Buyer's Guide - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I think I'm going to look for a mini or dwarf lop. I want a small, friendly bunny and this seems to be the best breed for what we want. Thanks for the advice, everyone, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:08 AM

Catherine, you don't have to take things too personnal. The right I have to say what I did, is a survey I sent to a lot of rabbit breeders. Out of 20 that replied to my survey, 19 out of 20 of them told me to NOT get my bunny fixed that it's UNnecessary to put my bunny through stress and that there is chances of death. PLus 16 of them said that NONE of their bunnies sprayed or none are agressive. Only one said it's a personnal choice. And ALL of the 20 breeders, all said that pine and cedar shavings danger is only a myth and that they all use it and no bunny died of it. Sorry but when 19-20 of them tell me that, what does it tell me about breeder?!?! Put yourself in my shoes!!!!! Another thing that was asked in the questionnaire is diet questions. All of them were on a high protein diet.....which is ok since those bunnies are breeding. But someone that DOESNT know about diet, what will that person do?! Put a pet rabbit on high protein diet. That's a NO-NO for pet rabbits that spends most of it's time caged! So now you know where I got my idea done on breeder and I just want to warn people that a pet bunny needs a different caring that a breeding bunny!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:32 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi
Ok, I reeeally want to get bunnies now. If my friend decides to keep hers then I am trying to talk Lox into letting me buy one (or two) so I need buying tips.
[*]What to look for (genetic, health, etc).
I would check eyes, nose, genitals, ears. Eyes should be bright and clear with no white discharge. They do get night dust in the corner of their eyes like humans do and that is not a problem. Check their nose is dry, a rabbits's nose is usually only wet if is overheated or it has snuffles (white snot). Or if the breeder/owner uses water bowls and it has been sticking it's nose in. LOL
Genitals should be pink and healthy looking. Make sure there no signs of diorrhea, or scabs. If you are buying a young bunny, they do sometimes sit on their night faceas which squishes all over, but you just need to pull it off.
Ears should be clean inside. If they have ear mites it will look all scabby and crusty inside.
Quote:
[*]Differences between males and females.
I go on a individual basis.
Quote:
[*]Are there many differences between breeds?
I would say there are between some breeds, some breeds also have reputations as being really bouncy, or really calm, or more nervous than other breeds. The Netherland Dwarfs for example were always said to be bad for young children, because they were kind of skittish, but I think it also depends on what the breeder is breeding for. I have super friendly Netherland Dwarfs, who will sit in your lap and lick you and love to sit there and be petted.

I tend to advise people with younger children to go for bigger breeds. The little breeds are easy for little hands to pick up, but they are also easy to drop.

I don't know if you can get your hands on a copy of the Critter 2005 magazine, but there is a description of some of the more popular pet breeds in there. Also if you go to the American Rabbit Breeders Association home page, you can see a picture of the different breeds, plus links to their individual website.

If you have an English Lop breeder near you, definately check those out. They ooooze personality and are big gentle giants. I just recently got one by accident LOL We went to a show and we were looking for an English Lop for a friend of ours (he did want one btw) and I stopped to look at some and the lady opened up the carrier and this one 10 week old climbed out of the carrier and into my lap. I looked at my husband and he knew I was smitten. I never buy animals on impluse like that, but this labrador puppy in a bunnies body just stole my heart. We found another lop for my friend too. They have a 3 year old and when the bunny stretches out for a nap, the kid goes and lies down next to him.
Quote:
[*]Anything else you can add.
I'll think about it.
Quote:
[*]Questions to ask the seller/breeder.
Ask them about trimming nails? See if they will show you how they do it. How do they pick the bunny up? If they pick the little baby up by the scruff of it's neck, RUN!!! Ask about the personallity of the parents. You can even ask to see the parent's to give you an indication of how big it will grow. Ask whether they have a warranty. Find out what diet it is being fed. How old it is? Don't buy a baby under 6 weeks old.
Quote:
[*]Where is the best place to get a bunny?
If you want to know the personality already and not get any little surprises I would adopt an adult from the shelter. If you want to start off with a baby I would get one from a breeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 AM

Christi there are Mini Lops and Holland Lops. The Holland is the smallest of the two.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:46 AM

I have a Netherland Dwarf (mix) and he is GREAT with my 18 month old son. He like to run but when he wants lovies, he will come to me or my son. And my son is so gentle with him. And that goes with what I was saying about rabbit breeds, they can all be great pets.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thank you for taking the time to post such great information, Catherine! (We're still working on your sig, btw.)

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine
I tend to advise people with younger children to go for bigger breeds. The little breeds are easy for little hands to pick up, but they are also easy to drop.
What would you suggest? The bunny will be mine but of course Ryland will think it's his! LOL He's pretty good with animals, even held baby chickens and ducks when we visited the farm so I'm not too worried.

I don't want anything TOO big, though.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 12:02 PM

LOL You mean you don't want a Flemish Giant?

I think a Mini Lop or Holland Lop would be fine. It's hard to resist those big loppy ears.

When we have families with young children coming to look at rabbits, I tend to take them in the sitting room where everyone can sit on the floor and then get the kids to sit cross legged and then the bunnies can be placed on their lap and petted that way. Most rabbits don't like being picked up at the best of times, and if they think there is nothing below there back legs will struggle and kick because they are scared so if he is going to be holding it have him sit on the ground and then he can hold it on his lap. That way it will feel safer and he won't be put off my them kicking.

You can also ask the breeder how often they handle them. I hold ours the day they are born and then just about everyday until they leave here. They are then used to being picked up and are calmer when handled.

I get our bunnies used to being held like a baby in the crook of your arm on their back when they are little. They kind of trance out and relax, this makes it easier to cut nails.

I can't remember what I was going to say next LOL. I can ramble on all day
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Sounds like I need to get a bunny from you! LOL

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:04 PM

Great info Catherine! I'm sure many breeders are very caring and educated about their buns, just like you are . I don't have much experience with lops but I'm sure they make great pets. Christi, if you don't end up getting a lop, I highly suggest a mini-rex. I think they have great personalities and would be good with kids. Rusty is very patient, and he climbs all over me. When he is out laying on the floor somewhere, Mike can walk right by him with his big feet lol, and Rusty doesn't even flinch. I think he would be great around kids. Just my two cents but I'm sure lops or any bunny that you decide on will be great!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thanks, I will research them!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Tags
ear mites, flemish giant, holland lop, holland lops, mini lop, mini lops, mini rex, netherland dwarf, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, pine shavings, water bowl