Buyng rabbit cages need your yeys or neys! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Buyng rabbit cages need your yeys or neys!

Ive been seeing lots of fun looking designs by Iris, but there are always flaws. Any rabbit I foster or adopt would be smaller, like a dwarf lop and mini rex. This rabbit is also going to have the run of my room 24 7 pretty much...this room is rabbit, ferret, rat, mouse, hamster, dog, and cat proof. LAWL.

Im really still lost on rabbit cages. :C
US doesn't have the best selection, ive found some great ones but of course they were from UK shops and they just dont ship here.
C&C cages dont work for me either.

What bout the cat cages Martin makes? Would any of those work for a rabbit?

I have a friend who makes cages (well more like a college) who I adopted RayRay my chinchilla from. But they are wire floored..my worst nightmare is bumblefoot/sore hocks.
The floor would be 1/2 by 1/2. From her I can get a cage for $50 thats big and will last me years. but...will the bunny like it?
I doubt it. And if i cover the entire floor whats the point of buying it from her and making her go through the trouble of making it?

Cage One
Iris double checker cat cage. It would need modification shelves.
It can be taken down to just one level where it will be about 25inches tall including wheels. It has potential, but after modding im not sure I can spend that much money...Its still a nice cage size wise.
What will an untrained rabbits urine do to the bottom too? :C

Cage Two
This cage is probably a bad idea no matter which way you put it!
Its plastic...but the design behind it is very interesting and savvy looking to me.

Play Pin Cage

I thought this was great, excluding the wood the rabbit might chew. Could a smaller rabbit jump it though?

Last edited by bokuza; 07-31-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Rodentologist

The tower style cages aren't ideal, and you may have a lot of problem litter training rabbits in them. A lot of rabbits won't bother using a litterbox if the cage is too small.

The second cage is ridiculously small, only 4 square feet. And the last one needs a top as most dwarfs can clear it easily.

I'd say buy a dog exercise pen or figure out the issues with the cube cages and learn to build one. Also don't be fooled into thinking that because you're going to foster a dwarf that you need less space -- they're a TON more active than bigger and more sedate rabbits, and will definitely use it when they're penned up.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Betta Bomb

Im pro-NIC cages. Bought all my pieces at Wal Mart for 20$ a pack and its so easily constructed using cable ties, you can mold the shape to fit any room and bunnies simply love the space and freedom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Rodentologist

Also our cat thinks that sleeping on top of them is the best place to sleep.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Hmm yes I know dwarfs are VERY active. I know that haha.
I figured these cages are a no go.

Ive tried large dog crates, it was terribly messy and im not doing it again.
There are no available resources for C&C here.
Im not kidding, dont ask "are you sure?" I drove for days looking for them.
Not here. At all. And Im not ordering them online. Thats just ridiculously pricey for just the frame.

I dont think using a dog pen could work either. :C
Only because i cant find very good flooring and then there is the issue again of litter and bedding and pills everywhere all over my carpet outside the cage.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Rodentologist

None at all? I know this sounds dumb, but I buy my grids at Target or Walmart. You don't have either? Bed, Bath, and Beyond also has them in stock most of the time. Target has them in the store, and Walmart has an online ship to store. It doesn't cost any shipping at all.

The flooring is coroplast. You can buy it at any sign shop. If you have any realtors or politicians anywhere in a 50 mile radius of you, you have a shop with signmaking supplies. It costs about $15 for a 4'x8' sheet. It will roll up and fit into your car. I know you're going to say "haha no way, never ever", but I drive a Honda. I can put 3 entire sheets in my back seat if you roll it up.

Honestly, it sounds like you decided way ahead of time that you're going to put your rabbit in a pet store cage and are not interested in working at all to provide more room to them.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Y du u poozh mah buttuhnz zo?? I already said no they arent here. Regardless of stores, because ive been to all of them.
Im very serious when i say none. The closest i found was a cloth cube and thats a no go.

Chloroplast cost a bit more than that and thats fine...but I still have to worry about pills and things going everywhere.
If i make one of those will it resist urine...or soak through or corrode?

Thats not true, im just a little peeved because I feel limited, I would like to get a C&C cage, but for my house and where i am it will leave me with nothing to my name.
I keep hearing dog crates shoves down my ears. I keep saying, dog crates no ty. Did that didnt work.
I also keep hearing about pet gates and buying flooring for it, which is fine but there are so many things that can go wrong with it in my head.

