Cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Cage

Making Buggsy a new bigger cage, anyone have any good ideas that don't cost a lot? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have one of these
http://www.amazon.com/North-States-S...3040099&sr=8-1
with a sheet of linoleum on the bottom. I got a lineoleum remnant (end piece) at a carpet store for $14.
I put a thin rug on part of the bottom for traction.
I had to figure out how to make a cover, and settled on making one out of these http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6071-1...040277&sr=1-13
and zipties
It wasn't all that cheap, but it was easy and is very easy to clean because the entire top comes off.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 PM
is a little "special"

A NIC cage or a play pen would be a nice big and fairly cheap cage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

What is an NIC cage??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

NIC stands for "neat idea cubes". They are metal and ment to build storage shelves, but work good for rabbit cages. You can get them at Wal*mart or target, places like that. Make sure you get the right size, because some companies made the little squares in the cubes bigger so they don't work well for cages anymore. I don't personally use these anymore, but I've used them before and they are cheap and you can make big custom cages with them.

Anyways just do a google search for "NIC cage" and you should get results. Here a site to get you started if you're interested.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/NIC.shtml

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Why don't you use them?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

I have used them before, but I got my rabbits a 3 story leith petwerks cage and they have free range of a room so I don't keep them caged.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have a 4 story cage made out of them. Of course the bunnies that have that cage also have free roam of the room but Ophelia still loves getting up on the top shelf and looking down on everyone. I have also used them to keep guinea pigs in that I was piggy sitting. They are really great and you can take them apart and stack them if you aren't using them.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
... Make sure you get the right size, because some companies made the little squares in the cubes bigger so they don't work well for cages anymore...
I realized this after I destroyed the boxes. The ones I bought came with 2 size grids. The bunnies could squeeze thru the larger grids so I gave those away and used the smaller ones as a cover for the pen.