A bunny story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

A bunny story

Just wanted to share a story about one of my best ever pets. This story took place 20 years ago. Gosh that makes me feel old! LOL! He was a grey lop eared bunny... not sure what kind... but he wasn't very big. My gymnastics coach gave him to me. His name was Booker and he was litter box trained and stayed in my room. Booker went everywhere with me. Some people take their dogs everywhere... well I took my bunny everywhere.

My mom was an artist. She made pottery and we would go to art fairs every Saturday and Sunday. Booker would come too. I'd keep him in a portable cage for the drive and he stayed in it while we set up her pottery display. After all was set up, I'd let Booker out onto the grass and he would personally make his rounds saying good morning to all the other artists. He'd run down to each of them, get his pat from them, and then run back to me. The other artists were so amazed by Booker. He seemed to know his boundaries. It was awesome! Sometimes when a lot of people were walking by, I would put him on his leash. I always had to keep an eye out for dogs. Everytime someone went walking by with a dog, I'd grab Booker and take him out of the dogs site. Didn't want any commotion, you know! Booker was a real crowd pleaser. The kids just loved him! He'd get so much attention on Saturdays and Sundays... let me tell you!

Booker even went camping with us to the beach. Now that was funny! Booker would run up to the waters edge and then run back when a wave came crashing in... LOL He was such a character!

Well one day I let Booker out into the living room. My dad's cat was in there and Booker and Louisa started to play together. It seemed harmless. Well unfortunately Louisa scratched Booker on his ear. I washed it the best I could. Days later the scratch started to look worse. His ear started to get hard. I took him to the vet and learned that his ear had gotten so infected that gangrene had set in and the only thing they could do was to amputate his ear. Oh my gosh! So long story short, Booker had his ear amputated. He was now a one ear lop ear bunny.

After he was healed from the surgery, I started bringing him to the art fairs again. He would still do his welcoming trot around to all the other artists. But now when people would walk by my mom's display, they would stop when they saw him napping there and ask, "What is that?" Funny how a bunny doesn't look like a bunny when it has only one ear!

Booker was a great pet. I had had other bunnies before him but he was the best by far. I practically knew how he was feeling if that makes sense. I could tell when he didn't want to go to the art fair with me and if he didn't want to go, I would leave him home.

You know those ceramic animals that you can buy at a craft store? The ones that are all white until you paint them? Well I bought a lop ear bunny one. It was the same size as Booker and looked just like him... except that this bunny had an extra ear. My dad took care of that for me! He sawed the ear off the ceramic bunny... and made it look just like Booker! Where Bookers ear was, there was only a hole. After my dad got done transforming the ceramic Booker for me, I painted him. To this day, I still have my Booker replica in my living room. He has gotten a little chipped up from moving thru the years but it reminds me all the time of the best bunny I ever had. I love you Booker!

Thanks for listening.

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 01:15 PM

oh what a nice story...i used to have a rabbit and it was the best pet I've ever had I think. Thanks for sharing this with everyone!

Anne
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh that is such a great story!!! Thankyou for sharing it with us!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
box trained, litter box, litter box trained