Bunny treats? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip View Post
What about fresh banana pieces. They are a bit slimy and hard to handle but my bunners love banana.
And I have heard some buns go crazy for parsley. Maybe he would go for parsley?
He gets parsley as part of his daily greens, but I think it's his least favorite. I wasn't going to buy more when I run out, since there are so many other veggies he hasn't tried yet that I want to offer him instead. Carrot's the only fresh veggie he likes enough to specifically look for, though as I said, he's getting bored with it. I haven't tried fresh bananas with him yet. I have some, but I usually eat them when I'm at work, not home, so it's tough to share.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Penelope is not too fond of parsley. At first she wouldn't even eat it. But since it's one of Teddys favorites I kept buying it. She is now eating it.
Has anyone suggested apples? No seeds though.
Or pineapple? A bit messy but a big hit at my house. You may have to offer it more than once. Now that mine have all tried it they love it.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I bought him some yogurt drops last night, and gave them to him when he went in his litter box. He ate them, but I'm not sure if he liked them enough to follow them if I need to lure him somewhere. Actually, I used carrot for that again last night, and he did follow it to back into his cage at the end of nightly playtime. I'll see how it goes tonight with the yogurt drops.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I had some extra time while getting ready for work this morning, so I let Flash out for about 20 minutes of morning play time. I gave him a yogurt drop when he used his litter box, and he willingly followed another yogurt drop back into his cage at the end of play time. So I think that might work, maybe alternating with carrots to keep him from getting bored with either treat.

--Fromper
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Try Papaya tablets. My rabbits go nuts for them and they're good for them too! They contain enzymes that help prevent hairballs. They're more expensive then other treats, but healthier then other store bought treats. I get the 500 count jars and feed each of my bunnies 2 tablets a day almost everyday, and they still last me awhile (months). I swear both my bunnies would do anything to get a papaya tablet

http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showPro...?PRODUCT_NO=52

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I tried papaya treats, and he wasn't that interested. He ate them, but he didn't like them enough that he followed the smell to his litter box or cage when I needed him to, so they won't work for training.

--Fromper
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

He is a very picky bunny not going for papaya tabs.
Have you tried the fresh banana? It has the odor needed to catch his attention. What about red peppers?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

We're doing well with carrots and yogurt drops right now. I haven't had a chance to try fresh banana with him yet. Since he's spending the weekend boarding at the vet's office (I planned a weekend trip several weeks before I met Flash), that will probably wait for next week.

I just hope the little guy isn't too upset about staying with the vet this weekend. He's only been with me for two and a half weeks, but we've become good friends very quickly. He even licks me! I'm worried that since he was already dumped by one family, he might think I'm abandoning him too.

--Fromper
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes bunnies can be picky for awhile when they're first given a new treat/food, but then once they get use to it they'll love it! That's how my bunnies are - the first time I give them something new they'll barely touch it at all, it's like they're trying to decide if it's safe to eat or not. After awhile, even if they seemingly didn't like it for awhile, they'll suddenly decide that they love it

I bet he'll be fine at the vet. As soon as he knows it you'll be coming back to pick him up again! Maybe you could bring an old tshirt or something that smells like you, and ask the vet to keep it in the cage with him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
cardboard box, dried fruit, dried fruits, litter box, litter box training, pet store, timothy hay