Bunnywabbit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bunnywabbit

So ive been lonely lately without a little pet. and i was wondering if bunnys/rabbits make a good pet .(whats the difference between bunny and rabbit?) now dont get the wrong impression i NEVER get a animal i know nothing about, nor will i ever get an animal that i wont be able to take full responsibility of. i was just wondering a few simple questions about them and id figured id ask no one but the best, and obviously the best is the paw talk forum!
so heres just a few basic questions i can look up the rest online and such

What are the pros and Cons of owning a bunny?

are they social do you need 2?

how big does a cage have to be to properly fit them?

i looked this up online and it said they dont like to be held, there ground dwelling animals is this true?

and lastly , what are some common diseases/illnesses bunnys can get?

Thanks so much
Scris

P.S. please please please dont get me wrong, im trying to do this in the least brattish 6 year old kid at the petstore way begging his/her mom. and like i said i will only get a bunny or rabbit if i am 100% confident that i can take care of it properly and give it a good life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Rabbits arn't for everyone, but I love them and think they make good pets.

Pros: They are fun to watch, some can be friendly and develope bonds with their owners. They can be litter box trained and are smarter than most people give them credit for.

Cons: They can be very expensive. They need unlimited hay and fresh veggies. They must go to an exotics vet which is more expensive than a normal dog and cat vet. They should be spayed or neutered to make the best possable pet, and to prevent health and behavioral problems. They are not always friendly, you have to really earn their trust before they'll really enjoy spending time with you and some of them never really learn to enjoy hanging out with humans.

Yes they are social. I would recommend getting two especially if you don't have a lot of time to spend with them. However, bonding can sometimes be difficult and time consuming, and doesn't always work with the rabbits you'd like it to work with. It's usually best to let them pick out their own partners instead of picking for them, or to adopt an already bonded pair. Single rabbits can be happy too, but I personally like to keep them in at least pairs.

Even dwarf breeds should get large cages, because they like the room to move around and play. Most, if not all, of cages sold in pet stores are too small. You could look into building your own, NIC cages are popular. Even with a large cage, they should get at least a few hours a day outside of their cage to get exercise.

i looked this up online and it said they dont like to be held, there ground dwelling animals is this true?

Yes it's true. Most of them don't like to be picked up and held. There are times when picking them up could be necessary, but in general I always try to interact with them on the ground.

Cancer is very common in unspayed females. You also have to look out for GI issues. If a rabbit doesn't eat for a period of 12 hours or more, it should be considered an emergency. Some develope teeth problems and have to have their teeth regularly trimmed by a vet. I'd say things like abcesses, ear infections, and sniffles are also pretty common. Rabbits are prey animals, and so are good at hiding symptoms when they don't feel well. If you notice anything off, it's important to get them to the vet.

If you haven't came across this site already in your research, it's a great place to start: http://www.rabbit.org/

Good luck with your research, and feel free to ask any more questions if you think of more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Pros: Much like DragonRain said, they can be litter trained, and they're smarter than people give them credit for. They can develop amazing bonds with their owners, and other pets in the house. I've seen cats and rabbits having a very tight friendship, rabbits and dogs.... the list is endless. They seem to be willing to give anything a chance at friendship.

Cons: Again, much like DragonRain said, they need hay 24/7. They poop *a lot*, lol, and again... the risk of cancer in females that aren't spayed is high. Males that aren't neutered will spray their territory much like tomcat will. You also need to clean out their anal glands - to me, it kinda smells very faintly like a skunk, it can be pretty nasty at first.

Yes, social! I've heard some people recommend getting 3 rabbits, instead of 2, that way, if one dies, the 2 rabbits still have one another.

I think DragonRain already covered that, You can buy "Organize-It" cubes(That's what they're called here- but their names depends on the place), and fit them together to form as big of a cage as you desire. Any pet store cage really isn't going to be big enough for 2 or 3 rabbits - in fact, we had to build my rabbit a 4 foot by 8 foot hutch because she outgrew the biggest cage I had. No..she's not monstrously huge, but the cage just wasn't designed to house rabbits. ...Another option is you can also build a cage - if you're handy with tools, it's a breeze, particularly power tools. And the materials really add up to cost as much as a large pet store cage(for example, the largest cage I had that she outgrew cost over $100 dollars).

Yeah...that's true. I mean you still need to pick them regardless to clean out their anal glads, and check them over - teeth, ears, eyes, but other than that I think the only kind of rabbit I heard that likes to be held are lop-ears.

Again...already answered. I don't think I need to answer this one myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well thank you both very much! ill defently consider these next time i get the urge to want to get a lito wito bunny once again thanks alot i really appreciate it