Camping with bunnies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Camping with bunnies

Hello all, I am a first time bunny mommy (just got her about 3 weeks ago) I rescued her from our local humane society, she's a 5 month old lionhead and very cute. We go camping often in the summer and out next planned camping trip is in September. We will be gone for 3 days. I already have a playpen for her to go outside in and a purchased a different cage so that she has a "house" in our trailer for when she's inside (her cage isn't transportable). I'll be bringing her things from her "home" cage into her "camping" cage so that she has familiar things around.

Is there anything else that I need to know or can do? Has anyone else taken their buns camping before, can offer advise?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Trixie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I don't own rabbtis but one lady on her Raven is talking a lot about camping with her bun.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Yeah. I'm going camping this week end with my bunny. When are you going camping next? I'll let you know how this weekend goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

We're not going until September. Let me know how it goes!!

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

Why do you want to bring a rabbit camping?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have no one to watch her while we are gone.

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Newborn Pup

Bunny camping

I have taken my rabbit camping twice and I absolutely LOVE it! She's a load of fun to have outdoors, only a few key things to remember.

1) Heat kills rabbits. What we consider a little too hot is death by heat stroke, make sure your bunny has lots of water, unlimited shade and cool places to rest.

My bunny liked to sit under my truck (I camp in a tent.)

2) Predators! Bears, wolves, dogs, there are lots of things that might like to sniff out your bunny!

I let Spur out on a 15 foot nylon "leash" so she had free roam to get from kennel to shade to food on her own, but never out of eyesight.

She sleeps with me in the tent then I let her roam about in the day.

Rabbits + camping is such a wonderful experience for them, and having them around can be a treat to watch!

My spur sits around the campfire watching the flames flicker. I keep her in a medium sized dog kennel with her leash on always, and she'd sit in there or under my truck. She loved to sniff around and nibble the earthy delights!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the info Captain Kitty! We'll be taking her camping on the September long weekend (we're from Calgary as well).

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

have fun! sounds great