Cage size - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Cage size

What size cage is required for adopting a rescue rabbit? The organization I foster for has few rabbits, mostly dogs and cats, and there are no set rules for rabbit cage size that I am aware of. I only foster rabbits that are unlikely to be adopted, and don't really deal with the adoption process. Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It depends on the organization as rescues are all free to set their own rules. For example, as far as I know, the SPCA has no written rules on cage size.

The sanctuary that I've adopted rabbits from simply asks that they see the enclosures--they don't have an exact size that they're looking for, although tiny store-bought cages wouldn't be acceptable. I think they don't care as much if the rabbits will mostly free-range which was my case.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think most new rabbit owners start out with those pet store cages, and when they know better, they do better. I get upset when I see those outdoor hutches in pet stores, because I think they are way too small. Years ago the Humane Society used to recommend outdoor hutches should be 6 ft long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild View Post
I think most new rabbit owners start out with those pet store cages, and when they know better, they do better. I get upset when I see those outdoor hutches in pet stores, because I think they are way too small. Years ago the Humane Society used to recommend outdoor hutches should be 6 ft long.
Yeah, I agree, it frustrates me that pet stores can sell such small cages and hutches. Then again, it's the same for most animals. For example, there are no guinea pig cages I know of on the market that actually provide enough room for a pair of guinea pigs.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Yeah, I agree, it frustrates me that pet stores can sell such small cages and hutches. Then again, it's the same for most animals. For example, there are no guinea pig cages I know of on the market that actually provide enough room for a pair of guinea pigs.
When we had a guinea pig, I bought a rabbit hutch for him. It seemed to be the right size for the little pig, but I wouldn't put a rabbit in it. I wish they would sell cages you could add onto by removing an end and putting two or more cages together.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 AM
the rodent lover<3

How big is your rabbit?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
How big is your rabbit?
Most of my rabbits are about 6 1/2 pounds.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

our humane society will give cages to foster parents to use.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

This isn't from a rescue, but I always recommend to get the biggest cage you possably can. Pet store cages just arn't big enough, not even for the smaller breeds of rabbits (in my opinion) because of their high activity level.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I was one of the stupid people that bought a cage at the pet store when we got Tabby. I knew NOTHING about rabbits and had not planned on getting one - but she hopped in front of my car. No one claimed her so she became our bunny.
She didn't stay long in that little cage. I still have it and have used it when bringing home bunnies until they are a bit used to the house. Usually a couple of days.
We made a NIC cage for Ollie and Ophelia. It's 2 squares wide and 4 levels high. Of course the doors have only been locked a couple times. Once was when the electrician were putting the box in the ceiling of their room so we could hang a light and ceiling fan. They are baby gated in our middle bedroom, Penelope is baby gated in the back room and Teddy is gated in the front bedroom.
Xpens make good enclosures for buns as well.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
rabbit adoption, rabbit cage