercise pen with natural straw mats for the floor. He uses his litter box and there are little poops on the mats here and there lol, but I just sweep them up. You can get your bunny a cage with a wire bottom if you give her resting mats so she can get off the wire. Pier 1 sells really cool mats by the square foot (I posted a thread about it), or you can find plastic mats and other grass mats online or in pet stores. I personally won't get a wire cage because Rusty, who came from a shelter, has bald spots on his heels (he was probably kept on wire for much of his life). I'm going to build a cage with a plastic bottom and put straw mats over it. Hope this helps. There are a lot of other threads in the rabbit section on cage building and litter.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

plain old newspaper works well too!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I used like a whole thing of shavings on her cage (big cage, small bag) and so we gotta go to the store before we can cahnge her cage (have been scoopin poop and pee spots lol) so I will put les shavings in there when I change it (saturday) and we already have a little box so its just a matter of getting litter. There was this litter at the petstore that says its made for ferrets and rabbits? Should I buy that or that feline pine?

Tags
alfalfa hay, box trained, collard greens, dandelion greens, dried fruit, feline pine, litter box, litter box trained, litter train, litter training, mustard greens, pet store, pet stores, timothy hay, wire cage, wood shavings