Bunnys nail fell out! need help asap - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bunnys nail fell out! need help asap

My bunny's nail just fell out! im not really sure how, even though i cut his nails three days ago. on yahoo answers i read to apply corn starch or stypic powder, which i did. but his whole nail fell out. should i take him to the vet or will the nail grow back. This is the first nail he has lost and does this happen often? maybe i should trim his nails a little shorter? please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 PM
is a little "special"

Did it get caught on something, and rip out? Like wire cage flooring? Ive heard of rabbits nails getting caught in it, and ripping when their owners pick them up. But if you don't have wire flooring and are keeping his nails trimmed, its probably not your fault. My Smudge mysteriously ripped a nail last year (I think it happened while my friend was bunny-sitting him, because I couldn't find blood anywhere in my house. I didn't even notice his nail was missing until after he came home from the vets, and I thought that they had accidentally cut it off, but the tech said it was already gone before they clipped his nails. So who knows, LOL.), and now it is re-grown.

I would just keep an eye on it for now, and make sure the bleeding stops. You don't really need to take them to the vets for a ripped nail, unless it gets infected or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

I had one of my bunnies rip out a nail on our rug before. He got it tangled around the fibers of the rug while he was running around.

He was fine. It eventually grew back although it did take awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you so much for the advice! Im soo relieved, i was so worried. I think it ripped out when he was sitting on the couch. He was trying to dig and maybe his finger nail got caught on a pillow? and yes, the bleeding has stopped and he seems ok. thanks 8-)

Tags
bleeding, emergency, fell out, nail, vet