Buyer's Guide - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Buyer's Guide

Ok, I reeeally want to get bunnies now. If my friend decides to keep hers then I am trying to talk Lox into letting me buy one (or two) so I need buying tips.
  • What to look for (genetic, health, etc).
  • Differences between males and females.
  • Are there many differences between breeds?
  • Anything else you can add.
  • Questions to ask the seller/breeder.
  • Where is the best place to get a bunny?

Off to check out the links posted earlier.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 11:03 AM

1) What to look for (genetic, health, etc): Well for starter, a good vet is the one that will give your new bunny a check up. He will listen to your new bun's intestinal noise, check teeth, check nails, verify gender etc.

2) Differences between males and females. I think its a personnal choice. Females are more expensive to spay than males. My male is really nice and affectionnate.... It is hard to tell the gender of a bunny when he/she is too young.

3) Are there many differences between breeds? Once again it's a personnal choice. If you prefer a small breed, you should go more for a Netherland Dwarf, Hotot Dwarf. Holland Lop, they go up to 4 lbs. Bigger onces as Angora Giant and Chinchila Giant goes over 12 lbs. All rabbit breed makes good pets if they are well taken care of!

4) Anything else you can add. Yes, read A LOT about a bunnies diet! Read about their needs before getting one. Here are good links: http://www.carrotcafe.com/ and http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html

5) Questions to ask the seller/breeder. Pet shops don't know much about bunnies. VERY often they say it's a Dwarf bunnie to get people buying them and OFTEN they grow to be big. So the best thing to do is read about the caracteristics of the breed you want, and look at a lot of pics. Petshops wont fool you if you know what your breed is suppose to look like. Second, DONT take adive from breeders!!! They raise bunnies for production so their diets are different from what a pet bunny should be. They will tell you not to spay/neuter....and we all know that it's the best thing for a pet bunny. They will tell you that using pine or cedar shavingwoods are ok when it's NOT. There again...do a lot of research.

6) Where is the best place to get a bunny? Probably at a breeders you will get the breed you want. At shelters, you'll have a older bunny that is already spayed/neutered but at least you'll know if he/she is affectionnate. Those bunnies needs lots of love. Then again follow your heart, when you find the right bunny you'll know it. That's how I got mines. I wasnt looking for one and my Bun just took my heart.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

My friend is going to keep hers but she's giving me the info for a local breeder nearby. I will be going out to see them sometime this week, hopefully.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:36 PM

I got my two from the Bunny Bunch rescue. Getting them from a rescue is nice because they have has them in foster care and they know their temperments. They are also already fixed (usually). I have never gotten an animal from a breeder so I can't give any advice there. As far as breeds go, dwarf breeds tend to be more on the fiesty side. Although I have heard of larger bunnies being that way as well. Cheetara (PT member) has a lop who is very hyper, and I used to have a large mixed bunny who had behavioral issues...so you never know what your going to get lol. Mini rex rabbits are a nice breed. I have heard good things about them from anyone who has had one before. Rusty is a mini rex (about 4 lbs) and he is smart, calm, sweet, playful, clean...pretty much the perfect bunny. They also have really velvety soft fur, which is really nice. So if I had to suggest a breed, I would say rex or mini rex. Mixed bunnies are nice too though. Sonora is a mix and I love her. She's great.

I'm not sure about differences in personalities between male and female, because I haven't had enough bunnies of each sex to form an opinion about that. Mojave is a male, and he was very hyper and never satisfied, but Rusty is a sweetie. Sonora (female) is a sweetie too. Rusty tends to enjoy running around more than Sonora. Sonora likes being out of her pen, but she tends to follow me around. I think males may enjoy their freedom more. I know there are people on here who have had a lot of bunnies, so they could probably give you more info on that.