Like what if the bun gets through the flooring to the carpet.
Or it starts peeing where it corrodes, what if it tries to jump it but doesnt make it?
how does the rabbit get in an out of that cage?? Most gates i see dont have low enough doors for rabbits.
Hay is going to fly everywhere through the gates openings, what if the rabbit decides to start kicking bedding out?

Last edited by bokuza; 07-31-2009 at 11:45 AM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Rodentologist

To get them from Walmart, you go to walmart.com, buy them, and select ship to store. They will send them to any walmart store, even if they don't carry them in stock.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5005199

They have some other colors too.

I said a dog pen, not a dog crate. A dog PEN is made for dogs to exercise in. It's a different thing.

Coroplast does not corrode nor will it soak through, it's solid plastic. They use it for outside yard signs. I've had coroplast cages in continuous use for almost 5 years now with the original coroplast. Our director has a piece that's been in use for 10 years.

Hay is going to fly out of any cage except for a solid plexiglass box. That's part of having an animal that eats hay. NO CAGE will completely keep hay inside.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I know you said dog pen.

I get that hay will fly normally, im just wondering if excessive amounts will fly out.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Rodentologist

I get more on the ground taking it to the cage than they throw out, normally, especially if it's good quality hay. I usually put a cheap carpet down underneath the cage to make sweeping up errant hay a bit easier.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
is a little "special"

How about this cage?? Its 47.25 x 23 x 22
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/vpasp/....asp?id=123352

Its the biggest Petstore cage Ive ever seen. If I didnt alreay have a nice cage for Smudge, I would have bought that one!
Have you checked Craigslist for a cage?
And theres always the option of going cage-less too.
But IMO it doesnt matter if your cage is a tad on the small side if they are just going to be in it at night, or short periods of time. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Rodentologist

I have a couple of those for guinea pigs, and they do meet the bare minimum size requirements for pigs. But the cage top is pretty low and a binkying rabbit will slam into it. Plus, once you stick in a litterbox, etc, there's not going to be much running room.

ETA: I personally wouldn't let the rabbits roam your room at night -- you just went to the hospital with an allergic reaction to the last rabbit you took in, right? What happens when the rabbits hops onto your bed and pees on your pillow? Or poops in your bed, or on your floor, etc?

Last edited by Jennicat; 07-31-2009 at 02:16 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Honnestly rabbits are usually messssssssy no matter what type of cage you get.

I bought my rabbits a $500 cage...it's awesome, but they still make a mess! I've had them in NIC cages, large dog cages, pens, even a pet store cage once (but they had free range of their room at that time so wern't locked in the cage), and they still made a mess no matter the cage they where in.

Cleaning up hay and fur and stray poops is just part of owning a rabbit. I haven't ever came across a certain type of cage that was both healthy for the rabbit, and completly mess free.

When I used a pen, I didn't get any more hay/hair flying around than any other types of cages. I like pens, they give the rabbit plenty of space to binky around and space for a litter box and toys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 07-31-2009 at 02:23 PM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

The rabbit will be supervised. at night IF im awake, they can come out.
I never sleep much...so fotr my pets in an upside if they feel like coming out whenever they want.
Bunny should never be out unless im watching or I have a play pin set up.
Even then i wouldn't trust the play pin to be 100% safe. Im home more often than not so really, it does have the run of my room.

And about my allergies, ive got them under control. Im not exactly going to sleep on a peed on bed knowing it will give me a rash. (i have a tarp that covers the bed actually...The only reason I has an asthmatic attack was the sudden overload of allergens and the fact i didnt do anything to help myself for like 3 whole days. If i had taken some kind of medication or allergy nasal spray i would have been fine. But I ignored it....and then yeah....

I know buns are neat and im not asking for a neat bun...but if there is anyway to minimize the mess, im going to try it.

Have you guys heard of the Lieth Petwerks(sp) bunny abode cages?
They look pretty nice, I read the FAQ and they arent really made for litter training learning rabbits. They are nice but the plastic on the bottom wont last on day to day urine. Uhm what do you guys think?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
is a little "special"

EDIT: Oops, Bokuza beat me LOL

Well, I still think that cage is a pretty good option.
Most bunnies I know just lounge around and much on hay when they are in their cages, not binkying up a storm.
With a litter box, food/water dishes, a toy or two, and a shelf to lay on, I dont think it would really be THAT crowded. Smudges cage is about that size (but higher) and his doesnt seem crowded at all.
To each is own I guess though. Different cages work better for different situations and different people, and Bokuza can decide what would work best for her.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."