Carmen, Mo is being a brat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Carmen, Mo is being a brat!

LOL I waited until Carmen got back online to post this. My male rabbit Mojave has been so mean to my little female, Sonora. Lately he's been getting really agressive when he's hungry and I'm about to feed them or when he wants to be let out. He nips at her and chases her around the cage! I've tried spraying him with water but it seems to make him even more frustrated and he takes it out on her. She's very submissive to him and totally puts up with this behavior, but I feel bad for her and I want him to stop. I don't know why this just started since nothing has changed in their environment. I've read that this happens sometimes with rabbits though. Any ideas Carmen, or anyone else???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I posted this about a month ago and I'm still having problems. I'm seriously thinking about finding Mo a new home. He has a terrible attitude no matter what I do. He acts like he hates the world, and he takes it out on poor Sonora. I've tried working with him, letting him out more, giving him more veggies and hay, and anything else I could think of but nothing works. He's been like this since I got him and I think its because he was dumped at a shelter and probably had a rough life before I got him. But he's been with me now since last October and if anything, he's gotten worse. I know its hard to imagine a mean rabbit, but believe me, some rabbits can be really mean and aggressive! My husband is a major animal lover and he absoutely cannot stand Mo. He does not want to keep a pet that acts like he hates us no matter what we do. Its causing problems between us because Mo is constantly rattling the cage or rattling the gate that blocks the doorway when he is out of his cage, or trying to chew up cords, or chasing Sonora and trying to bite her. He's never content to play or just have a good time. His latest thing to do is to walk up and bite her when I'm petting her! If he was happier without her, I would get separate cages. But he wasn't happy when he lived alone which is why I got her in the first place! She is totally sweet and getting sweeter as I work with her more. She deserves more than being beat up all time.

I just don't know what else to do anymore. I've contacted The Bunny Bunch (the rescue that got him out of the shelter for me) to try to figure something out. I just don't think he will ever be happy being a house rabbit, and he needs to go somewhere we he can be outside and run around a lot of the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:25 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

It's hard Steph but occassionally it can happen...just a question has Mo been checked by a vet recently? Just wondering if maybe he has a health problem that is changing his behaviour....it seems weird that he is getting worse.
Sorry about missing the original post too...never even seen it...my bad!
Let me know what you think about a health problem. If he is in good health and you re-home him then you shouldn't feel bad...if he is picking on Sonora but doesn't want to be alone maybe he just wants to be an outside bunny. Let me know how it goes Steph.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Carmen. He does have ear problems but I have drops that use regularly for that. I don't really think its affecting his personality because like I said, he's been like this since we got him. He is getting worse but I think it has to do with me letting him out more. He wants to be out of his cage all the time and when I let him out, he wants out of the room that he's in. The rabbit is never satisfied! He takes it out on poor Sonora and she just runs from him. I have to deal with this first thing in the morning and its not a good thing to wake up to. He'll be going crazy in his cage wanting out, and then I let him out and he just rattles the gate that I have blocking off the door non-stop. Its so frustrating. I could probably deal with it but Mike can't, and I'm not going to be in constant fights with him over a rabbit who isn't happy here, and who is making us miserable too. I have never given an animal away before but in this case I think its better for all of us. I would only give him to the rescue that I got him from because they will keep him in foster care until they find him a home that fits his needs.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm off work sick today Steph so I'll do a search around and at least see if I can find out why he is behaving this way just for my curiosity as much as I'm sure you'd like to know too.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok I found this...it's not great but it's a start. I'm going to try and talk alex into letting me buy the rabbits for dummies this weekend.....it has soooooo much information in it and I've wanted it for a while. I'll let you know if I get it (I'll play on the I'm sick and need a present thing) and if there is anything in there.
http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/Rabbit_behav.pdf

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

This one is not bad also.....at the bottom it talks a bit about mental disorders in rabbits....I'll look for more info on that for you too.
http://www.bunnyrabbits.org/bunnylov...aggression.htm

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Carmen. I'll check those out. I didn't even think that he might have a mental disorder! I'm still working on rehoming him though because its just not working out.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

THat's cool Steph...I just thought if we could figure out what makes him that way his new owners may be able to help him out and make him happier.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well I finally got ahold of the Bunny Bunch lady and told her everything. She said that she had a rabbit like that once and there really isn't anything you can do about it (we were trying to think of ways to make him better). She knows that I take really good care of my bunnies and its not my fault. She said she can't just take him because she doesn't have enough room, but if I adopt another male it will make an open space and she will take Mo. That way I will get a companion for Sonora and Mo can find a home that will better suit his needs. I don't really know what would make him happy, but maybe one of the Bunny Bunch people will keep him for themselves. Either way, he will get a good home because they are very strict about who they let adopt their bunnies.

So it looks like I'll be getting a new little man. It will be sad to say goodbye to Mo, but I truly think its the best thing for everyone. He will be in the hands of experts that can find a way to make him happy. I'll be bringing him over to her house next Saturday and Sonora will come too to see if we can find a good match for her. Caroline (Bunny Bunch lady) has a possible candidate. He is a mini-rex and he's very sweet and mellow. So I'll be bringing Sonora over to make sure they get along. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Oh and thanks Carmen for all your help. I really appreciate it girl!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Steph I'm happy to help I know it won't be ewasy for you to say goodbye to Mo but if he isn't happy then he is better off being somewhere else.
Oh and I am getting the book i want today (providing it is in stock) so I'll let you know if I find anything in it.....that way you can pass the info on to the bunny bunch people.

Tags
animal lover, house rabbit, separate cages