I can't wait to hear about what you decide to get!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:41 PM

Good luck with getting a bunny, or more!
I got my rabbits from a pet store, but they're great pets. They had parasites, but we got that taken care of, and they have such bold personalities. No matter where you decided to get your rabbit(s) it will be the right choice.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Two of mine were from a small, family-run pet store and my other rabbit was being given away for free...she had been a hutch bunny. I agree with Sandra, petstores usually have no idea what they're doing. My 'Dutch' turned out to be a Britannia Petite. They also said it was ok to use pine shavings. However, other then that, they weren't too bad...
I've never gotten a bunny from a breeder so I can't help ya there...
When getting a bunny I'd say watch them for a while to see their personalities. Make sure none of the bunnies are sick because even if one is then the others may be too. make sure they're fairly active and if you pick them up they shouldn't be completely wild and shouldn't bite you. Also make sure there is no discharge from the eyes or nose. Also make sure they aren't coughing or sneezing at all. When I got Sake (my mini-lop), she only sneezed once in the petstore and I ignored it and bought her...turned out she had a cold.
As far as genders...it's mostly preference. In the long run, I've found males to be more bold and social and females to be a bit more independent and playful. They're all sweet, though. I currently have three females and one is bold and playful, one is independent but sweet, and one is a complete lap bunny =). So, there's not much of a difference.
With breeds, it's also preference. Breed can help you decide the basic temperment and care for a bunny. But there are always exceptions. Brittania Petites are supposed to be independent and skittish but mine is a complete sweetheart who'd rather cuddle then play ^_^.

Like everyone said, do alot of research =).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 06:52 PM

Another advice, I say the bunny will choose you...not you choosing a bunny. My bunny came right to my son at the petshop. I guess that is important. Even if there is a bunny that is cuter, the bunny that will go see you is the bunny for you! Look at those pics. I had my camera with me that day I went out with my son. My son and the bunny liked each other right away. I was so lucky to have the camera that day because that was the first time we saw Bun...even then, never thought of getting him...until I got home and saw the pics.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 07:34 PM

Red face

I got my 2 female bunnies from a pet shop, they were 6 weeks old when I got them, and are mini lops.. I didn't mind whether they were male or female, as either make great pets.. The only thing is females are more expensive to neuter, which I recommend if you are not using them to breed from..
Good luck choosing them, it will be a hard decision, I would probably come back with loads..
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 09:43 PM

Hey, lol as Sandra was saying about the pet stores not telling you the rigt breed, I think thats the case with me, because my bun is already alot bigger then what she should have been. If I put some pics up do you guys think you can help me figure out her breed?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBunny
Hey, lol as Sandra was saying about the pet stores not telling you the rigt breed, I think thats the case with me, because my bun is already alot bigger then what she should have been. If I put some pics up do you guys think you can help me figure out her breed?
yeah, put up her pic! ^_^

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok everyone has different advice here and it'a always the way when it comes to rabbits! You have to take in the info you believe to be true. I don't reccomend a Netherland dwarf as a kids pets as they tend to be quite skittish. Lop breed seem to be the best temperment (that I've been around) and for sweetness and bonding with their family I prefer boys. They are cheaper to neuter too!! But if you want two then you can't have two boys! They'll more than likely fight.

Start looking up different breeds of rabbits on the net and see what you think will fit in with you, lox, and ryland. If you want a rabbit to be totally in love with you guys and worship the ground you walk on then get one...providing you are able to give him/her the attention she needs!!! They need lots!!!! If you can house them somewhere that you walk through pretty regularly, so they at least get to see you if you are too busy!! My bunny's room comes directly off the kitchen and you have to walk through there to get to the laundry and the toilet so even when I'm getting ready for work I'm talking to them and they are watching me.

One thing is for sure....you are going to be a great bunny mommy cause you are doing all the research first!

The only rabbit I have ever gotten from a breeder was Rodger....he was very badly bred but then I didn't do my research either so it was my fault too. Whoever you buy from make sure you feel comfortable with what you are getting...if you have any doubts then don't get it!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 08:57 AM

Sure! I'd love to see your bun "LolaBunny"!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

What are good sites for viewing/reading about the different breeds?

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:38 AM

Do a google search on rabbit breeds. It's the best you can do if you really want to see what they look like.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:56 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
5) Questions to ask the seller/breeder. Second, DONT take adive from breeders!!! They raise bunnies for production so their diets are different from what a pet bunny should be. They will tell you not to spay/neuter....and we all know that it's the best thing for a pet bunny. They will tell you that using pine or cedar shavingwoods are ok when it's NOT. There again...do a lot of research.
I don't know what experience you have had, but it certainly doesn't give you the right to tar all breeders with the same brush. When people buy pet bunnies from me I do advise them to get them spayed and neutered.

Tags
ear mites, flemish giant, holland lop, holland lops, mini lop, mini lops, mini rex, netherland dwarf, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, pine shavings, water bowl