Bunny treats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Bunny treats?

What type of treats are good for bunnies? I want something small that I can use as a reward when training him, so something bite sized is ideal. Any suggestions for types of treats that are healthy for them and most bunnies like?

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
is a little "special"

I just give Smudge fruit and veggies. ^^ I did have some home made treats, but I lost them- theyre probably somewhere in the back of my freezer, LOL! XD
I dont really trust store bought treats tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I use dried (no sugar added) cranberries and raisins. I also sometimes buy 'rabbit' treats at the pet store like yogurt ones. Dried fruit (or fresh) can work as well, this way you can cut it into the size you want, the smaller the piece the more you can give them. You don't want to give them to many treats, even dried fruit.
My bunnies also get a papaya tablet every night, this helps with digestion, and they love them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

my rabbits go crazzzyyy for baby carrots, i actually got them to stand up and walk for the carrots. ( so now every time they want a carrot they stand up and try to walk lol)

I LOVE MY BABIES:
OREYO & CARAMELA ( BUNNIES)

( RIP oreyo & caramela i love you
)
COTTEN & CANDY ( PARAKEETS)

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I like to use vegetables...carrot slices are a big hit . Raisins, banana chips, papaya, and other dried fruits work but can't be fed as much because of the sugar.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Part of the Pack

Since Lucky is on timothy pellets I give him alfalfa pellets as an occasional treat...he loves them. I am weaning Molly from them so I still have some on hand. Bananas don't do well when training...they get a little slimy....but I'm sure Lucky would do anything for banana.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I went with carrots as a treat tonight instead of as a normal part of his dinner, and it worked well. I lured him into the new litter box with a baby carrot. He still doesn't understand what the litter box is for, but at least he knows it's there, and he knows it's his. He even chinned the edges to mark it.

--Fromper
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Our rabbit doesn't get very many treats when shes out. She usually gets too busy exploring something to worry about food. but she likes raisins and carrot slices.. sometimes she will just rub her chin on them and go back to exploring

Have you put some hay in his litter box? For some reason Rabbits like to nibble while they're in the litter box.. (i suppose because they cant read the newspaper?) Most rabbits should be on timothy hay, but we get ours some alfalfa as a treat once in awhile, and she goes crazy for it. so maybe putting some alfalfa in his box would keep him in there a bit longer?

My Furry Family
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He has timothy hay, both in his "cage" and litter box, and he's not quite sure what that's for, either. He hardly touches the stuff. I left him some parsley in his cage last night, and it was gone this morning, so he finally figured out that he can eat greens, so that's a step in the right direction, anyway. I'm not sure how to encourage him to eat more hay. For now, I think I'll stick to carrots for litter box training, just because it seems to work.

--Fromper
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, we just had morning play time, and he did much better than last night.

When I first brought him out of the cage, I put him down in the litter box, and he wanted to bolt immediately. But I pet him for a second until he settled down. Once he realized he was in a friendly place, he sat calmly, munched a little hay, and peed in the box like he should! He still pooped on the carpet a little once he got out and started wandering, but nowhere near as much as last night. Mostly, he used the box this time, so I think he's learning.

And as I said, he was starting to munch hay, so I think he's got that figured out now, too. I also cut a baby carrot into 8 little pieces for him and used them as bribes for good behavior. I lured him back into the litter box with them twice, I lured him out from under the couch once, and I used them to calm him down when I put him back in his "cage" (cardboard box) when play time was over. The fact that I have to pick him up to put him in and out of the "cage" is a little distressing for him, so getting a treat seems to help. Once I get him a real cage, that won't be such a big issue, though I'm still likely to use treats to convince him to go in it when I want him to.

Also, I've decided to name him Flash. This seems like a good fit, since he's red and runs around really fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_%28comics%29

--Fromper
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Part of the Pack

Flash is a cute name. I was going to suggest putting all his poops into the litter box and then lure him back in. Glad to hear he is peeing in there as I am sure you are too.

Whatever type of cage you get it is best if they can enter and exit on their own. It is less stressful for them and you.

Our first cage was the kind that you had to lift bunny in or out unless you took the whole top off. We had to roll up our 5X7 area rug everytime we needed to get Lucky back in. When he ran out of rug he finally allowed us to pick him up to go back in.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybunny View Post
Flash is a cute name. I was going to suggest putting all his poops into the litter box and then lure him back in. Glad to hear he is peeing in there as I am sure you are too.

Whatever type of cage you get it is best if they can enter and exit on their own. It is less stressful for them and you.

Our first cage was the kind that you had to lift bunny in or out unless you took the whole top off. We had to roll up our 5X7 area rug everytime we needed to get Lucky back in. When he ran out of rug he finally allowed us to pick him up to go back in.
I already did something like that - I put some of his used bedding from the cardboard box in the litter box to begin with, so he'd recognize his own smell. Then I put some of the poops in it while he was watching so he'd get the idea that poops belong in the litter box.

I'm definitely looking at cages with side doors to put on the floor so I can just leave it open while I'm home, and he can go in and out by himself. I'll probably just by something cheap that's available locally at first, just to get him a cage quickly, then think about mail ordering a really good cage later.

--Fromper
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Newborn Pup

my bunnies like cereal as treats as well as fruit n veggies i only use the high fibre ones though like albran and they love special k with the red berries LOL
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hmm... this little guy is resisting treats. He used to follow carrot, but he seems to be getting bored with it. I tried dried papaya and dried banana treats from the pet store, and although he eats them, he won't follow them to his litter box when I try to lure him there. I may have to try raisins or dried cranberries next, since he doesn't seem to like any other treat enough to use it in training him.

--Fromper
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

What about fresh banana pieces. They are a bit slimy and hard to handle but my bunners love banana.
And I have heard some buns go crazy for parsley. Maybe he would go for parsley?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
cardboard box, dried fruit, dried fruits, litter box, litter box training, pet store, timothy hay